All computers go offline randomly

Moderator: The Mod Squad

All computers go offline randomly

Postby proud_canadian_forever » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi all, I got an odd one here.

Whenever someone does any network stuff the whole thing goes down. Now what I mean by network stuff is, moving files to one computer to the next, or downloading music. while your doing those tasks no one can access the network or surf the web. When your done you have to restart all the computers to get them back online. Also randomly they will all go offline even when no one is using them. We use SaskTel DSL ( PDT_Armataz_01_19 ) We have two laptops on wireless and three desktops wired. Now since this company also offers cable through the network, I had to install a switch to allow for the three computers to work along side the four TVs. have I confused you yet? I'm thinking the 2wire router/modem is not able to handle the load, but thats just me. Any suggestions as to what I could do to solve this?

Now just to give you a picture in words.
2Wire load:
Port 1: 5 port SMC Switch - running 3 desktops and 1 TV
Port 2: TV1
Port 3: TV2
Port 4: TV3
proud_canadian_forever
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:21 am

All computers should have direct access to the ISP, and the bandwidth allowed should be sufficient to allow multiple access. Otherwise, all users will suffer above a certain data rate. But if a server is the Gateway, then it may not have enough "handles" or client allowance. For file transfers among computers, a LAN or Intranet setup is best.. and most secure.
If the TV connections are not part of true data management, then they should be taken off that provision.. and given their own source.
Some providers offer a package via cable, where you have Internet, TV and telephone service through a modem.
Then too, the time of day may mean a heavy load on the provider's servers.. and all customers will note a slow-down or temporary loss of service.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MBfans » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 am

The Router or switcher must have some problem, it cannot transfer the info correctly
MBfans
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 am

Yep, try a different switch.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby pbailey » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:09 am

5 port SMC Switch?

Is this a switch or router?

I would take off all the TV's and have the PC's on the 2wire.

If that works with no problems, hookup all your TV's to the SMC switch. I hope this is not a router!
The day you stop learning, is the day you die!

Paul
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Networking