The Mother Board
Project Panzerbox: A Tribute to Wolfenstein
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> System Modification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CustomPCMAX
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Project Panzerbox: A Tribute to Wolfenstein Reply with quote

Sponsored By:

Hi all, my name is Nate. My company CustomPCMAX is going to be collaborating with Bill at MNPCTech on custom modded gaming PC.

Overview: Bill has received a pre-production NZXT Panzerbox case. His is going to be handling the modding of the case. NZXT was really cool in allowing him to get his hands on this before it is even in stores. This will be the "first EVER modded NZXT Panzerbox". The case is going to be modded in tribute to Wolfenstein since we both have fond memories of playing these games.

Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSdJZyrsj1g

Here are some rough sketches of the plans for the case.

A window on the left side will have logo outline cut in the center and painted with a smoked acrylic window (see concept pic 1). The right side panel will have an airbrushed mural of one of the enemies with what looks to be nuclear powered gun, background is storm cloud filled dark sky and Messerschmidt flying over (see concept pic 2). The perforated mid section of the case will be painted German camouflage, with German cross painted over the front fan, and nuclear symbol from same enemy soldier painted over top fan. Light will eminate from the LED fan and cathodes.

So, you ask... "Nate, why are you involved in this project?"

I am going to be providing the "guts" to this system. I run CustomPCMAX, a small Gaming PC Building company online. Me and Bill realized that we work in the same area (Mpls, Mn), so Bill was gracious enough to let me install a PC in one of his custom modded cases. This is very exciting for me, to say the least. As we move forward, I will give some information about what parts will inhabit this killer mod. Part of the process will be seeing what kind of performance we can get from this machine, OCing, and other benchmarks.

Contact me at info@custompcmax.com

Last edited by CustomPCMAX on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be another Insane Case Mod by Mnpctech.com

Mnpctech.com accepts International Orders with Paypal Only.

Email pcbuilder@mnpctechDOTcom item description, size and quanity.
All International Orders under $100 are shipped U.S. Airmail.
U.S. Airmail can take 14 - 30 business days. Note, there is no tracking capability.
All International Orders over $100 are shipped UPS Air International with tracking.

I'll be using the new PC Cable management clamps
http://www.mnpctech.com/CableClamp.html

I did this video review of the NZXT Panzerbox LAN Case. It looks pretty awesome!

The Bullet Thumbscrews will be a great addition to the Wolfenstein theme

http://www.mnpctech.com/Bullet-Thumb-Screws.html

Side Access panel with custom window

Side access panel, after painting Wolfenstein Game logo

I'll be using machined aluminum "Targeted" 120mm custom cool Fan grills on the PSU and rear exhaust fan. I used these grills on my Red Baron case

I painted Antec 120mm red Led fan, Matte Black, for the NZXT PSU.

Concept for PC Carry handle, holds GLOCK Pellet gun

120mm Honeycomb Mesh Fan Grill for the front of the fan.

The honeycomb grill is made from 22 gauge steel and powder coated Black.

I'll be using the "Targeted" design again, it's a 120mm machined aluminum fan grill for the back of the exhaust fan.
Since the "Targeted" grill is aluminum, it requires a different type of paint and preparation before I can paint it. Scuff the surface first with a red scotch brite pad, (or med grit automotive sandpaper) then wipe off the grill with a tack cloth.

I like to use SEM brand "self etching primer" because it provides the best paint adhesion to bare metal surfaces. You want to apply a good enamel paint like "RUST TOUGH" by Krylon.

I allow the paint 24 hours to cure.

After everything the other grill had cured, I installed the fan into the Panzerbox's Motherboard tray.

Updated: 5/15/09

Last edited by Mnpctech.com on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:16 am; edited 4 times in total
Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NZXT 190mm top cooling is big, but this 250mm cooling fan from performance-pcs is even bigger, and it actually fits! I'll just have to tap new screw holes

It's the Green led version, and it's very quiet, 19 dbA pushing out 105.2 CFM!

Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a paper template for the Wolfenstein logo, I use this to mark the location for the outline I will cut, and where the real one will be painted later.

Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a huge fan of Thermalright since the release of their XP-120 Heat sink. I would preach that heat sink paired with the 120mm Panaflo L1A

I've been deep in product developement from mnpctech over the past week, so Wolfy project was on the side line till the Radeon shroud arrived from Nate.

I've always wanted to have a kick ass mural airbrushed onto a gpu shroud. I love it when Modders go beyond the viewer's expectations. Add those small details you have to look hard to find. This imho is what makes the best mods!

Using Red Scotch brite to scuff the plastic

Using "SEM brand" Black Flexible primer for plastics

Applied Krylon Flat Black Enamel

What will be airbrushed on the shroud. .....stay tuned!
Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad wants to airbrush something inspired by the "Tesla" weapon blueprint on the shroud.

Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-installed the 250mm cooling fan from performance-pcs in the top panel today, I wanted the mounting holes made before the chassis is handed off to Brad for paint.

NZXT's mounting location for included 190mm cooling

These 2 pop-rivets fasten on the perforated top panel, they prevent the 250mm fan from sitting flush and center,

I'm cutting notches in the 250 cooling fan's frame, so it will seat over the rivets

2nd rivet we need to clear.

A notch cut the frame of the 250mm cooling fan

Heres the location of the new mounting holes for the fan. (5/32 drill bit)

10/32 x 5/8" black oxide socket head machine screws
http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9q.jpg

Now the fan seats flush and center beneath the top perforated panel.

Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason NZXT didn't include a window in the Panzerbox?, Because PSU would block view of your sweet hardware..haha

It's understood because of the chassis layout, but this why I opted for smoked acrylic windows, so I can achieve a cool glow behind the Wolfenstein logo panel

PSU mounts on it's side on floor behind left access panel

To give the window panel an armoured look, I'll be attach these carriage bolt heads around the frame. I cut these yesterday with a hacksaw...lol

I attach them with Scotch DP190 2 part epoxy.

After painting the carriage bolt heads matte black, I use scotch weld DP190 2 part epoxy to fasten the heads onto the panel.

Using a ruler to align the carriage bolt heads around the frame of the panel. These will be airbrushed later with weathered & rusty effect
Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panel mods are finished, next stage is painting the real logo in place of the paper template.

Mnpctech.com
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NZXT is sponsoring this build with a Precise Power 1200W Power Supply! Bring on the hardware!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mother Board Forum Index -> System Modification All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: