MSI MS-7255 v1.2 (P4VM800) Does Not Detect Boot Device

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MSI MS-7255 v1.2 (P4VM800) Does Not Detect Boot Device

Postby smata67 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 am

This MB seems to be having IDE detection problems. I have the HDD (w/ XP) installed in Primary and it is not being picked up on boot up (have tried it as Master/Single/CS, same results). I have also installed it as Secondary, same result. I have also tried a number of combinations as PRI or SEC with a DVD drive present on the other IDE channel (both always as MASTER/SINGLE/CS). Every so often, it does detect the HDD, and proceeds to load XP normally. I have tried different cables, both 80 and 40 pin. I have tried different memory. I have tried different 12V supplies from same PS. I have also swapped out the HDD with a DVD drive to see if it is the HDD (proven good drive pull from other machine), same results as with HDD, ocassionally does not detect the DVD drive. There is nothing else (video or sound card) installed on this board (all integrated devices).

BIOS is A7255VMS v1.0 dated 8/25/2006.

I have pulled the battery and reset CMOS, same results.

In BIOS: PRI and SEC IDEs are set up for AUTO detect. The HDD or DVD drive are not showing up as being detected. The BIOS has 3rd and 4th IDE, those I've disabled, as well as Floppy and RAID. When the BIOS is not detecting any drives, they do not show up in the BIOS menu, so you can't set the Boot Drive to use.

When it does happen to boot up, it appears to work fine, EXCEPT that if I have the DVD drive installed and try to access it, it may take a few minutes to detect what's in the drive. All point to some kind of IDE issue, to me.

With my limited troubleshooting skills, I have left the following to do:

1. Swap out PS. Existing PS is Thermaltake TR2-430NP. BIOS reports all voltages good.

What else?
smata67
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 am

Sounds all too familiar...

http://www.badcaps.net
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 am

if you have an open pci slot, buy a pci-ide card. you will have to make sure you can boot to such a card in the bios, but it may solve your issue.
something like this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815104214
you will need to install the card and boot up on the mobo's ide controller first, so you can install the cards driver, but after that is done you should be able to boot off the card no problem.

i agree with evasive that bad caps could be an issue, but you might be able to squeeze some more time out of this setup.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby smata67 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 am

I found one small cap near the power connector to the board showing a bit of bulging, all others visibly look ok. There appears to be only one more cap by the same manufacturer (G-Luxon) on the board, so that's promising. I have an ESR meter, so I can test all the caps in circuit in just a few minutes.

I'm still going to:
1. Swap PS.
2. Reload BIOS or newer BIOS if available.

I'll probably move this issue to the bad caps site, but I'll report back when the thing is fixed.
smata67
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby smata67 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 am

Well, I upgraded the BIOS to v1.3 and that seems to have solved the problem. I've had 10 consecutive successful boot-ups. We'll see if it holds. The original BIOS must have been corrupted. I got this P4 system minus a HDD at a garage sale for $5, so I can't complain either way.
smata67
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Any capacitor that shows a bulging top is bad. Next it may start to leak caustic fluid, which can eat through mobo traces! See this Forum thread for the "bad boys" list.

Replacing a capacitor is not hard, just requires decent soldering skills.. and an exact replacement. The Farad value should not be changed, but a higher voltage is acceptable.. never lower. Only some specific timing circuits may be affected with different voltage ratings.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby smata67 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:05 am

The G-Luxons are on the "bad" list, they are going to have to go. By the way, I mistakenly put P4VM800 in the title of this thread. It has nothing to do with the MSI board, it is an Asrock model number.
smata67
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 am

Which most likely has (O)ST capacitors that are on the bad brand list also. At least the P4VM890 has them...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby smata67 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 am

evasive wrote:Which most likely has (O)ST capacitors that are on the bad brand list also. At least the P4VM890 has them...

They look fine, but I'll pull that board and check the esr on all the caps just to be sure.
smata67
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby smata67 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:40 pm

smata67 wrote:
evasive wrote:Which most likely has (O)ST capacitors that are on the bad brand list also. At least the P4VM890 has them...

They look fine, but I'll pull that board and check the esr on all the caps just to be sure.

Upon inspection, the board P4VM800 has Rubycon, KZE (Chemi-con), and a few Lelon. The Lelon's don't have a good reputation. I'll check them all anyway.
smata67
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support