Need help overclocking E6300

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Boge42 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:58 pm

I ordered and recieved a new motherboard from Newegg. Asus P5QL Pro. At first, my two memory chips wouldn't allow the system to boot. I removed one and am getting my ram replaced.

Today I just overclocked and I got into windows and my temperatures are so much lower. I'm at like 27c idle at 2.8ghz and it just hit 52c under the orthos stress test. I'm feeling excited now! *knock on wood*

UPDATE:
I don't know how to go past 2.88 ghz 410fsb. Can anyone help me? This new board is a bit different than what I'm used to. Instead of just changing voltage settings to +.1, +.2, I actually have to type in the voltage, but with the 45nm, I'm thinking the voltages are lower than what I just came from, so I don't know what to enter.
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-E
Nvidia 7950GT 256
Sound Blaster Audigy
WD 74 GB 10000RPM Raptor SATA
WD 80 GB 7200 rpm SATA
NEC 16x dual DVD burner
TTGI 450w / 27A 12v
Windows XP Pro
Boge42
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:10 pm

According to the Intel specs page, the E6300 works with a 1066 Mhz FSB. That equates to a 533 Mhz memory speed, with a 266 Mhz base FSB.
If the max you can get from that setup is a 400 Mhz (plus) FSB, then you will never achieve that "light at the end of the tunnel".
The Asus site is not very accessible, but did find some specs elsewhere that note several model lines in that P5QL mobo family. Perhaps all models are not capable of the final FSB needed by the CPU. The 'Pro' and 'Extreme' do have the 1033 Mhz and 1066 Mhz final FSB.
If your memory is capable of the 533 Mhz bus speed, then you should be able to attain your goal. But if the memory is limited to a lower speed, then the chipsets are restricting the FSB so there is a dynamic relation for the memory/CPU bus speeds.

But one caution.. while the CPU core itself may well be capable of more than 3 Ghz working speed, its cache memory may not sustain much higher speeds than rated. Whatever maximum stability speed is achieved, that is the overall rating for each CPU die.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Overclockers Anonymous