Passive cooling Pentium III 800

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Passive cooling Pentium III 800

Postby Half-Saint » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey! I want to passively cool my Pentium III 800 rig. For this purpose, I bought a Zalman CNPS-6000 copper heatsink. Last night I tested the temps (from BIOS) and they were 48C stable. However, I decided it would be a good idea to clean the heatsink so I soaked it in vinegar-water solution for about 2 hours to remove the oxide. The problem is, the temps are now even higher than before! BIOS is reading 58C at idle and the board is not even mounted inside a case! What the heck?

Also, I just noticed that the HS is not sitting completely level on the core. It looks like one corner is slightly more pushed down than the other three. I haven't noticed this before as I wasn't paying that much attention. How can installing a Socket 370 heatsink go wrong :P Maybe the core is not in good contact with the heatsink... but it was good last night? How did this happen and what should I do? Maybe I could insert something between the CPU and the heatsink to even the pressure?

Thanks,
SainT
Half-Saint
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 am

Silly questions:

Did you apply a thin layer of heat-conducting paste between CPU and cooler like you should have?

Are you sure you mounted the heatsink the right way around and in the middle of the CPU?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Half-Saint » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 am

Yes, I'm using Arctic Silver 3. The heatsink bottom is all flat and can't be mounted any other way AFAIK since it uses a clip. This is the heatsink I'm talking about: http://zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product ... sp?idx=272

I did notice that the motherboard is a bit bent. Maybe the socket got a little deformed as a consequence because it takes a bit of force to insert the CPU eventhough this shouldn't be the case with ZIF sockets!

Anyway, last night I decided to mount the mobo inside a midi tower case. I also undervolted the CPU to 1.6V. The only fan is the one in the PSU and the temps are now 41C for the CPU and 33C for the case which I think is quite good considering the fact that they were reaching 39C idle for the CPU with stock cooler at default voltage.

I'll probably leave it at that.

Cheers
Half-Saint
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks