Painting Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Painting Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

Postby THRASHER2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Mnpctech.com Guide to Dismantle, Fill, Prep/Paint Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

You will find 3, marked cross patterns for screw locations, using blade

Once opened, these 6 screws must be removed. 3 fasten in the switch for the right hand buttons

After removing right side button switch, 3 more screws are located beneath and must be removed

Before you can remove the MX518 mouse cover, you may have to push
up the left/right mouse buttons up to clear the mouse body.
Then, gently, pull the cover off towards the rear of the mouse.

Apply masking alongside the MX518 Logitech emblem before prying off emblem with small flat head screwdriver.

Scuff surface of MX518 with 400 grit sandpaper

To fill in the emblem hole, I'm using Evercoat, Metalworks, Polyester Glazing Putty with Blue Cream Hardener (not pictured)

Mixing 1/4" size drop of Evercoat with dab of Blue Cream Hardener (not pictured)

Filling emblem hole of MX518

If you apply too much filler, use paper towel to wipe off excess filler

Allow filler to cure for 60 minutes before sanding with 400 grit sandpaper

BEFORE PAINTING: USE THE PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

1. Wear Filtered Respirator Mask, Approved For Applying Automotive Aerosols

2. Work in Well Ventilated Area

SEM Self Etching Primer #3967. This primer is intended for coating bare metal and aluminum surfaces, but given me good results
on plastic. It's the only "self-etching" primer product I've used on plastic, so I can't vouch for what type of results you'll get from other brand "self etching" primer products. If you can't find SEM #3967, for primer coating plastic, I recommend using either SEM's "Flexible primer" #39133 or Plastikote brand "Flexible primer" #467

4 coats of primer... allow to cure for at least 2 hours

Now for that custom touch, Mnpctech Airbrush Artist, Brad Galvin uses masking paper to draw Maltese cross

We applied PPG Polyurethane Clearcoat (applied HVLP spray gun), but you can use Automotive touch-up aerosol paint that is a Enamel based clearcoat

THRASHER2
Forum Terminator

Postby femina » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:22 pm

Okay friends, I tried to apply it to painted wood with a nylon brush and it looks streaky and I don’t think it will stay on. This is on the bottom trim in the staircase. I love the gold color and don't want to dilute that, but maybe I should mix the paint with paint or clear polyurethane? What would that do to the acrylic gold paint? How can I paint my wood trim with folk art pure gold acrylic paint? Do I need to prepare the wood first?
femina

Return to System Modification