Half Life 2 problem

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Half Life 2 problem

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:14 pm

On my gaming rig:
Vista 64-bit, 8GB DDR2 800, two 9800GTX cards NOT in SLI (I'm running multiple monitors), and an Intel Quad Core Q6600,
Whenever I launch "Half-Life 2" or "Half-Life 2:Lost Coast" the game starts loading, but never finishes loading. I have left it "loading" for over 15 minutes, and nothing happens...
There is a little blurb of text in the upper left corner, saying "64-bit mode active" but I don't see how that could be related...

"Counter-Strike: Source", "Half life 2 episodes 1-2" "Half Life 2 Deathmatch", and "Portal" all work just fine though...

any idea why just Lost Coast and HL2 wouldn't work? (They are the only games that say "64-bit mode active" though...)
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:46 pm

Perhaps the game wants to check for updates from the parent site ("calling home") and the Firewall is blocking it. Or there may be specific files which are not true 64-bit intents, and the OS can't load them properly. Check with the programmer source for any updates.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:47 pm

Are you running it through Steam (which I think you may be), or from a disk? If through Steam, make sure its updated. If it's through a disk, maybe the disk is bad? Also, has it ever worked, or is this the first time your trying it?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm running it via Steam, and I just downloaded it yesterday, so it should be fully updated. I have gotten the game to work before, but I re-installed Windows recently, and it hasn't worked since I re-installed. The same game works just fine on a different computer, running XP Pro 32-bit, I just don't like having to switch computers whenever I want to play a different game.

I have had HL2 for years now, and it has always worked until this point. Perhaps it's a driver problem?

I will go on ahead and bug the Valve forums...
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:31 am

I have a feeling it might have something to do with that 32 vs 64bit difference
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:58 pm

And do check with the Valve registration desk to ensure that you have an older valid registration of the game.. not a new one. The "reg.dat" file (or so named) in the program's folder should have that info.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bugmenot.com » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:03 pm

I too had the same problem. Go into your Games windows in Steam, right click on the game with the problem, go to properties. Once there, click on "Set launch options..." and type -32bit and hit OK. Now try loading your game...

Seems like HL2 isn't fully compatible with x64.
bugmenot.com
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 pm

bugmenot.com wrote:I too had the same problem. Go into your Games windows in Steam, right click on the game with the problem, go to properties. Once there, click on "Set launch options..." and type -32bit and hit OK. Now try loading your game...

Seems like HL2 isn't fully compatible with x64.

Sweet, that worked, thank you for that tip ^_^
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Half life 2 problem. Help!!!!!?

Postby kayanat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:43 am

I started playing Half life 2:episode 2 and the game has been running perfectly fine until I get to one certain point. Every time I pass this one area my computer freezes and i get an error msg saying 0x10798f3f referenced memory at 0x0e41f3c0. Memory could not be "read." Any ideas of how to fix this because I can't get past this one point and im about to have an aneurysm.
kayanat
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 am

memtest86 i think. have seen this with bad memory sticks.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Games