Folding and burning DVDs

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Folding and burning DVDs

Postby Ghen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:33 am

Whenever I'm burning a DVD while the folding processes are active it just thrashes the hard drive and sometimes results in a bad burn. Is there a way to pause or temporarily stop folding while I burn without having to reboot later?

I've tried just stopping the service and re-starting it, but that doesn't seem to work properly. Though I did try it during the whole mix up with WUs a few days ago.

Maybe I could just start the console manually and let it run as an application until my next reboot?
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:32 pm

All the options and flags and commands are available in this link.. http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html .
You would have to go directly to the folder for the F@H program, evoke the console command and add the flag [-pause].
Then close the F@H process, until you are done with the burn. Makes the burn process go much faster.
I have to do that with certain WUs when I shut down at night.. otherwise when I restart the next day, I see the message that the core was improperly terminated.
Sounds like your drive is due for a defrag process. The 'burn-proof' cache is written to the hdd.. and is read and rewritten many times during the burn. Plus the other programs in operation, such as F@H, may need rereads.

While most newer CPUs have a large L2 cache for instruction sets, only so much info can be at hand. When many multi-tasking operations are performed, the cache has to be reloaded for each process, if the instructions are complex.
And it is advisable to have at least 2 Gb or more contiguous free space on the primary or "C" partition, to ensure that any cache or virtual file can be fully written.
Yet when you burn to a dual-layer DVD, you may need up to 10 Gb free contiguous space!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team