so mad

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

so mad

Postby JayMasta » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:33 pm

Everything is plugged in right, lets start with that.
When i turn the power on, the fans run, the lights, mouse, and keyboard turn on. no beeps. The processor and motherboard are brand new.
WHY IS NOTHING HAPPENING ON THE MONITOR!!!! IVE BEEN BUILDING THIS THING FOR A YEAR AND ITS STARTING TO P*** ME OFF!

Soyo dragon ultra black edition KT400
Athlon XP 2100+
512mb pc2700
radeon 9700 pro
JayMasta
Green Belt
Green Belt

Basic Trouble shooting

Postby Garfeild_Cat » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:52 pm

Start with basic trouble shooting......

Q? 1) did it work prior to the latest addtion of software hardware.

a) Yes... remove item .... and work from there

a) NO---- has never worked..

1) detach all expansion cards
2) detach drives (floppy, HD, CD (RW), DVD, tape, etc..)
3) If main board uses jumpers
a) read manual again and verify each jumper ONE at a time for
proper position
4) Reseat the CPU (take precautions against static discharge)
5) Reseat the RAM

Try to power up with only CPU, RAM and, CASE speaker plugged in (the case speaker should connect to a four (4) pin header right off the mainboard. See manual.

If the PSU does not start all fans ... either bad PSU or mainboard

If PSU starts (fans) and mainboard does not BEEP either bad ram, cpu or, mainboard.

IF (hopefully this is the case) the mainboard beeps and appears to be happy.... Add the vid card in and try to power up again....

No vid... replace vid card with simple PCI vid card....

Vid yes ..... (GOOD) Keep going one piece at a time...
Garfeild_Cat
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Happy Hillbilly » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:59 pm

Are you positive the monitor is good? If there is a internal spkr. mounted on mobo of plugged into mobo, you should be getting some kind of beep. Try using only one stick of memory and make sure that it is in the right bank for having only one installed. It does matter what bank the memory is in on most mobos. Make sure the memory is seated good.
Luke 6:31
Happy Hillbilly
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sloopy » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:30 am

I would run the board with just the cpu and ram in ,and also case speaker.
You should get this...

Beeeeep...beep ,beep ,beep = No video card

Stick a video card in standard PCI should do...

Have you tryied run your system outside of the case?...stick it on a cardboard box...this is done to check for shorts

Have you cleared the CMOS ram?

Is your monitor cable damaged in anyway?...mine is ,i have to put it tight else my screen goes purple :P

Do you have/have access to ,another monitor to double check?

Hope some of this information helps you

Sloopy

CPU = XP2000+
MOTHERBOARD = ASuS A7S333
RAM = 512mb PC2700 [TWINMOS]
HEATSINK = Volcano 7+ 49*C
OS = WinMel
POWER SUPPLY = Q-TEC 350W
VIDEO CARD = Gforce4 MX420 t
SOUND CARD = Trusty SB16 <grins>
CASE = Q-tec Sexy black [Codename: El-Cheapo]
OEM SYSTEM = Bad Command Or File Name?
Sloopy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby JayMasta » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:11 pm

on the wires labeled "speaker" "Pwr led" etc, how do you know what side is positive, and what side is negative? If the RAM is dead, the system would not beep right? Also, my video card is A 400$ radeon 9700, so if we could solve the problem without taking the video card away, that would be nice.

Also, my brother told me today that he "accidently" dropped my RAM on the concrete floor, i think thats probably the problem

Thanks again again.
Jay Lamb
JayMasta
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Zowwie » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:26 pm

I have had the same thing happen (or not happen as the case may be) because of incompatable/bad RAM. If your brother dropped the RAM on the floor, I'd say there is a very good chance that it may no longer be in good working condition, but you won't know for sure until you trouble shoot the problem. Try a minimum configuration, re-seat everything and you might want to try a different/compatable stick of RAM as well.

As far as PWR and Activity LEDs, it's hard to tell, try therm one way, if they don't work flip them 180 degrees and try again

Best O'luck

Zowwie :)
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Zowwie
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Happy Hillbilly » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:54 pm

"JayMasta"]on the wires labeled "speaker" "Pwr led" etc, how do you know what side is positive, and what side is negative?

In general, a black wire is used for neg./ground. All of the case LEDs will hook up in the same direction, with the writing on the connectors all facing the same direction. You can not hurt anything by connecting them wrong. You can't hurt the spkr. either. If it doesn't work one way, turn it around. Here's a link to some info that might help you some.

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 924_1.html

If the RAM is dead, the system would not beep right?
It should beep repeatedly if the RAM is bad.(For Award BIOS)

Also, my video card is A 400$ radeon 9700, so if we could solve the problem without taking the video card away, that would be nice.

The only reason to try another video card, (one that is known to be working), is to determine if the original, your 9700, is faulty.

Also, my brother told me today that he "accidently" dropped my RAM on the concrete floor, i think thats probably the problem

Oooooooooohhhhh! 8O Not good! Try 1 stick of RAM from another system that you KNOW works.

Thanks again again.
Jay Lamb

You are more than welcome! :wink:
Luke 6:31
Happy Hillbilly
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Tech Support