early unit end

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

early unit end

Postby Smurfcorpse » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:38 pm

The PC that was my main rig for years has been semi retired. I use it to watch netflix in my living room. This PC has had a lot of early unit ends in the last 3 to 4 weeks. I can't figure out why because my other PCs are working correctly. The last unit it crashed on was a Protein:p2606_tet_1499
What I've done / checked
Deleted everything in the FAH directory and downloaded the latest client (console version)
Check CPU temp (45 c)
Check the board for bad caps (no visiable signs)
Set memory timings in BIOS to safe (was set to spd)
Set client priority from low to idle.
Replaced the PSU (425 watt to a 500 watt)
Swapped the ATI graphics card with an Nvidia (has been swapped back)
HARDWARE
AMD 3200 barton
Abit NF7S 2.0
ATI 1550 graphics
2 38 gb WD raptors raid 0
1 GB Kingston Value Ram
Plextor CD burnner
SONY DVD (reader only)
SECURITY SOFTWARE
AVAST antivirus
Windows Firewall
It's always funny until someone loses an Operating System!
Smurfcorpse
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:46 am

did a memtest86 check yet?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:54 pm

I would be suspect of any brand of "value" memory, unless it were of a higher speed than what is in use. That grade may not have more than 1% tolerance for higher bus speeds than rated. Go with a premium grade of memory, or the "gamer" or "extreme" class. It would not be a waste of money. And having 2 Gb of memory on the system may improve its performance drastically.
Then those hard drives.. only 38 Gb each? May be that they are nearly full, and not enough free space for the critical virtual files and cache files needed by programming! May be time to migrate to at least 80 Gb each.. or higher.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Could be the memory but its worth backing the cpu usage off to 90% and then take it down in 5% increments till it becomes stable. If it is instantly throwing up an EUE on Gromacs core but works O.K on Ambers then I would say that the sse function on The CPU has failed. This is what happened to my Barton 3200+.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Smurfcorpse » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:35 am

Pette
It does it on Gromacs but also on proteins. It's not every time and not right away. It usually fails between 20 and 30 steps. How would I tell if the SSE is bad on my CPU? Other than this the system seems fine. I mostly watch DVDs and netflix with it. I haven't run mem test as of yet.

Karlsweldt
I have been folding using this memory on this board and with this CPU for 5 years so unless a stick has gone bad it shouldn't be an issue with it being value ram. The drives are RAID 0 so that gives me a C drive of 76 GBs. I have about 12 gig free. That should be enough but I can clean off some stored files and get back another 25 GB if needed.

I'll swap some memory sticks around tonight and see what happens. If I'm still having problems I'll start to back off on the CPU.
I'll keep you posted

Thanks
It's always funny until someone loses an Operating System!
Smurfcorpse
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team