Chaos at Stanford

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Chaos at Stanford

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 am

Stanfords servers have gone into meltdown mode. No standard WU's available for 30 hours and the GPU2 server is dishing out 5801 units that fail instantly and cause the NVidia client to go into a 24 hour sleep mode. I've switched off most of my machines until they get this mess sorted out.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm

If you pick up a 5801 and you get the 24hour pause message there are 2 ways around this.

Method #1....Wait for a few minutes and restart the client, you may need to do this several times.

Method #2.....The sledgehammer method. Delete your entire work folder and your queue.dat file. Don't do this if you have a unit waiting to upload, you'll have to rebuild the queue and I'm not sure if this is possible with the GPU client.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby whiteboy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:11 pm

Any idea when the servers will be up. Cause I don't know if its because of an AOhelL dialup connection or the servers that I havn't been able to get anything or send anything out in about 2 days.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:37 pm

No idea sorry. Not getting work here either :( .

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Have had a few WUs not submitting, and the process not getting new work the past few days. Stanford should get all back in order in a day or so.
Thanks for the update.
I'm still working the 'old-fashioned' GPU status.. will wait until the economy improves before deciding to upgrade or not.
May be a big change at the helm of our "USS ship" come November 4th! The "crew" is mutinous!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:38 am

I'm finding that most of my machines are having a delay of several hours trying to download new work units. A new one I'm setting up won't upload at all - I've tried both the new and the old core. No joy.
Is there any way of selecting a different server? The curent one it's trying is 130.49.240.81, which is supposed to be working according to the status page.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:13 am

never been able to force uploads to a certain server yet. I think it's wise to keep it in your queue until thye get their stuff back in order...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 am

Closing the WU process and restarting once or twice a day (many hours between) may allow the connection to the designated server. Have had some WUs in queue for more than 3 days.. and on the start of the process another day, a connection is usually good. I shut down my system at bed time. 16 hours or so daily is sufficient to do those WUs. And saves some energy costs!
Those servers at Stanford are enduring a lot of loading.. and there may be several hundred WUs coming in or going out per hour! While they may have upper-echelon systems, they are not immune to down time.
You can also use the Console command to send any WUs in queue.. from this listing.. http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html
(Quote from link..)
-send x
Send result #x back to server. Exits after trying to send unit (successfully or unsuccessfully). Use "-send all" to send all results outstanding. If unit x is not a completed work unit then the client exits without doing anything.

If any outstanding WUs that are completed are in queue, they will be sent.. or an attempt made.. without upsetting the process of the current WU. And you can use the same process of shutting down and restarting the Console, if you cannot get a new project to work on.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:16 am

Well... I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I was going to stop the process and try reconfiguring again, but I clicked properties instead of create shortcut. Suddenly noticed at the bottom a message along the lines of 'this file came from another computer and may have been blocked' or something like that. Clicked unblock, restarted the process, and it went straight in.
Odd.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:57 am

DUH! excluded the F@H client from the firewall... :oops:

Thanks for the hint in that direction PJ...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team