securRom on steam?

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

securRom on steam?

Postby cwl157 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 pm

So if steam games now have securRom how does that work? Can't you just install the game, backup your steam games and then when you switch computers restore the steam backup and the game would be back without being "activated" again?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ghen » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Not sure if it has variations, but the kind used in Spore and a bunch of other games lets you install 5 times period. If you go over 5 times you have to call the company every time and I'm sure there's a limit. Its a horrible technology that violates the right of first sale since you can't re-sell the software as you see fit. Its a method to make you pay $60 for a rental.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby OldPhatDad » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Yeah, and Far Cry 2 is saddled with it. I was actually going to buy it (not generally a fan of FPS games but this one looked pretty damned good), but it's off my list now.

There aren't so much variations, as I understand it, rather just various functions of SecuROM v7.x that can be turned on or off. As far as I know, you will be limited to 5 activations for FC2 even on the Steam version, as Ghen suggested. (btw, 5 isn't set in stone. The publisher decides the limit. I just read that Sacred 2 has this DRM as well and they're limiting you to 2 activations).
Antec Nine Hundred
Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Mushkin Redlines 2 x2GB kit
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896 MB
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:46 pm

right even the steam store says 3rd party drm limit 5 activations but what if you download, install it, activate it and then back up your steam games. Like go to File --> Backup Games in steam. Then when you restore the backup you get all the games back as they were before the restore right? So wouldn't it already be activiated so you could just do that instead of downloading it and reinstalling it and then having to activate it.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby OldPhatDad » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 am

I can't say for sure. With SecuROM all bets are off. I wouldn't count on it.
Antec Nine Hundred
Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Mushkin Redlines 2 x2GB kit
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896 MB
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:35 pm

and why are people so against it? I'm starting to look at games like other apps, such as microsoft office, you pay for it and then you can activate it so many times and whatever and then you have to buy more licenses. Same thing for games now, and it shouldnt be suprising cause games are just as complex if not more and really stretch the limits of hardware and overall technology. Plus a game is $50 office pro is what $400 or $500 and you have a limit to how many times you can install 1 copy of it.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GodSquirrel » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 am

cwl157 wrote:and why are people so against it? I'm starting to look at games like other apps, such as microsoft office, you pay for it and then you can activate it so many times and whatever and then you have to buy more licenses. Same thing for games now, and it shouldnt be suprising cause games are just as complex if not more and really stretch the limits of hardware and overall technology. Plus a game is $50 office pro is what $400 or $500 and you have a limit to how many times you can install 1 copy of it.

Last i checked, games weren't used a productivity suites. Although with logic like this, don't come crying when games go up even more in price and have even stricter DRM
GodSquirrel

Postby cwl157 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 pm

you are correct they are not productivity suites, however, can you argue that they are not just as complex and don't take millions of dollars to produce? I am against DRM and do not agree with the way the video game industry is going about this. A drm based system installed on your computer to monitor these things is not necessary. A license per machine based system is a much better approach. You could say the game industry is behind in software distribution, since licensing is how all other software is distributed these days, its time for video games to catch up with the rest of the software industry. This doesn't mean i like it, i like buying a game for $50 and getting unlimited access to it, but thats not the software trend these days and with game development costs so high i dont see this continuing. Now the question is how will a system like this work for console based games... or can it?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Games