Mercenaries 2: mini-review/rant

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mercenaries 2: mini-review/rant

Postby ssamurai26 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:04 pm

If reviews were for some reason limited to only a single word, the one I would use for this game is: disappointment

If the limit were 2 words I would have to use: buggy disappointment

Loved the first game, but this one seems really unpolished and possibly even unfinished, or at the very least rushed.

There are endless bugs, and the characters in the game WILL NOT shutup. I read this about the game before I played it, and I thought that was a silly thing to complain about, but it is seriously annoying. I had no idea it would be that bad. It's so bad I actually turn the sound off sometimes.

Although the bugs are too numerous to list in their entirety, here are a few that have been really unforgiveable:

Loaded my game once only to discover that grenades/C4 no longer worked. Could not use or even pick them up anymore. The only fix is to start the game over.

Went to take a picture to verify a hvt kill and my character got stuck in the picture taking pose. Enemies soon showed up and started shooting at me while I was standing there holding the camera. Can be fixed by emergency medivac, costing money/fuel and the loss of any vehicle you might have arrived in.

Landed a helicopter at my main base(PMC), talked to Fiona for job info, and when I went back up to the helicopter, there was an enemy soldier climbing into it! I ran for it, but he beat me to the cockpit. My attempt to enter it was registered as a hijacking attempt and in my frustration I failed that and fell to my doom, of course losing the hard earned helicopter in the process. There is ordinarily no way for enemies to get to the helipad on your PMC in this game, it was totally random.

Do yourself a favor and do not waste money on this game. PDT_Armataz_01_02
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 pm

what do you mean by the characters not shutting up? Is it actual dialog, or just those random noises they make throughout game play?
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ssamurai26 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:52 am

hunter1801 wrote:what do you mean by the characters not shutting up? Is it actual dialog, or just those random noises they make throughout game play?

They have random dialogue that is triggered by environmental conditions, but it doesn't work properly. So for instance you will have characters yelling "hey it's the merc." "hey it's the merc" "hey it's the merc" over and over and over again until you are out of earshot.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Ghen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Also, whenever your character picks up ammo they say the same stupid lines on how an ak-47 is a semi decent weapon or whatever.

And the main character (the merc in all the commercials) has a lisp so bad you can't understand 80% of what he says.

Here's my review on the game:

Not as fun gameplay as GTA 3 or 4 (same style gameplay), but you can really blow stuff up and that is very satisfying. I'm still not going to finish it.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby RockyAMD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Played the demo, didn't like it too much.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 3.8ghz
8800 GTS 640MB
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Gigabyte DS3R
RockyAMD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:48 am

Thanks for the heads up. Been looking for a new game. Glad I won't be wasting my money on this one.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Return to Games