Gaming hrough a KVM switch ...

Like to play games? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Gaming hrough a KVM switch ...

Postby kazzamm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 am

Anyone try it? see any problems?

Looking to hopefully/finally build a new machine in the next few months will most likely relegate old machine to file server status and want to simply put a KVM switch in between new machine and old machine and me
kazzamm
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:36 pm

I have four active systems at my desk.. with two that connect to the Internet. I use a KVM with a single LCD monitor and keyboard/mouse. No problems whatsoever, unless I shut off a system before switching back to an active one.
One system is a 'folder', another is a 'gamer' and one is an older Slot 1/600 with Win 98 on it, for the (ancient) command-prompt games I treasure.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kazzamm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Awesome thanks.
I have uses windows remote desktop and asstd remote software and there is always a bit of lag so my fear was that a KVM switch would put too much lag in the whole thing and make gaming unejoyable.
kazzamm
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:45 am

With the extra cable length and circuitry associated with a KVM, you will see only a few microseconds delay.. insignificant, unless you are working within picoseconds response time. Going beyond 100 ft. (31M) with cables would effect some noticeable delays in response time.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ghen » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:52 am

with poor KVMs there can be brightness or color loss. Test it extensively when you get it, just search google for monitor tests I'm sure they exist (and are free ;) )
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kazzamm » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:36 pm

Sadly it may end up being a moot point. After months of poking at this part vs that part and hem-hawing around saying I don't need to spend the money I was moving my pc from one area to another this past couple of days and discovered that my PS2 ports had gone bad (was trying to use a different keyboard/mouse for a while) AND 2 of my 4 USB ports have gone bad. The onboard NIC went dead years ago and there is no telling how long these PS2/USB ports have been bad. The board will be 5 years old come Christmas so it looks like my dreams of a dedicated file/print server may go down the drain.

Anyone care to buy my ide drives :D (kidding for now till the board actually dies)
I have like 5 of them and newer boards can only handle 1 pair of IDE drives.

I guess if I dont buy a KVM that'll give me $20 + to spend on other parts.
And yes I know there are boards out there with 2 IDE slots but they tend to be older boards.
kazzamm
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:01 am

There are many great KVMs priced below $50.00 USD.. with shunts or bridges that keep input connections active, with little or no signal degrading. The oldest type with just a rotary switch may induce some degrading, due to "free" wiring inside.. and no bridges or shunts.

Sorry to hear your mobo is on its way out. If you still have power on the PS2 ports, it may be the keyboard controller chip.. no salvation for that. But if no power, then there is a tiny SOB component near the port stack which should have an "F1" or "F2" tag.. the fuse for the +5 volts supplying the ports. If bad, then a single strand of #22AWG wire tack-soldered across the component will bring life back to the ports. The fuse in nominally rated at around 2 amps. The single strand of wire is about that limit in current.
As to the IDE drives, they can still be used on SATA ports.. with an inexpensive adapter. Just ensure the drive's jumper is set to stand-alone or master. Even old IDE optical drives can be used on SATA ports!

Might be worth the time to do a temp install of the OS on a spare hdd, with just the mobo drivers installed.. to see if the mobo is still worth using. May be that some current drivers are corrupted.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kazzamm » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Board still works for now. I have 2 out of 4 workins USB ports w/ USB kb/mouse. Just with GAS going up an extra $1/gallon in the past week and it looking like my board is dying I have to ponder do I need a KVM switch. ATM I am just hoping this thing holds out until end of the year now.
kazzamm
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Games