dial up

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

dial up

Postby whiteboy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:40 pm

ok its been a long time since i had to deal with dial up and configuring anything. Does anybody know how to set up a tray, a console, and a smp client to dial out on its own to send and recieve WU's?
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:23 pm

Here is a link to a string of AT commands for manual modem activation. You could easily create a string file to open the modem, send/receive and then close.
Here also is some help from MS with modem commands.
And another listing of modem AT commands.
Basically, you command the modem to go "off hook" (lift receiver) and wait for dial tone.. then dial, send/receive then go "on hook" (hang up).

Or add the IE launch link into a batch file, so the F@H will open as required.. and close. Would be more efficient to just use the modem commands.. no idle pages to waste bytes.

And here is the link for http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-main .. whereon I found this notation..

I have a modem; can I use Folding@home?

Yes. It can be configured to dial up automatically, or wait until you connect. There may be some problems with modems and the screen saver version. If you are experiencing any problems, please use the console version of Folding@home.

Would first be advised to check with your ISP about manual dial-up data transmission.. for a local number. Otherwise, those LD calls to Stanford will add up!!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:28 pm

I never did figure out a way to do it :( but I've asked on The Folding Community forum.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 pm

I submitted many WUs when I was on dial-up. But never had large WUs to submit. Best you can get from a modem that is rated at 56k is max 33k duplex.. if the lines are totally silent.. no noise or cross-talk.
When a WU finishes, its time is logged. You should be able to finish all WUs in less than 75% of their due time, then find a location where wifi is in use and link up with the site before their due date. May be a bit inconvenient, but large WUs will go in as though you had DSL.
Here's a link to finding wifi hot spots.. http://iphone.jiwire.com/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: dial up

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:09 pm

I've had one reply but no real info so far but I've discovered that SMP apparently needs a permanent connection to work properly.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby whiteboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:51 pm

i dont mind having to dial out to transfer wu's. but it would be nice not to worry about it at say 2 in the morning. As for the SMP pete; I've had one run for almost 24 hours not being connected to the internet due to a cut main trunk line in my area. it posted fine so I might be able to pick tat back up instead of 4 consoles on the quad.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team