bad news

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

bad news

Postby whiteboy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 pm

come the end of the month I will be moving and the new neighborhood doesn't have any type of High Speed around. I will still be able to do the milestones but I'm going to have to limit the time I do them and such (dial up will suck). Also since I wont have the high speed I'm going to have to keep a close eye on my deadlines so I can dial out and post. Phone company says it migh be in the area around 5-6 months so I'm going to be suffering big time. Bad part is I have to dig out a old modem and install it before I move, guess it gives me a good reason to go thru and repack some of my old computer boxes of junk.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Guess some of life's pitfalls include dial-up Web surfing only!! Yes, it isn't nice to go back to DU once you have used DSL! If there is CATV service in the area, mayhaps they can offer DSL? Possibly the local library has DSL or broadband?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kylepaddock » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:36 pm

librarys have semi fast internet. I jut got high speed internet because it came in our area.
Gateway MT6707 Notebook
Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 1.6 GHz
Memory 2048 MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
224 MB shared video memory
High definition audio 2 channel
160 GB HD
8X Multi-format dual layer optical drive
802.11g wireless LAN
4 USB 2.0 ports
One VGA port
One S-Video
One IEEE 1394
One PCMCIA Slot

If you have done a transaction with me, please fill out my heatware. http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=64039
kylepaddock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Myth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:57 am

Oh dude! I'm sooo sorry. Once I got high speed I became spoiled. When I would visit my mom over the holidays she only had dial up. I forgot how s l o w that can be. Thank goodness she's now on DSL.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Re: bad news

Postby evasive » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:38 am

whiteboy wrote:come the end of the month I will be moving and the new neighborhood doesn't have any type of High Speed around. I will still be able to do the milestones but I'm going to have to limit the time I do them and such (dial up will suck). Also since I wont have the high speed I'm going to have to keep a close eye on my deadlines so I can dial out and post. Phone company says it migh be in the area around 5-6 months so I'm going to be suffering big time. Bad part is I have to dig out a old modem and install it before I move, guess it gives me a good reason to go thru and repack some of my old computer boxes of junk.

Ask Pette Broad on how to organize things, he's had his farm on dialup for quite a while.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Most dial-up services have an "accelerator" program that does give a boost to speed, but with some loss of image files.
Had used DU for several years, before going DSL. My WUs seemed to turn in with no problems.. just take a lloonngg time!
The only way to get good speed from a DU modem is by going simplex.. with two modems, one Tx only, the other Rx only. But finding a service which would accommodate that setup? Not easy!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby whiteboy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:00 pm

just got to wait and see. when i first got my phone line around 4 months ago the website and the csr said it wasn't in my area, but the service tech i talked to said it was since he has been hooking it up all up and down my street for about 6 months. if i checked the website now it still shows my address not having it. keeping fingers cross that when i move i'll plug my modem in and get a signal and their records just dont show it when it is there. I'm keeping my eye open for any techs working the lines around that area and going to ask them just to double check.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Re: bad news

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 am

evasive wrote:Ask Pette Broad on how to organize things, he's had his farm on dialup for quite a while.

Yes, I was on Dialup for the first 12 months that I folded. Things were different then though as Tinkers and smallish Gromacs were the order of the day. Downloads were pretty small, less than 100k if I remember correctly, and uploads were usually under 500k and very rarely over 1mb. You could also download (and upload) timeless units in batches which made it easier.

Not impossible, but difficult to do these days I guess. You would need a good Folding monitor and a lot of patience :)

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team