Can't installF@H on new computer!

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 28, 2008 4:44 pm

What of all the other programs that are installed to the 'Program Files' folder, including games and whatnot? Is MS singling out certain operations?
May be another reason I never go with Vista, if this is true!!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Eddie2001 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:11 pm

So far both instances of F@H are chugging right along and it looks like the 2 w/u's will finish tomorrow sometime.

However, there is something strange going on...I have both instances of F&H installed as non-auto starting. I did put an icon on the desktop for each one..and when I start them up, the 1st one starts fine. When I click on the 2nd one, for some reason it thinks it is the 1st copy, and quits. I then double click on the 2nd copy icon again, and it loads and runs fine.

What is that all about? Related to not putting F@H in the Program Files folder??

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dougsherwood1320 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Make sure your "machine IDs' are set correctly. I did not see this info in the thread.
The first instance should be machine ID 1 and the second should be machine ID 2, and so on. I run four on my quad and no problems.
SOME THINGS MUST BE BELIEVED TO BE SEEN

MEMBER- MOTHERBOARDS.ORG FOLDING TEAM
>>>>>>>>>1,000,000 POINTS<<<<<<<<<
dougsherwood1320
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Check the properties of each link. Each should relate to specific folders. In different locations!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Eddie2001 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:12 pm

Something is still messed up here....just cannot get it to run correctly at all. I guess Vista doesn't like F@H or vice versa. Machine ID's were set right, (1 & 2) but for whatever reason I can only get one instance to run at a time.

I deleted everything (the F@H uninstall program leaves a lot of stuff in the registry - so I manually deleted all of those things as well) and I guess I'll just fold on the XP laptop for now.

Maybe I'll try F@H on this new machine later....

Thanks!

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 31, 2008 4:50 pm

You could try copying over the [client.cfg] file from one setup to the other. Just ensure that the 'machine ID' is changed for the second setup. Whichever file is larger, use that. Do the copy only when the programs aren't running.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Eddie2001 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:49 am

All seems to be running fine now. On another thread someone mentioned how only one GUI instance can run at a time, regardless of how many cores you have.

To be completely sure, I searched the registry and deleted all references to Pande, etc. that I could find (the uninstall program leaves a lot behind!) and then started all over. I did use the option to run the program as an administrator during install, so that might have helped as well.

There are now 2 instances running happily now here ...

Thanks!

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:12 pm

Ah, yes! Only one graphical client can run at one time! Should not have assumed that there were two console clients working!
That is why I prefer the console versions.. no interaction, each a separate entity!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team