Can't installF@H on new computer!

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Can't installF@H on new computer!

Postby Eddie2001 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi all,

I just got a new computer (HP a6419fh) with Vista Home Premium and a Intel E2180 dual core processor (and a killer 22" HP LCD monitor!)....however, when I try to install F@H, nothing happens! I get a warning asking whether or not to run the program, I click OK, but then nothing.... I checked the add/remove programs, and F@H doesn't show up, so I guess it is not installing for whatever reason.

Stanford's website says it is Vista compatible....

Any idea what is wrong, and how does one set it up for dual cores?

Thanks!

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Vista Home Premium should have no problems with 32-bit programs. But MS has taken a blanket approach of unfriendliness to some third-party programs. Strange, though, that MS may have a lot of computers running F@H in their HQ!

If you are running the Console version (preferred), that is an executable program in its own right. If you want to install it so it is a service-launch program, or non-service launch, your choice. But when in a service-launched mode, it can never be truly shut down. And if you need maximum data flow for intensive games or other needs, it will still be in operation in the background. In non-service launch mode, it will shut down completely, when desired.

Easiest way to install: Create a new folder called Folding@Home1 in the Program Files folder. Copy that {504-console exe} file to it. Open the folder, and use the command line {504-console -configonly} which will set the operation. Set your user name, team # and other specifics. Set processor use for around 90% or 95%. And add the {-adv methods} flag for configuration, as well as allowing the SSE options. Once done, then launch the program. It will contact Stanford, and download what files are needed for the core operations, as well as your special machine ID #. And then it will DL a WU and begin processing.
You could create a "Programs" folder, and then create another Folding@Home2 folder. Follow the same previous process. Once launched, it will take a second WU and process it.. with no interference between WUs. The OS will automatically assign each CPU core for the optimal data processing.. no need to worry about that.
Create a link for each 504 Console command, and drop it either on the desktop or in the 'Start Up' part of the start menu. It would auto-launch whenever you start. You would want to use the F@H monitor to track progress of the WUs. That program also doesn't need to be installed.
There are a list of command options for the F@H Console.. worth keeping in each F@H folder for reference.

Good luck, keep us posted.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Eddie2001 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the quick reply...however, the console version does not work either!!

After installing and setting as per your instructions, it says "cannot extract core"???

What now? :)

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Eddie2001 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:29 pm

OK - I did get the core to extract - the program has to be run as an administrator.

But wait - there's more! I got 2 instances of the console program running (non-service) but after 15 minutes or so, still nothing is happening....still says (on both) completed 0 out f 250000 steps.

Shouldn't there be some kind of indication of the progress being made??

Thanks again!

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby whiteboy » Tue May 27, 2008 5:15 am

first off are you running the basic program or the SMP program for running on dual/quad core machines?

second Karl did hit it on the head BUT DO NOT INSTALL IT IN THE PROGRAM FILES FOLDER. F@H software and vista do not like each other in there, instead just create a new folder on your c drive and install it in the new folder.

as for two copies running try restarting the system its possible you may have a conflict with two installs and running as service. and yes you should see some progress after awhile depends on the machine and the core you download.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Eddie2001 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:17 am

OK...finally got everything running now. I guess I was just not waiting long enough for things to start working. It does look like this new machine will be turning out WU's fairly quickly, at least compared to my old AMD T-Bird system.

Another question - once I turn off and scrap the AMD, what happens to any WU's in progress on it? I assume that Stanford allows for that happening somehow...

Thanks again for your help!

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Eddie2001 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:21 am

Hi WhiteBoy,

Looks like we were both posting at the same time! I am using the 5.04 program, and I did install them in the Program Files folder as per Karl's instructions. It seems to be working just fine, at least so far. Both copies are chugging away....later today when I get home from work I'll start the computer up again and let it run for a few hours and make sure it can send the completed WU's in.

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Eddie2001 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 am

One more thing - I note that both copies are running the same WU - at least I think they are. Both say >>Protein: p4432_Seq41_Amber03<< and >>Project: 442 <Run 342, Clone 78, Gen1> <<

Is this OK, or did I hose up something???

Eddie
Eddie2001
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 27, 2008 3:27 pm

If you have two setups for F@H, you MUST create separate folders for each process.. as I noted (Folding@Home1, Folding@Home2) or similar.

(Quote by whiteboy..)
BUT DO NOT INSTALL IT IN THE PROGRAM FILES FOLDER. F@H software and vista do not like each other in there..

Strange to hear that.. wonder what else MS has done to screw up "good things"?

Some WUs are very complex, and may take an hour or more per frame.
And some take less than 15 minutes per frame.
Very likely you may have two identical WUs in progress.. not uncommon.

Advised to not use a screen saver that has motion or a lot of detail.. you will be wasting CPU cycles. The best saver is the 'blank screen' after 5 mins. or so. And Stanford does have a screen saver that minimally affects the data needs.
There are new Console versions that can work with the GPU engine, and turn out surprisingly fast results. But not all video cards work with the process.

If your computer is on-line (access to the Internet) continually, you needn't worry about WUs being submitted when done. But if the computer runs and you turn off the Internet access, then set the flag for {-ask first} as to submitting WUs.
I run my folding setup about 16 hours daily.. shutting down at night. My DSL connection is through a hub, which is switched via the room light. If a WU finishes, it will "pause" until you click on the [OK] button to send.
Don't be concerned about some WUs not being submitted, especially on weekends. If a server isn't tended to hourly, it may be full. Or off-line for maintenance. Try again a few hours later.
And point counts may take two hours to be posted, but may take more than 24 hours on a weekend day.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby whiteboy » Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 am

(Quote by whiteboy..)
Quote:
BUT DO NOT INSTALL IT IN THE PROGRAM FILES FOLDER. F@H software and vista do not like each other in there..

Strange to hear that.. wonder what else MS has done to screw up "good things"?

Karl it has something to do with the fact that vista considers the program files folder a main part of it system files and has security issues. I saw the problems it was causing in the folding forums. I'll try looking for it later and repost the exact issues it causes.
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team