New Fan Cooling Wiring

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

New Fan Cooling Wiring

Postby kolias » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 pm

I know very little about wiring but I like to do the following and I’m positive that it should work. My mobo (ASUS P5K3 Deluxe) has 4 case fans connections (each one is a KK male connector with 3-pins for GR, +12V, and Rotation). These connections support the ASUS Advanced Q-Fan feature which adjusts the fan speed according to system loading.

My Antec P182 case has 3 120mm TriCool fans: at present, each fan has a 4-pin 12V molex connector (Black and Red wires only) plus another small cable which at the end has a switch to control the fan speed(L, M, H). When I open the switch there are 3 wires inside (Black, Red and Yellow).

My idea is to leave alone the 4-pin molex connector (don’t connect it anywhere), cut off the switch and replace it with a female KK connector, and plug this connector to the mobo. Then the ASUS Q-Fan feature will take over and control the 3 fans.

Can someone who knows about wiring tell me if the above sounds reasonable or not? I don’t do this to improve the cooling of the system and I know that the present switch on each fan will do a good job. I just like to give it a try to make things simpler. Thank you
kolias
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: New Fan Cooling Wiring

Postby greytrains » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:13 pm

That will not work. What you are talking about doing will at best confuse your motherboard, but most likely it will damage it. Those connectors require fans that have sensors built into the fan that will tell the motherboard how fast the fan is going. Your system will still work with out those connectors used.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to System Modification