overclocking a laptop

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

overclocking a laptop

Postby whiteboy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:54 am

Is it possible to overclock a laptop? I know heat would be an issue, but will a good laptop cooler help? and is airflow direction important on a cooler like on a cpu fan in a desktop. does blow th air up onto the mobo cool better then sucking warm air off of it? even if overclocking cant be done what about the airflow question?
Amd Phenom 9500 Quad on a ECS a770m mobo
4 gigs ram
ATI Radeon x1950pro w/1 gig ram video card
2 250 gig samsung sata HDs
2 lite on sata dvd burners
all in a raidmax blue neon case running Vista64
total cost under $600 built march 2008
whiteboy
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Twisty » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:52 pm

I'd go for the blowing air on the laptop option, this is far easier to do and my intuition tells me this will work better. I'm thinking of knocking something up for my lappie - I'm thinking a 120mm fan running on 5V so low RPM and quiet.

OC'ing a laptop isn't a good idea in my book for both thermal considerations and the motherboards don't usually have any settings allowing you to overclock.

Also there is little to be gained from OCing a laptop as the video cards are usually not high powered enough to take advantage of a CPU overclock when playing games, likewise with the little 2.5" hard-drive etc.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ssamurai26 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:27 pm

Yeah, overclocking a laptop is probably not wise, and it would not give you noticeable increase in performance either, so really not much point. On the heat front, one of those laptop coolers is a good idea, but if you do get one, I recommend getting one that you can actually access the fans. That way you can actually turn the fans around if they blow in the wrong direction. Some laptops suck air in at the bottom, and some blow out, so it is handy to be able to change the fans around.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Overclockers Anonymous