Is 58c at full whack a good temp?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is 58c at full whack a good temp?

Postby Daft Ada » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:59 am

I'm a running a Intel (Northwood) Pentium4 3.06Ghz with Hyperthreading.

I'm running Folding@Home on both threads and so they are at 100% at all the time. The temp is a constant 58c all the time.

Is this a good temp or should I be worried? In comparison the case is 34c
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Daft Ada » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:31 am

I'll take that as a yes then :roll:
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajrox » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:40 am

i wouldn't feel comfortable t that temp. i would want it somewhere near 45 to 50c. some will say otherwise.
one of the best tricks for cooloing, add a second fan to the CPU heat sink if you have room. i had an Arctic Chill cooler that allowed me to do just that. the trick of it, allow the stock fan to "push" air and allow the second fan to "pull" air. they will keep air flowing through the CPU heat sink.
if your still running hot, then you might try re-applying the thermal heat sink compound.
and the obvious, be sure the heat sink is clean....heh heh heh
good luck
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:38 pm

My Folding rig uses a Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2Ghz) CPU.
Folding is set to use 80% to 85% of available CPU capability.

Current motherboard temperature 33C/91F *
Current CPU temperature 45C/113F *
(* as measured by motherboard sensors & software.)

Is your computer trapped in a warm room or area with poor air circulation?
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Sorry to butt in...

Postby KrusKhamsin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:00 am

Greetings All, (I'm new here)

I just stumbled over this thread and was talking along a similar line with some friends recently. Here's an extract from the email-convo...

I installed my other 7950 GT with SLI on Saturday and together they both heat the case up like a **badword**

Adding the second card raised my processor (Athlon 64 X2 4800+ on Skt939) temperature at idle in the BIOS from 29-30*C to about 41*C... I don't like that. The motherboard's temp has also raised from about 27*C to nearer 39-40*C, both were at idle.

As for the cards themselves, the original was at 37-39*C at idle and 50*C max at load. Now together, they're at 47*C idle and 53*C load (i.e. two hours of DoW: Dark Crusade).

Incidentally, this is my CPU fan: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-032-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821

I'm really not comfortable with the increased temps and that prompted me to ask my friend...

Have you thought any more about getting a new case to lower your overall temperature...? If the above worries me then don't forget your processor idles in BIOS at 49-50*C...

His case has poor air flow around it due to being under a desk against a wall and is full of ribbon cables.

Adding that card also made me hit a total of 21 fans on that machine... is that too many? ;-)

The case, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-001-NX

I'm dubious about liquid cooling... if something runs hot enough to need active cooling then it's probably very, very expensive. Why put liquid in and around it?

I heard someone a while ago saying his 8800 could cook a pizza...

Hope this helps,

KK

P.S. Apologies for length of post ;-)
KrusKhamsin
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby DAVE1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:16 am

That temp is perfectly normal. Unless you get shutdowns or something then don't even worry about it. My Intel runs incredibly hot (70s) during folding but doesn't restart or anything. I've had it running folding for about 1 1/2 years.
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MrCraigCraig » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:26 pm

His case has poor air flow around it due to being under a desk against a wall and is full of ribbon cables.

I venture to say that's the main problem.
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby KrusKhamsin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:50 am

Hehe, I'd have to agree MrCraigCraig. Although, his case has possibly the worst air flow in history, only one fan on the back for exhaust nothing bring air in except gaps in the plastic. I urged him to buy a new case when his first CPU in that box burnt out taking his motherboard with it. :banghead:

Did he, no. Same case, same model CPU and stock fan/heatsink.

I berate him frequently for not either rearranging his set-up or upgrading his case. :violent1:

Still, his problem. **walks away thinking of donuts**

;-)
KrusKhamsin
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:51 am

You could place a small 'office-type' fan under the desk to move air to the PC - it could make a bigger difference than more fans when the PC is in a cramped poorly ventilated area.
If you have a spare fan (and in winter, any fan is likely a spare), you could try it to see if it's worth spending $10 on a dedicated fan...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby KrusKhamsin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:35 am

That's actually quite a good idea; I tried a similar thing during the English Summer of '07 (so for a day or two in between the clouded weeks!)

The guy has since bought a new PC which I believe is in this case (and I'm somewhat envious...) -- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-066-TT&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=715

The issue still remains for his old box though -- I'm going to suggest when I next see him that he upgrades the case for the older machine and turn it into a folding machine or game server or some such.

I ended up putting my gaming rig by a window (fortunately, it'll always be in shade there too) so if the temps go up a bit I can just open the wondrous glass creation.

I purchased an Intel/Nvidia based nforce 680i motherboard recently to replace the AMD/Nvidia Athlon ASUS board currently in there (I still need a new PSU) and will change my CPU cooler to another Scythe Infinity... one of these babies lowered the temps of my Opteron (in a different rig; I went PC mad some months ago!) from 34*C idle to 22*C idle and about 25-27*C under load (with a 120mm 2000RPM fan).

It's the large amount of copper and all those lovely heat dispersion surfaces...

I have two Scythe Infinity's (both using Arctic Silver 5)... they are simply brilliant. Nice and quiet too.

If only the new Penryn-based Mac Pros weren't so cursedly expensive... everything's taken care of in them......

Regards,

KK
KrusKhamsin
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks