The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:08 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

I see. Well, I located the pcie bus speed setting, and changed it to 100 instead of auto but I still can't get above 295 without crashing in cod4. The only other thing I can think of trying is to adjust the voltages manually... I'm kind of close to giving up though. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:58 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Have you increased your memory voltage? You only have stock speed memory, so it isn't going to much above that without some coaxing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:27 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Ok, I am making a little progress but got a little nervous about the temperature...

I set everything to manual except for the memory strapping which is still bound to the cpu. (Should I set that manually as well, if so should I aim for the default 800 speed or go higher?)

Here's what I'm at now:

295 host frequency = 2.65 ghz
the memory is at 800/885, +.3V (It won't boot with .2 or lower.)
everything else is at normal voltage.

temps: 37 idle, 47 max load

So 2 questions arise now; the one I asked above about the memory settings (I'm going to try and turn it down if it fails to boot on auto after I crank up the cpu more,) and How how is too hot?

I've seen a lot of disagreement about temps, but I expect to want to buy a new processor in 3 years anyways, so I don't really care if it shortens it's life a little bit. Intel says the max is 72, so I should be safe under 65 I think...?

Sorry this is dragging on so much, but a new question just popped up because I got cpu-z and looked at my memory timings. Here's what it says:

CAS latency : 5.0 clocks
RAS latency: 6 clocks
RAS precharge: 6 clocks
Cycle Time: 17 clocks

so that means it's at 5-6-6-17? Is this normal/good/should I change it somehow?

Thanks again.. I'll report back after I try to push further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:52 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Had to increase the mem. voltage to .4+ in order to make the jump from 295-300, new temps: idle 40 load 49 max. What's the highest I should raise the memory voltage?

I've seen a review where they were using .6+, but .6 and .7 in the bios are highlighted in RED so I'm a little wary of doing that... In order to get to 3.0ghz, am I going to have to increase any other voltages than the memory?

Sidenote: I've only got one casefan, and there's a slot for another one. Would that help much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:17 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

More case ventilation will probably help. If you have options to increase northbridge and/or southbridge voltages, a small nudge might help. I wouldn't increase memory to the "red" areas without having memory designed to support it.

As for temps, I wouldn't accept anything over 50C load. I don't think you realize just how short the life can get at higher temperatures, especially sustained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:10 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for all the help, I'm finally at a place where I can adjust it up and down and still get it to boot.

However, I just downloaded "coretemp", and it's registering about 10 degrees hotter than the program that came with my motherboard to measure temps.

so I'm at 3 ghz with the only voltage increase being .3 to the memory.

Idle:
Easytune 5: System - 39 CPU - 33

CoreTemp gives all core temps:
Core 0 : 47
Core 1: 43
Core 2: 43
Core 3: 39

Load:
Easytune 5: system - 46 CPU - 46

Coretemp:
Core 0: 63
Core 1:55
Core 2:57
Core 3:51

So, I'm guessing Coretemp is the more accurate program, and that I need to drop my specs down until I get some better cooling, is this accurate? Also, which core do I pay attention to, the hottest one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:38 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Yes, I'd trust Coretemp before the software from the motherboard manufacturer. If you read one of Anandtech's latest articles, you'll see where 99% of software from the motherboard manufacturers (except the BIOS, in most cases) is total crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:03 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Hmm...

Set the RAM voltage to 2v or 2.1v...

See if you can unlock the FSB and RAM in the BIOS... If you can, then drop the RAM speed to 667Mhz... (now this boosts the CAS latency).. Then adjust the fsb to 1333mhz.... CPU should then run fine at 3Ghz...

Did this on my
q6600
4 x 1Gb DDR2 800 CorsairXMS2
XFX 680i SLi

Works fine... Didn't need to adjust Vcore... Temps stable at 52 deg c under load with a stock intel hsf...

And....

My 3DMark 06 score when from roundabout 9200, up to 9900....

Bug on 680i chipset with populating all RAM slots, you have to clock back anyway... But after pratting about with sticks the best results was when the RAM was clocked back... This drop the CAS latency from 5 to 4...

Ran some other benchmarks and had the same or near similar scores to people with faster RAM....

One was x264 benchmark... Another is lightsmark 2007....

Yet to some people I still know nothing...