How long should a 6 cell laptop battery last?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How long should a 6 cell laptop battery last?

Postby radicht » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a new battery, or if this is standard...

I have a HP DV6102OD laptop that has a 6 cell battery. Right now, my computer lasts about an hour on a charged battery. Is this typical?
Antec Fusion Remote Black MicroATX HTPC Case
Antec Earthwatts EA380 380W PS
ASUS M3A78-EM AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma Processor
4GB GSkill SDRAM DDR 1066
LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA
LINKSYS WMP54GS-RM 32-bit Wireless-G Adapter with SpeedBooster
2 WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM Drives
Windows Vista Home Premium
Logitech DiNovo Edge Bluetooth Keyboard
42" Vizio LCD
radicht
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ssamurai26 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:47 pm

1 hour is probably not typical, but it`s impossible to say how long it should last. Depends on how the computer is being used, what components it has, how old the battery is, etc.
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:07 pm

Depends on the type of cells in the battery, and how they were initially charged. The older Ni-Cad type cells were notorious for developing a "memory" of charge/use cycles, and would provide only about 1/3 of their duty cycle if not fully discharged before each recharge. The newer NiMh type battery doesn't have those "memory" problems, but they do require a few initial charge/discharge cycles to come up to full expectancy. The Li-Ion type are less prone to problems also, but they too require a few initial charge/discharge cycles to become fully reliable.
Almost all of the rechargeable batteries have cells rated at 1.2 volts. Common flashlight batteries and Alkaline types are rated at 2.0 volts.
It is the nature of the chemical structure that determines the voltage/current.

The battery may be older than a year, which would indicate its life expectancy is dwindling. The battery will endure only so many cycles of use.
Another reason for poor battery life is the charger/power pack itself. It will provide more voltage than the battery needs, but only slightly. That is to ensure the battery does come to its full reserve. If the cells become too warm when charging, an internal thermal fuse may open, for safety.

But regardless of how "new" the battery is, it is still possible that one cell may have gone bad. See if there is any manufacture date on the label, and if it is still under warranty.
If not, then perhaps careful separation of the case may reveal the problem. It is not overly difficult to replace one cell in a battery that is hard to find.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: How long should a 6 cell laptop battery last?

Postby Copper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:00 pm

radicht wrote:Hi, I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a new battery, or if this is standard...

I have a HP DV6102OD laptop that has a 6 cell battery. Right now, my computer lasts about an hour on a charged battery. Is this typical?

an 1hour to 1 1/2 hours is typical for this laptop. the 6 cell Lithium-Ion battery is the standard battery supplied with this laptop
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:07 pm

If Copper is correct, then that particular laptop model isn't meant for portability or long use without AC power! Sort of defeats the laptop purpose.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kevinloh » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:05 pm

I fully agree with Karlsweldt regarding the chemistry of batteries correlates to the performance of the batteries. We have come a long way from various battery technologies from Lead Acid to Li-Ion Polymer, with the latter having superb volumetric energy density. Perhaps Nuclear batteries would be common in the future.

It is becoming increasingly common to see some people actually physically remove the Li-Ion battery from their laptops once the battery charged green LED lights up.

It is said to prevent premature failure of the Li-Ion battery due to prolonged charging (some less than a year for a newly bought battery) or a defect in the laptop's battery charging mechanism to stop charging after the battery has been fully charged.

Anyone who actively and also those who do not practice this method? Kindly share your experience on this. Perhaps this could be a way to extend the life of Li-Ion as much as possible. Typical lifetime for Li-Ion battery is about 3 years.
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3
Intel 3930K 3.20Ghz O/C to 4.0GHz
PHANTEKS PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
16GB CORSAIR DDR3-2133 LP
SAMSUNG 830 256GB SSD SATA3
12TB HDD Drives
EVGA Nvidia 2GB GTX680 Superclocked Signature 2
CORSAIR AX1200W PSU
Sharkoon T28 Green Edition Case
DELL 22 Widescreen LCD Monitor E228WFP
kevinloh
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Copper » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 am

Karlsweldt wrote:If Copper is correct, then that particular laptop model isn't meant for portability or long use without AC power! Sort of defeats the laptop purpose.

i checked with HP. as i use HP laptops

the most Ive seen from a laptop battery is 2hrs 15 Min's. it is recommend that a laptop is used on an ac power adapter. or you carry spare batteries with you. you should should also set a power scheme in the setting to prolong the life of the battery. most laptops have power usage of around 90watts . so don't expect to much from the batteries when in use. laptops when invented to be a portable means of computing not a continues means. in other words do what you got to do in the shorts possible time.

there are high capacity battery available , but the manufactures will aways fit the cheapest option
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:00 am

Aye, depends on what you are doing etc... The usual life I have had out of a battery playing DOOM3 on my laptop was 30 minutes... Other than that it was no more than an hour and a half... These days laptops are designed in mind of being close to an AC power supply... Also they use a lot more powerr hungry components, ie faster CPU's and bigger hard drives, not forgetting bigger LCD screens....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Plekto » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:29 pm

The battery life that they rate it at is usually with no backlighting, maximum power saving options, and so on. With backlighting, normal settings, and your various usb devices and such plugged in, yeah.. 2 hours is about normal. A lot of people toss the DVD drive on trips and put in a second battery.
Plekto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby TriAngle » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:58 am

I just bought a new battery for my Vaio laptop. My original was a Sony Li-Ion PCGA-BP1N 1700mAh which sucked at about 30 minutes before draining on a full charge. They wanted around $150 for a new one just like it. I got a Dekcell Li-Ion PCGA-BP71 4400mAh which lasts about 3.5 hours for $48 including Shipping from Amazon via Battery_Direct.
Should have bought this baby years ago.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to General