Harddrive too cool?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Harddrive too cool?

Postby Lowryman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:15 am

Can a harddrive get too cool?

I have a Barracuda of 120 Gb, in a case by Asus, model "QF50C". The HD is installed in a 5" drive bay, with a heatpipe HD cooler from Zalman (which, by the way, is a waste of money when it comes to cooling a HD).

According to "HDD Health" and "Speedfan", the harddrive reaches a temperature of 39/40° C (about 102° F) under idle conditions (like when reading the Motherboards.org forum).

The other day, just as an experiment, I removed the 2 front panels, which one needs to remove to install a CD/DVD-rom player or burner, directly in front of the HD. So, with the front of the case open like this, the HD reaches a mere 29° C... (about 84° F).

Since this is, IMO, an impressive temperature difference, I was, however, wondering if it is OK for my harddrive to get only 29° C (84° F) warm. Since I have yet to find a thread on any messageboard about harddrives getting too cool, I am posing this question of mine here.

Would it be a good idea to mod the front of my PC case in such a way that my HD would stay this cool? Or is there a "recommended" low temperature for HDD's, and should I keep the case closed and let my HD reach 39°/40° C (102° F)? There is no room at all for a fan at the front.
What do you think?
Lowryman
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Wolfy1220 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:05 pm

that temperature is great for it. The only thing I would never recommend is being colder than the rooms temperature.
When it comes to electronics in general, cooler is always better.
Once you go below room temperature you start to get moisture build up on the components.
Wolfy1220
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby MrCraigCraig » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Since you removed one or two panels for a 5.25" bay, I think you could benefit from using something like the Hard Drive Cooler I've linked below.

It provides an opening for cool air to be sucked into the case. You don't even need to plug it in and power it up for it to be effective.

CompUSA Hard Drive Cooler

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&No=20&N=200369&Ns=display%5Fprice%7C0&product_code=288618
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ajrox » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:04 pm

the first review from the listed link says this......

I KEEP MY MACHINE IN THE BEDROOM. I LET IT RUN ALL NIGHT WHEN IN DOING SOMETHINGS. IT REALLY LOUD, BUT IF YOU CAN SEE PAST THE NOISE ITS WORTH IT.

heh heh heh .....
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree