Flat Panel Gaming

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Flat Panel Gaming

Postby jlance1480 » Sun May 12, 2002 11:03 am

I'm constructing a comp, and I was wondering if there are any flat panel monitors out there that are usable with games, as I heard that flat panels can't support the fps of many games.
jlance1480
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Sun May 12, 2002 11:05 am

That's a damn good question! Let me investigate, and I'll get back to you. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jeffa469 » Sun May 12, 2002 1:00 pm

It's more likely that the Video Card won't be able to drive the LCD at its native resolution, due to a lack of memory and speed. Most Video Cards with 64MB and over should be able to handle a Flat Panel at decent frame rates. Also some LCD have inherent problems with Fast Motion, mainly the cheapest ones. Get a good Video Card and a Good Flat Panel and you can Game Away. I still lean toward toward the Flat Trinitrons myself if you can afford the Desktop space.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Cheaper..

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun May 12, 2002 2:18 pm

Viewsonic has always been a good brand in Monitors and LCDs. But Optiquest (thier sister company) uses roughly the same technology. Sometimes they even release stuff for testing under Optiquest that later becomes part of the Viewsonic line aswell (with a few differences).

Same thing with Logitech and Dexxa.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Sun May 12, 2002 4:27 pm

Ah, see I was thinking he wasn't talking about LCD moniotrs, but the big very flat panel ones. Yes, ghosting (fast motion error) is a problem with a lot of the LCDs and you need to make sure that they run fast and are bright enough to handle the games without having shadows all over the place. Solarism.com has a great rep for very bright, very fast LCD's that do not have the ghost problem. Check 'em out and tell me what you think. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General