php for novice

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

php for novice

Postby j3ffry » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi guys! Good day to all :)

I once asked you guys what prog language to start for first timers and I started leaning towards C++ which I started focusing on. But you know the feeling of it's not meant for you? :oops:

So now I'm asking once again for your support. Most likely i'd like to give a try in studying php.

Can you guys give me some materials or background where to start?

Thanks in advance!
j3ffry
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Toby B. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:52 pm

if C++ "isnt for you" then you might not want to go for php. IIRC the two are pretty much similar.... Im still struggling with php, and I have been working with it for a while now...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby olly » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:59 am

Get Visual Studio .NET and get into C# or VB.NET
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby j3ffry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:24 pm

Toby B. wrote:if C++ "isnt for you" then you might not want to go for php. IIRC the two are pretty much similar.... Im still struggling with php, and I have been working with it for a while now...

yeah it's kinda hard esp. the configuration of mysql, apache and php. I have the resources windows xp, win2k or linux(ubuntu) for me to study it but its really hard to understand the configuration. Thats where i am right now...
j3ffry
Initiate
Initiate

Postby j3ffry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm

olly wrote:Get Visual Studio .NET and get into C# or VB.NET

oh thats next if ever i get bored with php. That will be my next subject.
:(
j3ffry
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Janus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:40 pm

They have a series of decent starter PHP tutorials here:
http://www.tizag.com/
Janus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby rollitup » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:50 pm

I actually found PHP a little easier to learn than C/C++. I started with Java. It wasn't really that hard to grasp and it did help me learn other languages easier.

To me, PHP is just more fun than Java or C/C++ :P

IMHO the key is to keep it fun so you stay interested. If you look at it like work/schoolwork you'll most likely end up not sticking with it. Start by looking at other peoples freely distributed code and tweaking it here and there to see what yo can do. This is especially true with PHP as there are hundreds of free scripts to download and play with.

Good luck and happy coding!
rollitup
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:16 pm

I personally am using Java. I also asked here but I am taking Computer Programming in school right now and they are using Java, to be exact JCreator which I just happened to download now. I think I will be using java in the future just because it is what I started with. Good luck with php never tried that.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby kenpachi » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:57 pm

There are lots of sites that provide basic PHP tutorials. I suggest find some of those sites and kind of dive in, it's more fun that way :) Good luck!
kenpachi
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Programming