TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: Blackout

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:09 am

This is a cool update. CHECK IT OUT!

Jul-01-2007

How to combat the black piece of aluminum behind the back grill? I know!

I've been meaning to hold out on this idea but seeing that I needed it for blackout,... here it is. I traced out the shape of both grills on the tinted acrylic and cut out the shapes with the scroll saw.

Drilling out the holes so I can mount the grills to the acrylic.

Here the fan shroud. I have to cut out those circles so I'll trace em out and then cut. Usually I like to measure out everything perfectly but in this case,... tracing and cutting is fine.

Here's the other side.

PSU grill mounted to it's acrylic.

It's backside.

I ground down the walls of both grills seeing that there's been a change of plans. The aluminum potion itself has no depth by itself. When the grill are mounted to the acrylic it will then have the depth it had before. Keeping the walls gave it to much depth when mounted to the acrylic.

Ok. Everything is cut and sanded down pretty well.
Image Image Image

Very nice:) So dark:) I love it.

The edges of the acrylic has been polished but you cant really see it in the pics. Stupid camera.

Oh yea.
Image Image

You can barely see the black bar with the side panels off. You wont be able to see it with the panels on. That I can assure you.
Image Image

You see the fans?

Very cool.

Check this one out. Now,... the idea I mentioned before was that instead of having just a UV insert with your grill,... there would be two parts ot the grill. The acrylic portion and the aluminum portion. Each complimenting each other with color and design. These that I'm showing you now are POOR examples. I will have to make a nice prototype one day for you guyz so you can fully understand what I am talking about.

Looking through this thing. The air passes through the aluminum and acrylic. The acrylic hides what I do not want to be seen. The dark acrylic with the polished aluminum looks so damn rich! Its so cool looking.

Here's the backside.

Here's the grill ontop of the power supply. You cant see all that well the bolts that were showing before:)
Image Image

PSU grill in place. Looks cool. To bad it will be covered, LOL.

I have off tonight so I will be working the studio some of the day and all night. I am going to try and take the month of august off for vacation. I am going to seriously try and get Blackout done within that time frame. I am pretty sure I will be able too. It depends if I can get hardware or not. Some of the final steps require the rest of the hardware. More pics later on,...
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:46 pm

I didn't nearly spend as much time as I wanted in the studio last night. I was so damn tired. I got work done though,... Check it out.

Jul-02-2007

Buffing out the fan shroud plate thing. Notice I have it on a piece of wood. This keeps the buffing wheel from catching the piece of aluminum, ripping it out of my hands cutting off all my fingers,... bouncing the finger pieces all over the studio,... blood shooting out all over me, the floor, and walls.

Bling.

This piece was hard to polish. I had to polish both sides too! Geez.

Oh yea. Very nice.

Very good.

Fan thread-serts installed. I'm not using fan screws for these fans. I want to be able to remove the fans from the inside without having to remove the rear grill.

This is the side of the fans.

Very cool.

Gone:) Stealthed. Bye bye:)

CAnt see anything through the acrylic. Nice.
Image Image

This side looks cool too.
Image Image

So nice. The acrylic and aluminum go together so well.

Fans in place. I tape them in place. I need spacers for them. I have to order some.

Here's the case all closed up. Cant see the fans can you! LOL.

Bottom grill installed.

Hand in, hand out,...

Both.

Time for this little guy.

Sanded down the walls so it's flat like the others.

Traced it out on some acrylic.

Scroll sawed

Filed, sanded, polished, done. HA.

Very nice.

Whats next?

I think it's time for the PSU now. I have to do some planning and shopping for some small parts. I'll let you know!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:00 am

Mock up time,...

Jul-08-2007

Time to design the whole PSU,.... thing. Have to figure out how much space I have to work with here. 120mm fan installed. Just so I know how how much space it takes up, whatever.
Image Image

Installed the PSU.
Image Image Image

Now I'm not sure what I want. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what I want. I think I'll start here and see where it takes me. Some side panels thingies,...
Image Image Image

I'm thinking the side that attatches to the mobo tray will be installed permanently with rivets. The other side with bolts so it can be removed.
Image Image

Here's the top cover thing. This has to be by far the coolest mock-up I have made. Looks cool.

Little chipboard spacers:) I rolled them around a 6-32 bolts and then glued them.

Wham. how cool is that! I swear,... one day I'm going to make a computer made with nothing but this chipboard.
Image Image Image Image

Inside the case,... how the hell?

What the hell is this! How do this happen? I fell a bit short when measuring the width. That's weird. Oh well. Atleast it gives me a good idea of what it could possibly look like.

This is a good place to start,... I guess. The portion of the center piece towards the back of the case is where all the shower hose will pass through. I have to do some drawing. I have to make this thing look a bit unique. Not to unique though,... there is so much I want to do but I must stick with what I have done already for blackout. I'll Probably will mix and match what I've done already. Also,... I'm thinking I should have the showe hose come out of the psu cover at an angle, coming out towards the cases panel away from the mobo. That would give the mobo more room. I have to draw,....
Image Image Image

SPONGE BOB: HA HA HA HA!!!!! What you going to now, PUNK! I'm chillin! All nice and cozy,... warm, sitting on this keyboard of this here laptop which is by the way,... far as hell from you!!! You can't torure me any more,...

TO: Come on Sponge Bob. Come home,....... so I can cut your limbs off.

SPONGE BOB: No. I like it here. Always wanted to visit Europe.

TO: Rip out your insides?

SPONGE BOB: NO!!!!

TO: DUDE I SWEAR!!! This is not the END! You know,... accidents do happen around the office too you know! I'm gonna get dennis to,... accidently drop a friggin DESK ON YOU!! ARGH!!!!

SPONGE BOB: HE HE HE:)

TO: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:00 am

Poor sponge :lol: :lol:

Nice work.
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:28 am

DAVE1 wrote:Poor sponge :lol: :lol:

Nice work.

Thanks!
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:32 am

More mock up time! What to do what to do,.....

Jul-09-2007

Look,... it's a like some machine sliding locking mechanism or shaping changing maze structure something,... gawd I love S@#$ like this.
Image Image Image Image Image

So,... I'm crazy. This is what I think will be the sides of the PSU. Yup.

DEPTH! ITS ALL ABOUT DEPTH BABY!!!
Image Image

There are way to many bolts used for this mock-up. Doesnt mean I'll have this many for the actual product. It looks good though,... the whole side panel thing here.
Image Image Image

Here's the hose platform thingy,... I told you I wanted the hose come out on an angle away from the mobo. Here it is,... I mean it might look a bit different when I make the actaul thing though. This is just givin me an idea. It's looks good though! I swear one day,... chipboard pc here I come!!!
Image Image Image Image Image

The whole thing in the case. What do you think so far? I think I'm on the right track:) It's ok. Still,... there's a lot that need to be added. But it's a start!

This is what I was talkign about before about the hoses,... dont want them coming out straight like this.

I want this,...
Image Image

I really think I'm just going to use the same design of the HDD for the PSU. This is the last enclosure thing like this so I figure I would go out with a bang? LOL. Well,... I really like the look of the HDD front shield so why not!
Image Image

A drawing I did at work last night,... This is a good idea of what this thing will look like when done. Kinda.

What you think? You see the drawing in the last pic? The grooves on the side panel that matches the grooves on the center shell,... they are vertical. Should I have them horizontal instead? Having trouble trying to decide:(
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:38 pm

Ok so I did some more drawing,...

Jul-11-2007

Before I did some more drawing I want some exactl dimensions so I know what I'm dealing with here. In the pic,... I glue a piece of aluminum to a 90 degree angle thing. This aluminum represents the out most piece of aluminum. I need to figure out how close I can get it to the side panel without touching. Also I and figuring out how much room from this panel to the fan so I know whether or not the PSU panel will fit.

Now that I know it will fit,... this is what i'm going with. Wow, orignal. Looks like the HDD side. It looks cool though. I'm keeping it. Basically i'm coping the look of the HDD cage. The side panel will be 3/8" thick. Thats alot thinnner then the last one.

What you think? I like it but i was thinking that it looks a bit off from teh HDD cage because the HDD cage appears to be floating. I dont know maybe its just me. I have to do something with those HDD leg things. I have to cover those up:/
Image Image

Now,.. I want to figure out where exactly the very end of the PSU panel will end. Thickness wise. I laid some tape down along the inside of the case to mark some lines.

I made this piece using chip board. I meesured on the chip board my two lines. I poked tiny holes through the marks.

Put my mechanical pencil through the holes and ran it along the inside of the case marking my lines. Worked well.

Time to test. 90 degree angle clamped to the case at teh first line. This is is where the PSU shiled will start. Can not touch the side panel when side panel is installed or removed.

Your looking down the side panel as I install it. It doesnt touch at all! Amazing. Its so close too:)

Side panel in place. See how close it is!! The coolest thing is that its imposible to to touch it while installing the side panel or removing it.

This is how close the HDD shield is. Pretty much the same.

Time to test the second line. to see if it would clear the fans.

SUCCESS!!

Here's how I think the PSU thing will all be put together. We'll see,...

Going to do some more drawing and planning. I'll keep you updated. OH my one month vacation was approved!!! I have off the entire month of AUGUST! Going to spend that entire month working on blackout. Have to finish it or at least get as much done as possible.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 am

Not much of an update. But yeah,... I'm getting to the good stuff. I was goign to get some work done in the studio yesterday but I slept all damn day! And it's not like I was even being lazy,... I literally woke up at the end of the day! Time to go to work again! I woke up with the worst headache too:( Anyways,... I've been thinking and planning, drawing. This update is posted as the 17th but this was like 2 or 3 days ago. I spent the whole night doing one thing,........ trying to figure out how to get the information I need about,... THE BEND. I've done this before too! For the LIFE of me I couldnt think! I eventually got it but damn! It took the whole night! Whats crazy is,... i've done this before! For the HDD front shield, the pump front shields. Whats funny is that I don t remember any of the figures I came up with?!?! Like, I dont know how I did it the last time. I'm pretty sure it was something like how I am going ot do it now but I dont know. I'm going to log all this down for next time. Anyways,... I cant go into great details with this update. But the update where I get started on the PSU shield,... I will.

Jul-17-2007

In this pic I have a piece of aluminum clamped with a large peice of angle iron. You all should remember this. Well first, I am trying to determine the EXACT length of aluminum I need to make the center shield. You see, I could easily cut a piece thats way big and then make a bend roughly where I want it and then just size it up and cut off the slack. But then how will I cut out all of the detailed stuff? It wont fit through the scroll saw with that bend. Plus drawing everything out is a lot harder too. I need to do all my drawing and all my cutting etc first on a flat piece and then bend. After bending,... it should fit right in. I dont want to be off no more no less then 1/32"!

Making sure it's squared. So important. Now,... how do I explain this, would be easier if I had an illustration. I'll draw something up for you guyz next time. But for now, for 1/16" aluminum to be bent at this radius there are two key measurents you need to pull this off. 1 - 3/64" and if I remember correctly,... 1 - 9-16". 1 - 3/64" is the length from,..... F@#$ this. I'll eplain this later with a pic. LOL.

Done. This is what I did the whole damn night! Trial and error.

Check it out. MY target height was 2". All three are off by 1/32"! Thats pretty good! There are a few things involved that can throw it off like that. When I go back I will try a few methods to try and make it dead on! The one on the right was bent crooked. I think I had to crooked between the pipes. This is what happens when you dont make sure everything is straight!

Goodies!

Copper bar! For my PSU bus bar! I'm goign ot cut them in half long ways because they dont need to be that wide.

Screw insulators! So I dont send a massive jolt through out the case! Frying everything! WhaHOOOOOO!

200, 1/4" nylon spacers!

200, 1/8" nylon spacers! YAY!

200, 6-32[M3.5] thread-serts!

Large O-rings! NOT going to tell you what they are for!

So,... this is not the only thing I have been planning too. You're going to have to go to my Case Evolution log to find out,... peace.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:25 am

Thadeez in Berlin! Check out the image on his phone,...

WHA HA HA!!! You see Sponge Bob,... you can't win. LOL.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby THRASHER2 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:33 am

Sweeeeeet updates PDT_Armataz_01_01
THRASHER2
Forum Terminator

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification