AMD Cooling Help

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

AMD Cooling Help

Postby XiKeiyaZI » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:26 pm

Soooo, here lately I've been worried about my CPU temp. It's... between 120 - 135 average.. I've seen it peak at 145, when the emergency shutdown kicks in at about 156.

I'm running and AMD Athlon XP 3000+ I believe. >.> I've got a nice sized fan in it, have Air flowing in from the back above my CPU, and out of the side...

o_O I know it's not safe for it to run that hot, but I'm low on cash right now, so does anyone have any tips on how I can lower my temperature or will it be fine for now? T__T I'm so afraid.
XiKeiyaZI
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Wolfy1220 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:48 am

what is the ambient temp in the room the pc is in?
If its pretty hot turn up the ac if thats possible for you to do, the lower the room temp the lower your pc temps will be
Fans only move around air they dont really cool it.
Wolfy1220
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:16 am

Is the heatsink as toasty hot as the CPU? If not then your problem could be due to poor thermal interface due to heatsink not being seated on the CPU properly or poor/dried out paste. Taking off the heatsink, giving everything a good clean and reseating with decent paste could solve the problem.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby eatshawn » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:20 am

remove side panel, replace with a box fan :wink:
eatshawn
Initiate
Initiate

Re: AMD Cooling Help

Postby MrCraigCraig » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:48 pm

XiKeiyaZI wrote:Soooo, here lately I've been worried about my CPU temp. It's... between 120 - 135 average.. I've seen it peak at 145, when the emergency shutdown kicks in at about 156.

I'm running and AMD Athlon XP 3000+ I believe. >.> I've got a nice sized fan in it, have Air flowing in from the back above my CPU, and out of the side...

o_O I know it's not safe for it to run that hot, but I'm low on cash right now, so does anyone have any tips on how I can lower my temperature or will it be fine for now? T__T I'm so afraid.

I feel that every fan on the back-side of the case should exhaust air out of the case.

If you've got a fan (for example, a fan located just below the Power Supply) pushing air into the case, it's probably going to be grabbing the hot air which the Power Supply recently vented out of the case. This would not help to cool the system.

To solve the problem in my example, ensure all fans on the back of the case exhaust air out of the case. Ensure all fans (if any?) at the front of the case are sucking air into the case.

I've you've got a spare PCI slot, consider putting an exhaust fan in that location. Something like this would be good.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200369&Ns=display%5Fprice%7C0&product_code=50063202

If you've got an empty 5.25" drive bay, you could drill a pattern of holes in the blank cover for the bay. This creates an intake grille for cool air to be sucked into the case. Or something like this would work.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&No=20&N=200369&Ns=display%5Fprice%7C0&product_code=288618

Since you're using side cooling duct(s), I suggest experimenting with them to determine whether it is better for them to suck cool air in or to exhaust hot air out.

In my experience, it hasn't been necessary to use intake fans at the front of a case (even if they're installed, I can disconnect their power and reduce my noise levels). As long as the Power Supply and rear exhaust fan(s) are working properly, there is enough air movement to cool a system.

Sincerely,
MrCraigCraig
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:11 pm

If you can flip over the CPU fan to make it an exhaust fan (pulling heat away from the heatsink), try a duct mod.

You can also try a duct mod for an intake setup.
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks