Heating problem

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Heating problem

Postby iamwhoiamtoday » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:58 am

Today is a fairly warm day where I live, and the room with my computer in it is roasting. It will get even hotter during the summer. Does anyone know of any good ways of getting rid of the heat? My computer does put off TONS of heat. the 8800gts is fairly warm, my Core 2 isn't very hot, but it seems to me that lots of heat is coming off of my PSU. Would going to liquid cooling for my Graphics card and CPU help to cool down the room? Or should I add a lot of fans? (to the room and my computer) Would a better PSU cool things down? (I have a Rosewill 550watt that's about 1.5 years old.)
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby tonycarr » Mon May 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Even though my house is central air conditioned , I have a window A/C unit in the computer room . Input temp is the biggest factor in computer cooling . In the winter my rigs run in the 30 C's , summer 40C's , cpu temps .
Fans just blow hot air around in the room .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Twisty » Sun May 27, 2007 7:32 am

EDIT: Now I have read through this again, I went a bit off topic. If your PSU is getting very hot then this may be making it more inefficient and therefore adding fans to get more air through may make it produce a bit less heat, however basically no matter how many fans/water cooling you add to your computer, all it is doing is pulling the heat away from it quicker (hence making it cooler) but the amount of heat being dumped into your room will be exactly the same.

So basically you are looking at adding more ventilation to your room; adding blings/tinting to the window, air conditioning, geo thermal heat transfer ;), etc.

Original post below as I went to all the effort of writing it.. but it does not answer your question...

Basically the difference in temperature between your room, case and CPU remain relatively constant, so if your room temp goes up 10deg then your case and CPU temp will too.

Adding fans to the case will pull down the difference in temp between your room and case temperatures, therefore bringing down CPU temps.

Using a g/card heat sink that vents directly out of the case will bring down case temps and hence CPU temps.

Using fan/ducting to direct cooler air from room to CPU will bring down CPU temp.

Water cooling will bring down the difference between CPU temp and case temp, hence lower CPU temp. It can lower case temperatures as well if you configure it in the right way (i.e. heat from CPU exhausting straight out of case), if you have the radiator totally out of the case then you bring temps down further as it has cooler room air cooling it than case air.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Heating problem

Postby MrCraigCraig » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:01 pm

iamwhoiamtoday wrote:Today is a fairly warm day where I live, and the room with my computer in it is roasting. It will get even hotter during the summer. Does anyone know of any good ways of getting rid of the heat? My computer does put off TONS of heat. the 8800gts is fairly warm, my Core 2 isn't very hot, but it seems to me that lots of heat is coming off of my PSU. Would going to liquid cooling for my Graphics card and CPU help to cool down the room? Or should I add a lot of fans? (to the room and my computer) Would a better PSU cool things down? (I have a Rosewill 550watt that's about 1.5 years old.)

Air is used to exchange (i.e. transfer) heat.

If I understand the situation inside your computer, the only device capable of moving the air is the Power Supply. (I imagine your CPU has a cooling fan, but it's not causing cool air to be drawn into the front of the case while exhausting the warm air out the rear of the case like the Power Supply does.)

Adding a fan, especially a fan designed for a graphics card may help.

Something economical like this...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=cooling+fan&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=cooling+fan&Ntk=All&product_code=50086160&Pn=Cyclone_Blower_Case_Fan

Got a spare drive bay? How about replacing its' cover with something that will allow air to flow into the case?
Even when disconnected or turned off, a hard-drive cooling fan (see link below) is useful as an inlet for cool air.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=fan&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=fan&Ntk=All&product_code=50076655&Pn=5_25_quot;_Ultra_Quiet_Hard_Drive_Bay_PC_Case_Cooling_Fan_with_3_Ball_Bearing_Fans

Ensure the air inlets or intake ducts of your case are not blocked.

Don't allow the hot air flowing out of your case to be sucked back into it. Give it somewhere to go.

Apply the principles from "Cooling 101" http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5412 to your computer, and the room in which your computer is installed.

Cool air in the front, warm air out the back.
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Cooling Systems

Postby kuhltwo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:48 pm

I am building a custom case to go back to the old laydown flat type of the IBM desktop days. I am wondering about using a single fan on the side bringing in flitered air, ducted to the heat components, the Processor, the chipsets, and anything else that wants to get warm. And then exiting (by fan) out the opposing side. (Right to Left). My main question is the need for fans inside for the processor, and power supply. I have to filter the air due to serious dust problem in my home.
I am using a gigbyte bd, AMD Duron (2.+ Ghz) 80g HD, and a 500w powersupply. it's not for serious gaming, just my wife's photos, bills, movies, etc. PDT_Armataz_01_01
kuhltwo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Cooling Systems

Postby MrCraigCraig » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:18 pm

kuhltwo wrote:I am building a custom case to go back to the old laydown flat type of the IBM desktop days. I am wondering about using a single fan on the side bringing in flitered air, ducted to the heat components, the Processor, the chipsets, and anything else that wants to get warm. And then exiting (by fan) out the opposing side. (Right to Left). My main question is the need for fans inside for the processor, and power supply. I have to filter the air due to serious dust problem in my home.
I am using a gigbyte bd, AMD Duron (2.+ Ghz) 80g HD, and a 500w powersupply. it's not for serious gaming, just my wife's photos, bills, movies, etc. PDT_Armataz_01_01

Too bad we hadn't communicated earlier. A few years ago I threw out a horizontal case with a 486 processor, motherboard, RAM, video and sound card inside.

Here are a few modern examples from newegg ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811190087

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166041

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163043

To answer your question, yes you'll need to use some sort of cooling system to cool critical parts. If dust is a problem, then purchasing or fabricating dust filters makes sense.

There are some fanless heat-sinks available for CPU's. They're large, but may be less affected by dust.

Would the use of a water-cooling setup be feasible for you?

Sincerely,
MrCraigCraig

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby kuhltwo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:07 am

I too had a IBM 486 Desktop, I donated it and about 5 other boxes of computer stuff to a local man who was building computers for the local schools. I like some of the examples you showed me. My wife wants a wood front. So you kow what it's going to be on the front. 8)
I looked at water cooling yesterday, thanx to the links here. It may be the way to go, since room is not going to be an issue.
kuhltwo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby MrCraigCraig » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Glad to be of assistance. Wood is an elegant material to use. I imagine your build will produce a nice result. Hope you'll be able to share some photos with us when you're finished. 8)

Sincerely,
MrCraigCraig

MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks