Python

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Python

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I took a semester of Java at my high school but I am looking into a new programming language to mess with over the summer besides Java. I will be taking Java at school so I rather mess with a programming language used to model some kinds of games and such. Now I know that there is a huge list of languages but I am looking into one that seems someone more easy to learn than the others. So far I have seen a few and think I want to try python. Now I know that a game called Mount and Blade uses this language or at least I think it does and I was just wondering if this would be a good idea or if you have a better idea.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby rilorilo » Wed May 30, 2007 3:53 am

I would stick to Java, and depending on your current level of programming skills try and play with some concurrent programming or maybe some fooling around with some on screen (3d) graphics where you also can make games. My experience is, that you won't learn anything usefull from a new programming language if you don't plan on using it for a longer period of time, since most of the early experience with a new programming language is spend learning the new syntax. However if you have a friend who is good at programming in Phyton, and he has time to help you, it might prove to be a good experience for you.
rilorilo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cwl157 » Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 pm

i looked at python after doing java for about 2 years. To me the adjustment was difficult. All the spacing has to be exact and i didn't like the overall structure of it. Thats just me though if you want to try it go ahead. However, i also agree with rilorilo if you don't plan on using it then your not gonna really get anything useful from it. I would say since you've only had a semester of java theres a lot more to be learned there that would be a lot more beneficial then python.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:36 pm

cwl157 wrote:i looked at python after doing java for about 2 years. To me the adjustment was difficult. All the spacing has to be exact and i didn't like the overall structure of it. Thats just me though if you want to try it go ahead. However, i also agree with rilorilo if you don't plan on using it then your not gonna really get anything useful from it. I would say since you've only had a semester of java theres a lot more to be learned there that would be a lot more beneficial then python.

Yeah I guess I should stick with one for e longer time rather then switch around. I will mess around with some Java over the summer then. I use JCreator to create my applets now so is it different with using something other than JCreator?
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby cwl157 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:56 pm

i personally have never used JCreator. There are others I know netbeans is one that i have used some but don't know that much about. If your interested in trying a few other ones thats one. JGrasp is another and i guess i should plug it even though i don't like it that much because one of my professors last year was one of the creators of it. Those are the ones i know of if you want something different try those. Or if you haven't yet, i suggest trying to program in a simple text editor like notepad and then compiling from the command prompt. It's a good thing to know how to do.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Falklian » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:29 am

If you're looking into another language, I'd suggest C#. It's very similar to Java and there are tons of resources online to get you started.

Microsoft has a free C# IDE to use:

Visual C# Express

If you're interested in modding games, why not learn Lua and create mods for WoW? Here's a book that should help you get started:

Hacking World of Warcraft

Before you say anything, no, it does not tell you how to hack in the sense you might be thinking. It's specifically about creating mods for the game and is written by a couple mod authors, the guy that makes Atlas (love it immensely) and the guy that makes PerfectRaid (I have not used that one). The book covers creating two mods, probably not too complex, but that should help give you an idea. Otherwise, I'd suggest going to the official WoW forums and perusing the Addons section as well as looking through http://ui.worldofwar.net/ and other mod sites and perusing their forums or tutorials. A Lua book probably wouldn't hurt either ;)

How about creating games? Along with C#, Microsoft also has XNA Game Studio Express:

XNA Game Studio Express

It is also free and uses C# as it's language. You can also use the runtime in any other .NET language, including Visual Basic, Visual C++ and more than likely any other language that can use the .NET framework (IronPython comes to mind, Boo, and hell, even COBOL =p). The disadvantage to using any other language other than C# is that you cannot use the Game Studio Express IDE, which comes with specific features to help program your games.

Also, you can join the Creator's Club for $100 a year and play games you create on your Xbox 360, as well as share it with other Creator's Club members and also play their games on the 360. Developing and sharing Windows games is free.

On a side note, I used JCreator a *very* long time ago, talking about 6 years ago. My school used it in my Java classes. I remember enjoying it, but I would have no doubt it has changed drastically from what I remember ;) The only other IDE I've used is NetBeans and hated that one =p
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:50 am

Falklian wrote:If you're looking into another language, I'd suggest C#. It's very similar to Java and there are tons of resources online to get you started.

Microsoft has a free C# IDE to use:

Visual C# Express

If you're interested in modding games, why not learn Lua and create mods for WoW? Here's a book that should help you get started:

Hacking World of Warcraft

Before you say anything, no, it does not tell you how to hack in the sense you might be thinking. It's specifically about creating mods for the game and is written by a couple mod authors, the guy that makes Atlas (love it immensely) and the guy that makes PerfectRaid (I have not used that one). The book covers creating two mods, probably not too complex, but that should help give you an idea. Otherwise, I'd suggest going to the official WoW forums and perusing the Addons section as well as looking through http://ui.worldofwar.net/ and other mod sites and perusing their forums or tutorials. A Lua book probably wouldn't hurt either ;)

How about creating games? Along with C#, Microsoft also has XNA Game Studio Express:

XNA Game Studio Express

It is also free and uses C# as it's language. You can also use the runtime in any other .NET language, including Visual Basic, Visual C++ and more than likely any other language that can use the .NET framework (IronPython comes to mind, Boo, and hell, even COBOL =p). The disadvantage to using any other language other than C# is that you cannot use the Game Studio Express IDE, which comes with specific features to help program your games.

Also, you can join the Creator's Club for $100 a year and play games you create on your Xbox 360, as well as share it with other Creator's Club members and also play their games on the 360. Developing and sharing Windows games is free.

On a side note, I used JCreator a *very* long time ago, talking about 6 years ago. My school used it in my Java classes. I remember enjoying it, but I would have no doubt it has changed drastically from what I remember ;) The only other IDE I've used is NetBeans and hated that one =p

Wow thanks for the information. I will have to take a look at the links you posted. I never really thought of making UI's with jcreator or C# so I will definitley look into that.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby olly » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 am

C# gets my vote too.
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Janus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:45 pm

Wow, a fan of Mount&Blade. :-)

By the way, M&B only indirectly uses Python. The actual game scripts are output by the mod system which is done in Python. Knowledge of Python is really not particularly helpful for editing mods for M&B, since they're largely just arrays and tuples of information.
Janus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Programming