TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: Blackout

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 am

Ok,... so here's what happened when I went back to the studio,...

May-15-2007

Here's teh new tower all drawn out and ready to be cut,...

I drilled out ALL the holes needed this time. Notice the pump holes. This is how it should of been done.

Cut out and filed,... almost ready for bending. I need to mill the bends first. I need to practice first,... need to do it again just to be sure.

The drill bit im going to use. It alot shorter then the last I one I used. This is to prevent the bit to bending while cutting.

A nice clean groove about half way deep. The long groove I'm talking about. Not the ugly one. Thats was a poor attempt using another bit.

Perfect. It worked again. Lets do it!
Image Image Image

All the grooves cut out. If you look close you can see where the bit when running around cuttin up my friggin tower! This is because I have been feeding the aluminum into the bit in the wrong direction:( I feel so retarded. I bet if I fed it the right way it would of been so much better. What I have is good but damn! I wanted PERFECT! Anyways. This will all be hidden on the inside of the tower so it wont be seen.

About half way deep. I'm only bending 1/32" now.

DAMN! Thats was so EASY!!! OMG thats worked so well. I bend the large sides by hand using a piece of wood! It was still hard but im diesel so yea;) LOL. The reason I did it by hand is because by bending it all together like that at once,... it will be the mot even possible as oppose to bend a small section at a time. You see the difference though! holy S@#$,... it's like night and day.

I know you can seed the difference in this pic. You see how the onle on the left looks more squared? Thats the good one. So crisp.

Big difference.

Old.

New.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue May 15, 2007 1:03 am

Sloppy.

Perfect.

Folding the rest now.

So cool.

This tower is really going to stiffen up the case.

Boxed,...

What a fit! I almost couldnt get it in. I had to like sand a tiny bit off each end to get it to fit nicely. It's very snug. I think it's a bit too snug but hot damn its close though!

Just wow.

Going to look hot!

The pump tower.
Image Image

When I go back today I will start on the mounting brackets for the pumps and I will make the UV insert. I'm goign to wait to polish this stuff out. It takes so much time. I want to get a load of parts done first then I spend a day or so polishing everything out.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon May 21, 2007 2:09 am

Update. A Cool one too.

May-21-2007

Two long 3/8" wide strips of aluminum. This is way more then what I need. I dont know why I made two. Oh well,...

S@#$! I used the hard or should I say CRAPPY alloy aluminum I had laying around because it'sa bit thicker then the softer aluminum. Well,... even with heat I couldnt get this S@#$ to bend. Cant even get to to bend a 90!!! Whatever,...

Here is what I'm shooting for,... This is the softer and thinner aluminum I usually use. To make that fold you see I used heat to better accomplish that.

All eight done.

WHAM! All done! And DAMN!!! They work great!!!
Image Image

Look how nice and neat they look. This is a big difference from the last method I was using to hold the pumps in place. This is pro,...

Inside,...

Holding pumps,... damn thats just cool.
Image Image

Inside,...

Pump shields,...
Image Image

Thats so hot!!! OH MY GOD!!!
Image Image

Here's a movie of my snapping one of the pumps in place. There's such a nice snap to it. It just says,"SNUG", when you hear it. I love it. It's not really snug yet though,... I left room for a foam ring like I used the last time. Once I have the ring in there,... it'll be tight as hell.

Quicktime:
Video 1
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 26, 2007 2:56 am

Update. This one is kind of cool.

May-25-2007

First for those asking about using the crill press as a millnig machine to cut grooves to make it easier to band shapes out of the aluminum,... heres some pics of the bit I used to cut the groove. The pic quality sucks because the camera is crappy. I'll let the pics explain themselves,..
Image Image Image Image Image

Ok,... SO! Insert time. It was pretty easy. I basically cut a piece of uv green acrylic to the exact size I need and then place one end inside the tower. I then started heating it until it got soft. I then press it inside the the tower using the piece of wood. I clamped that piece of wood to the acrylic right over the large grooves to keep it from moving. I then heat the acrylic,... I heat only the area where I want it to bend,... once it was nice and soft I use another piece of wood and press it in the rest of the way and then clamped it to the side right over the small grooves. That was it! It was even there snug seeing that I had it under pressure when hot. You know,... it expanded a bit. Plus the tower is ABSOLUTELY perfect because one end is ever so slightly wider then the other. So sliding this insert out did prove to be a slight pain. But I got it. I sanded it down enough that it slides in and out easily.
Image Image Image

Looks nice:)

Now,... this is the top of the tower. Notice that the tabs are missing. The main reason why I removed them was that I wanted to try and limit how many bolts there are showing on the top of the case. And as a an added bonus,... I cant slide the insert out. ALSO,... the tower was a bit more snug inside the case then I was comforable with. The floor of the case was being pushed down a bit to much. I think by a 1/16". I dont know how this happened. The tower was tal by exactly 1/16". Oh well.

Ok,... back panel time! This is the back panel for the tower that will go in the back obviously. This is so i can get to wires and such back there.
Image Image

I rounded the edges nicely so they arent like,... squared.

Cool ehh?
Image Image Image

Now I need something that is going to hold the insert nice and snug so that it doesnt vibrate and pull from the tower, even though it really doesnt pull from the tower but hey,... I'm need of another little gadget something. This is it! A,..... CLIP THINGY!

How cool is that! It will get rivited to the tower and the case. You just slide the insert between the tower and the clip. Done.

Like so,...

Here I installed the bolts that hold the back panel on,... I really wish I had a TIG welder. I want to make invisible fastners for a bolt free look. Oh well. This is fine for now. I'm using thread-serts for this.
Image Image Image

S@#$!

Thread-serts in the way of the insert! That space is tight too. The thread-sert is right in front the the little grooves on the side. I could just cut an 1/8" off the side of the insert but that would be cutting close for comfort. The very very end of the little grooves might go uncovered. So,....

I'm going to cut a notch or another groove. I'm using a router bit this time. Router bit are designed to cut sideways. You should only cut a little bit a time depth wise and horizontally too. I cut right to my target depth and that was harsh as hell! LOL.
Image Image

All done. Just need to be cleaned up a bit
Image Image

All done. Notice how I cut each end of the groove on an angle like that. Thats so that one day you dont accidently chip the grooves end off. Its the weakest point of the groove. The angle gives strength.

Nice little groove,...

Slides right back it. I know all the grooves are absolutely covered now and I feel that much better about it!

Lit up.

Teaser pic,....

I have off tonight and I slept last night so I'll be going to the studio early today and I'll be there all day and all night working on this. Which mean I will most likely finish this and then move onto the PSU! Unless I run into a problem or something,...
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Not really an update but whatever,... more like planning.

Jun-06-2007

First. Look at this. I pulled it off the lian-li. It's a thread-sert of some kind. It made of steel and it's only comprised of one piece. Not like standard thread-serts that start off as one piece and end up as two. Regular thread-serts expands around the hole holding it in place. Also,.. regular thread-serts have a face? on one side and the expanded body on the other side. This thing in the pic does not expand around the hole. It doesnt even pass completely through the hole! It's flush as hell on one side and on the other side is where this thing is. It overal height is like half, maybe less then half the height of a regular thread-sert. Its has areas to it,... a tiny tube like thing on top. This is what goes inside your holes. Then there is the portion with these triangular teeth that get pressed into the aluminum around your holes. This keeps it from spinning as you screw in your bolt. Then theres the portion that rest against the aluminum, the main body I guess you could call it. This is is slick as hell! It's neat and clean looking when installed and when it is installed,... it's not like this thing is going anywhere either! I had to use pliers to rip it out! I destroy the first one I tried pulling out. When I released that it was only pressed in I just pulled really hard and out it came. You guyz have to help me find these! I want them. I cant find them anywhere. I am thinking about emailing lian-li and asking them if they could tell me. I am pretty sure the holes are heated before these thigns are pressed in. So the holes expands a bit. Makes it easier to get it in. Once it's in the hole cools and shrinks around it holding it lieka champ. Not sure.
Image Image

Here's the flush side. You see the silver holes there. Thats all there is on this side of the hole. It's friggin awesome! Help me find out what they are specifically called, who makes them, and whre to get them. I want these.

Anyways,... here's my PSU hole I cut way back in the day. I am mapping out the holes to mount the psu mounting plate.

You see the silver cot just under the wheel? Wheel here what that is,... I had to drill two holes right under the mobo tray. I couldnt get the drill in there to drill those out. So what I did was,... I put some wood under the case and use a pointy center punch or nail and kept whacking the will be holes from the inside of the case punching a hole as deep as I could get it. once I got deep enough, I turned the case over so I could see the botom of the case. I fould the little dome like dents I made and used a dremel cut-off wheel and lightly ground away the dent until I could see the tiny hole I made from puching from the inside. I used this as my pilot hole to drill from the outside. Worked great.

Here's the psu plate in place.
Image Image Image

Yea yea yea yeaaaa.

Little psu plate arm thingies.

The new psu on the plate. It's an OCZ 600watt something something something. What a pain to get out. They make em so you cant get them out or atleast easily.

Pump tower in place. Sizing things up so I know what I can and cant do,...

Its amazing how tight everything is but still,... it all clears. The reall amazing part is that I planned it to be like this. Carefull planning pays off guyz. When it works,... what a feeling!

Look at that,... beautiful!

God I just love the overlapping of hardware like that. it's like a system. Designed to work just like that. So cool.

I have a pretty good idea of what im going to do here,... there are still some thing I have to figure out.
Image Image

Underside of psu plate. I going to make a large version of the fan box underside grill to put here. I think its going to look HOT.

Here's some planning for ya,... 3 major pieces that I will be starting very soon. Two grills and a fan shroud plate. A lot more to plan though
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Wow. How tiring this was,... yeA.

Jun-10-2007

Chocolate. Donuts. Milk. Mommy. A half a gallon of milk in the studio,... ha.

MMMMMMMMMMM,... check out them seams. So flawless. took me awhile to get these 3 peices cut like this. I was losing my mind. My 90 degree angle tools were like warped or something. My pieces of aluminum were off as much as a 1/16" as little as 1/32". Thats not good. I went to the store and I was looking for a good ACCURATE angle. I couldnt F@#$ing find one! I was there for a like an hour trying to figure out what to get! This dude comes over to me and asks if I need help. He said,... you've been standing there for awhile. I looked at him and totally dropped the bomb on him. I told him, "these tools suck! They are all off! None of them are a true 90 degrees! The companies who make these tools pop em out of thier molds,... paint the damn numbers on them and ship em out. They dont care that their off. The numbers on them dont even last,... they rub off with a bit of usage! If I shold find one that seems straight or atleast straight enough,... it like warps/ loses it shape. Bows,... whatever. All these tools are meant for carpentry,... the carpenters dont care that they are a bit off. I work with metal,... I see that my work is off by a 32nd of and inch! I really hate that! ARGH!" So,.... yea. The guy looked like he was about to start crying. Well,... not really. But $%^!@#,... he was looking at me as if I was nuts. Oh well,... I found two angle thingies that I settled for.

They worked:)

Here's the fan shroud plate for inside the computer. Going againt the back wall. I'm thinking about reducing the size of the 120mm hole. That one area looks kind of thin in the pic. Not sure if its just the pic though becuase it didnt bother me when I had it in front of me. We'll see.

Here's the grill for the PSU. This is going under the case. Going to kind of match the little grill I made for the fan box intake hole thing. This is going to be a lot of scroll saw time,... lordy.

All 3 pieces. The grill going on the back of the computer isnt done being drawn out etc. It's one big grill,... mathcing the underside PSU grill. All of them are going to be polished out. I think its going to look hot.

Again,... a lot of scroll saw time:(

Should have these done within the next two days:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:11 am

Getting cool!

Jun-11-2007

I did some cutting as you can see. The fan shrough is looking nice. Just have to bend that one little thing and then see how she fits,...

At first I though I F@#$ed up but i forgot that teh inside piece is way different then the outside piece. So far,... they are perfect.

Bent the tab thing.

Other side of the tab thingie,...

AND HE SCORES!!!!!! Damn,... this thing fit in there just like that. I had to file down the tab thing just a bit but that was it! Slid right in there.

Look at that fit! Like it belongs there or it came with the case,...

From the outside,...

Pulled it down so you can see how it fits in there,...

A rear shot. As you can see I have to cut some more away from what was a Lian-Li.

You see the holes I drilled out for the 120mm fan? You see how the holes line up withe the holes in the case that were meant for the fan? How cool is that! I totally measured everything with a ruler. I I took all those measurments and drew out my part, the parrt you see now. You see how perfect! AHHHH!!! LOL.

One big ass grill. Thats going to look cool all polished out.

I have off tonight. I will be in the studio for a LOOOOOOOOONG time. I want these grills cut, shaped, and mounted by the end of the day. Would like to start something else on teh PSU too but I just stick with finishing this stuff first.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Very cool!

Jun-12-2007

Started cutting out the grills,... wasn't that bad but still, it was a major pain in the arse.

Done cutting the first grill,...

Looking nice,....

So,... I was able to cut out everything you see with one little blade. I was really puching it too. I was totally tired and just wanted to get it done. If I was easier on the blade I bet I could of done a lot more.

Everything all cut out. Just needs to be filed now,... S@#$.

Smaller grill filed and now,... im cutting the grooves to bend the little tab sides thingies,...

Grooves cut,... very nice.

Bending the sides,...

I use a big piece of angle iron to do my bending now:) Works good:)

All done. With bending that is,...

Very nice,..

Old corner,...

New corner,...

This is how I round the corners to make the look as if it was continuous. I just smash the aluminum together with a tack hammer. Think of aluminum as really hard clay. It really easy to mold.

What you think? I like it.

Represent,...
Image Image

Big grill all filed down.

cutting the grooves for the big grill.

Drilled my holes after carefully figuring out where to put them,...

I cant believe I did this again,... I cut to far with the scroll saw. I keep forgetting not to cut all the way into the corner. I have to stopon the bend line. Oh well,...

Almost done! I still have some shaping to do with these things. Have to clean up their shape a bit.

Not to shabby,... when the time comes, I'm going to sand the sides down so these things are only about 1/8" high. Maybe 3/32".

Big grill in place.
Image Image Image

Little grill in place,...

Both. Picture these all polished out,... yum.
Image Image
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:32 am

Shiny shiny,....

Jun-18-2007

First,... Don't know if I ever showed this to you guyz but,... here's a cool way to wet sand using a disc on your drill press or whatever you decide to use. You obviously need a disc and also,... some painters tape.

Yes,... it's a rubbery disc sander thing,...

Tape off the disc like so,...

Apply crazy glue,... you dont need to use a lot as in having gobs of it everywhere. Just smear a little bit all over making sure you cover the entire disc especially the outer edge.

Stick it to the wet sand paper,.... like so.

Cut away the excess and whalaaa! Make sure you let it dry completely first. The disc's biggest enemy is edges. Try not the get the sand paper hung up on the edge of your work because it will tear the paper. If you work has a lot of detailed cutouts,... leave a little extra sand paper around the entire disc. This way the sand paper will ride over the detailed cutouts. No guarantees though. If your careful it will last a long time. If you not it will only last a few minutes.

First shiny piece. Its not completely done. I have to go over it again for the cleaning phase.

Check it out! Another means of polishing! Its a 4.5" angle grinder then I can use as a polisher too. Havent really tried it yet but it will work:) The grinder has a 7amp motor too so this thing isnt going to stop turning if I press really hard like the table grinder does with its mere 2.1amp motor.

Next piece polished out. Looks pretty good. Not perfect but looks pretty good. I can see the imperfections in the grill,... it's driving me nuts but there nothing I can do about it. Its hand made. Something like this hand made can only get so good,... at least within a reasonable amount of time;)
Image Image Image

Done,... thread-serts installed.

You know it's weird,... using the thread serts like this is no means good finished look compared to some nice button head hex bolts or some equiv,... but theres something about them that says "NICE!". I dont know. I just think they look pretty good like this. Dont know why.

Cut out the back of the case. You see the two things I left on each side of the power supply hole at the bottom,... ask me why I left those there.

SWEET!

I dont know about that fan shroud. It's off a bit. Not because I messed up but because I didnt really plan it out well. Does that mean I messed it up? It fits but there are little things that are killing me here. The part is pretty easy to make so I think I'll make another. Also,... you see the case through the grill? The black bar? It's so in the way. I dont know. Should I paint the back of the shroud black? Thats what I think I'm going to do. I cant leave that black bar like that.

B@#$%^&.

This fits nicely. Should I polished the psu mounting plate? Or just leave it? It's covered completely so its not like it's showing. But then again with all the stuff I polished,... should I do it anyways?
Image Image Image

Going to sleep, gym,... and then go back to studio. Peace. OH! My birthday is coming up! July 12th. I think the weekend of the 20th,... my brother and I are going to be celebrating OUR birthdays in Alantic City. He;s bringing like 9 or 10 of his friends and I dont know how many people I'm bringing,... but if any of you locals wanna join in you can pm me and I'll give you my number. I'll keep you updated as to what, when, and where. We're going do some drinkin, dancin, eating,... we can talk about computers/ moddin,... lol. It's gonna be a fun time so let me know! Peace.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:09 pm

A tiny update because I have been stupid busy lately.

Jun-28-2007

IM GOING TO DIE!!!AHHHHHHH!!!! Not really. But your not going to believe what I cut myself on!

This. Can you believe it! You know what it is? It's an aluminum shaving from cutting aluminum with the router. It's about 1/16" x 1/16" if even that. It some how got lodged between the metal "thing" and the metal stud that holds the handle to the C clamp. It got right on up in there and was held perfectly perpendictular to the handle and it was in there good too! That S@#$ cut me wide open! When I went to go and feel the handle to see what it was that cut me,... that when it fell right out. Oh well.

I made a new fan shroud. Looks pretty much the same but there is are tiny differences between the two that makes the new one better. It's still not how I want it and theres nothing I can do about that seeing how the case is designed but this is fine.

Small differences.
Image Image

Better fit.

I'm actually gooing to the studio as soon as I post this and finish eating my General TSO's chicken and white rice. I'll have another update tomorrow for you guyz. Peace out homies.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification