Who knows Intel CPU's inside and out?

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Who knows Intel CPU's inside and out?

Postby AtLarge » Mon May 07, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi Everyone, newbie here. I've got an urge to tinker and a wild idea I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

I have a Toshiba 1905-s277 lappy with a 1.6 socket 478 Williamette. I also have a spare 2.7 Celeron socket 478 from a desktop machine that pooped out. Would anyone like to venture an educated guess as to the issues I'll have in swapping these out?

It has the very basic Phoenix Bios so changing any of the settings is out. Whether or not I can upgrade the BIOS to something more suitable is another question too. The MLB uses pc133 FSB and new Celeron is from a DDR pc2700 FSB. I read on the net where they did do a test to a 2.0 without any problems but I don't think it was a Celeron.

So, there you have it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA. :D
AtLarge
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ajrox » Sat May 12, 2007 4:02 pm

i dont think the CPU's are interchangeable for what you want to do. you need a mobile chip to put in a laptop. go to the manufacturers web site and get the data/spec sheet on your laptop and see what is compatable.
good luck
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby AtLarge » Fri May 18, 2007 5:59 am

ajrox wrote:i dont think the CPU's are interchangeable for what you want to do. you need a mobile chip to put in a laptop. go to the manufacturers web site and get the data/spec sheet on your laptop and see what is compatable.
good luck
AJ

Thanx for the reply. Actually, this model has the desktop style CPU so only need a twist of the screw in order to pop it out. My concern at this point is getting the clock speed right so the 2.7 would work. I'm thinking my only choice at this point is a bios change to allow those parameters to be set. :(
AtLarge
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ajrox » Sun May 20, 2007 5:04 am

well, i looked it up and your FSB on that "desktop replacement" is 400mhz. as long as the FSB is rated at 400mhz on the CPU you plan on getting, it will "probably" work. you will never know untill you try. of course the spec sheet on your model wont give the max rated CPU, go figure.....
the problems i foresee:
1} core voltage. will the laptop support the voltage of the CPU you want to install?
2) clock multiplier. will the laptop support the CPU clock multiplier and give you the rated speed of the CPU you want to install?
3} over heating. a faster CPU = more heat through resistance of the clock cycles pumping through the processor. the hotter it gets the more it will clock down the CPU so you might find that it runs slower.

you could always call the manufacturer and spin a tale about needing a CPU replacement and see what is the fastest they have to offer you. then look up the core voltage and clock multiplier and go from there....

on a lighter note, you will notice no improvement of the 300mhz difference in CPU's. firstly because it is a laptop and everything clocks down anyway. i would look into some sort of cooling solution and see what happens. i have a pentium M 2ghz in my HP laptop w/ 1gb DDR2 dual channel/ ATI mobility X700/ 100gb HD and it ran at 1.4 to 1.5ghz pulling a load. i cooled it better with a cooling pad {arctic chill something or other} and it will actually hit close to the 2ghz mark now. i did notice a difference on when gaming with it. UT2004 runs great on it as well as WoW and FAR CRY.
my 2 cents,
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree