power supply fan

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

power supply fan

Postby Wolfy1220 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:01 am

Hello,
I am kinda stuck on something about my power supply.
It has 2 fans and is the normal setup 1 intake (inside the case) and 1 out the back. The thing is when im playing games my cpu, harddrive's, vid card and ram are all WELL below where they should be due to 3 vantec tornado fans(2 in and 1 out), 2 60mm ram cooler fans (stacked) and a 120mm intake in the front blowing on the harddrives.
Anyways Everything stays well below 85 degrees at FULL load but my power supply gets a bit warm (not too hot but warm). I have taken a look and they are regulated inside the supply to only run at a certain voltage but never get to full speed when it gets warmer. Would it be a good idea to re-route power from the normal 12v source and make them run full speed full time.

My main reasoning behind this of course is it gets warm when everything else stays cool and that the newer version of the same power supply is heat regulated and turns up as it starts to get warm. I think they probably did that due to the fans not properly cooling the supply.
So should I partake in the job or forget it?

Sorry if none of this makes sense :roll:

System specs:
intel pentium 4 2.4 ghz on intel board d850emv2
rosewill 450 watt psu
1 gig of rdram pc800
nvidia geforce 7800 gs oc agp 256mb
Wolfy1220
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wolfy1220 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:12 am

alrighty
Wolfy1220
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby MrMozart » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:51 pm

Is that 85 Degrees C or F? If F, I don't think you have much too worry about. The power supply as long as it isn't hot should be OK.
ASUS A8N32 Sli Deluxe
AMD Opteron 165
2 x 512 TEAM Group PC4800
ATI AIW X1800XL
2 x 74gig WD Raptors RAID 0
Pioneer 110D DVD+/-RW
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
MrMozart
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Wolfy1220 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:03 pm

MrMozart wrote:Is that 85 Degrees C or F? If F, I don't think you have much too worry about. The power supply as long as it isn't hot should be OK.

Its 85 degrees F
everything in the case but the power supply stays cool, the supply does'nt get extremely hot but it does get warmer than I would like it to.
I have temp sensors on the cpu, ram, vid card, and the hdd's. I think I might just go ahead and wire it anyways because I would hate to have to buy another power supply just because it did get too hot one day, especially with summer right around the corner.
Wolfy1220
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ajrox » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:54 pm

i allways shoot for 10 to 15 degrees farenhiet, above room temperature.
is it realistic???? i dunno. what i do know is i had a presscooker {P4 prescott} at one time that ran blazing hot @ 142F. no matter what i did...it just blazed away......thought about water cooling for it but it was just too expensive for the end result. my current rig runs around 84F, totally on air and it is overclocked. so you can see that componants will help with it as well.
as long as things stay below 110F, i would not worry about it. be aware that some componants can run in the 150F to 190F for the lifetime of the componants. video cards do this as well as some hard drives with any issues for many, many years.
but it is lots of fun to cool your rig as you get to mod the bejesus out of it.
just remember, if you get your temps 10 to 15F below room temp, you could start seeing condensation so be careful when using chilled air from an AC unit or simmilliar.

typically i have just as many intake fans as i do exhaust fans. if i run an odd number like 5 or 7, i will go for more intake typically. really depends on what the case looks like. oh, and remember this, most fans push air through a heat sink. you will get waaaaaay better results if you have one fan pushing and one fan pulling air though your CPU heatsink. it is how i dropped 12F off of my CPU temp.
worked well for my videocard as well, i just needed to use an old plasict water bottle as a shroud and it did the same as the CPU.

as for modding, cardboard, plastic water bottles, duct tape and double sided tape are your best friend IMHO.....
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks