air circulation. in the front, out the back

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

air circulation. in the front, out the back

Postby aera » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 am

i've noticed that in every guide or article i read about air cooling in a case, the article mentions sucking air in through the front and out the back. is this just a logical succession to assume sucking air into the front and out the back or is there advantages to that as opposed to in the back out the front?

i believe my about a year old 430w antec powersupply, which has two fans, blows air into the case, instead of out, and its in the back of my case. i also have a huge fan i'd like to use for exhaust, and it will not fit in the back of my case, only the front.

so...is there any difference between intaking air into the back and exhausting out the front as opposed to intaking into the front and out the back?
aera
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Roach412 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:36 pm

not particularly, but most cases are designed such that the drives are at the top of the front. this would naturally cause the air (if being moved from front to back) to get "stuck" here...rather than exit the case. typically the "front-to-back" theory revolves around the front fans being at the base of the case, and the exhaust fans being in the middle/top of the back of the case. as the air heats inside the case it rises naturally to the exhausts.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby RockyAMD » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:26 pm

I like the cases that have a top vent, sometimes with a huge fan.. Vent in or Vent out, either way im sure it does help alot
RockyAMD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks