Prescott core - expected idling temp?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Prescott core - expected idling temp?

Postby gutt3d » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:37 am

s478 Prescott core 3GHz. I bought this for my wife a couple of years ago - it was newly available, so unsure if it was "one of the early ones" if that makes any difference.

It's running on an ABit IC7-Max3; the ABit EQ software says that same as MBM5. They both tell me that the CPU is idling at around 65 degrees. I know that Prescotts run ridiculously hot - but even with that in mind, it still seems a bit worrying that it idles at around 65 degrees.

I'm running latest available BIOS for this board (BIOS revision 18 ). When I first installed it, I'm pretty sure I posted here but I can't remember the reply (it must have been encouraging, as I'd forgotten all about it until now :) ) I'm certain I was advised to reinstall HSF with new AS5 paste - which I did.

It's a stock HSF with a tiny dab of AS5 paste.

Given that these things have been around for a while now, wondering if anyone can give me their experiences with these CPUs and let me know if this is normal for the Prescott.

By comparison, I'm running a 2.8GHz Northwood core in my own system, with exactly the same motherboard (though it's on BIOS rev17). It idles around 45 degrees.

Cheers!
Dan.
gutt3d
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 am

In general, the IC7s report temperatures about 10C high. 55C idle is still a bit high, though. :?
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gutt3d » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:23 pm

I can't fathom it :( Aside from reinstalling HSF (which I may well do - again...) I don't know what it might be. I've got a hell of a lot of fans in there. When gaming, the PC sounds like a vaccuum cleaner :( :( It's in quite a heavy case, and is resting on the floor. Because of the weight of thw thing and the number of fans, you can actually hear it running from downstairs! :roll: :(

Aside from "exotic" cooling, I can't think what else I might try.

You reckon it's possible that the CPU I bought for my wife is actually a bit dodgy? Maybe it runs hotter than average, or something? (e.g. if I'd been lucky, I might have gotten a slighty cooler one - I'm thinking it's luck of the draw" or something).

It's a retail CPU, by the way - so it came with the stock HSF (and I removed the heatpad and applied AS5 instead).
gutt3d
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 pm

I suppose it's possible its running outside its thermal enveloped, but I'm not sure.

Make sure you're getting good contact, and double check the AS5's spread/ thickness.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:06 am

That is quite normal.... If the system is running fine, don't worry about it... Mine was and still is running fine on an IC7 board at around those temps and its been pretty seriously thrashed with video editing.... The other one is in an IC7max3 with a cooler master Aquagate CPU cooler on it.. Temps still won't go over 37 deg C under heavy load.... One thing I learnt in this trade....' if it ain't brken don't try and fix it'.....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby gutt3d » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:20 am

Fair enough - cheers lads.

No running problems as such, though occassionally the BIOS alarm kicks in during gaming (at which point we stop and have a cup of tea or something). The BIOS alarm for CPU is 75 degrees, while BIOS alarm for PWM is 80 degrees. Either one of these is getting up that h9gh during gaming. BUT the "comms room" is kind of small so with both of us in there, running 2 fairly powerful PCs, and occassionally with th central heating also running, it has to get fairly hot in there before the BIOS alarm goes.

Mr T - agree with what you say about if it ain't broke then don't fix it... even so, I like the sound of the 35 degrees achieved with Cooler Master Aquagate. I guess this is water cooling, then? I'll do some googling.

Cheers again,
Dan.
gutt3d
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks