Re-doing thermal paste

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re-doing thermal paste

Postby biguglyman » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:32 am

My cpu temps have been creeping up lately. I keep the case pretty clean so I don't think it's a dust problem or anything. Any way, I'm tearing it apart to install a new hd and thought while I have it open, maybe I'll re-do the thermal paste. The cpu (system specs below) was a retail unit so I used the hsf that came with it and the pad that was already installed. Is this an operation I can tackle with just alcohol and swabs, or should I go further and resurface the hsf? If yes, what's the best way? Temps started out 46-48 right after I built it. Now they're up to 56 at idle. Thanx.
"A veteran... is someone who... wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount “up to and including my life”. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." - Unknown
biguglyman
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Sabrewings » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:42 am

Use something to scrape off the old pad and some alcohol and swabs to clean it off. Then you should be good to go for the new paste.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby biguglyman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:29 am

Just got done installing a new HD and while I was "inside", I re-did the thermal paste. Scraped off residue on hsf with a "credit card", then cleaned up with acetone (nail polish remover...BE CAREFULL!!!) and alcohol. Replaced stock thermal "pad" with Arctic Silver 5. Temps dropped 12c!!!! from 56c at idle to 44c. Guess that was my problem... :!:
"A veteran... is someone who... wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount “up to and including my life”. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." - Unknown
biguglyman
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:31 am

Yeah, thermal pads to get kinda bad after some time. I'd rather just go straight to AS5, but since when do I use stock coolers anyway. :lol:
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks