Let's start the discussion with this.

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Let's start the discussion with this.

Postby Aussie » Sat May 11, 2002 7:47 am

Why was the Athlon processor chosen as the base unit for this monster?

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=133571

Because of the Athlons leading price/performance ratio that's why.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Good God man!

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Sat May 11, 2002 7:56 am

Is that Rig set up for SETI only? wow.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby TheReader » Sat May 11, 2002 9:57 am

Yeah, but Aussie, why didn't just fork over the cash and get the PIII?

;-)

P.S. I assume you're planning to bolt it down someday? It looks pretty precarious!!!
TheReader

Postby len444 » Sun May 12, 2002 8:25 am

question i have is, why was a pc chips810lmr used for the mb (cost and lan on board- connect all the mb's together through the lan???)? seems that most have an extreme low regard for pc chips? i've seen an enclosure at a computer recycling place that (i assume- might have to be modified) would probably house that thing inside. door in front, screen in rear (about 6'/1.83m tall), and what appears to be side rails inside- suppose i could modify it to work- what kind of circuit does that run on, i'd stick it on a dedicated 220v circuit (usa). notice that it's the uk, what rating are there on circuits there? man shipping would be a lot to the uk (i can weld low carbon steel, so internal mods could be accomplished). anyway, what os (probably linux), and how to get all cpu's working together (something about beowolf software) :?: :!: :?: - can you elaborate on the specifics of the system?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Aussie » Sun May 12, 2002 8:55 am

To set the record straight I have nothing to do with this machine at all, I just posted an image of it and a link to the page where I found it purely out of interest.

To answer some of the questions that have been asked I have simply referred back to the linked page. :lol:

Does it run Seti only?

As the machine was setup and is managed by Team OcUK SETI@home I presume the answer to that question is yes.

Why didn't just fork over the cash and get the PIII?

They are asking people to buy shares in this unit so I guess the Athlon won out on cost/performance. Same goes for the PcChips board.

how to get all cpu's working together (something about beowolf software)?

I can't really answer that question but I did notice this statement:-

There are enough Windows 98 licences to cover a STOMP-MONSTER with 70 layers.

can you elaborate on the specifics of the system?

Sorry, read the page and you know as much as I do.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Sun May 12, 2002 9:49 am

win98, pcchips810lmr, amdxp1700+ cpu's, and pc133 sdram- all for extraterrestrial life- suppose area 51, x-files, alien autopsy, ect... come to mind- curious about the setup they're using, and how to go about configuring it!!!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 14, 2002 1:37 am

Man, I'd love to have a setup like that for the United Devices Distributed Computing that I do! I wouldn't use the PC Chips boards, I don't care if they were giving them away! :roll: Probably go with the AK31A as a good inexpensive board. I'd rather use NICs instead of on-board lan anyways, as the on-board never has the same power that a good 3Com or Intel NIC does. I've got 3 systems running right now, and looking to put together a fourth. I mean, I've got a 4 port router, might as well use all the ports, right? 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Tue May 14, 2002 8:04 am

I'm curious Tolemac, what kind of Distributed Computer (DC projects) do you do?

I have SETI on my computer as a screensaver. I figure, when I'm not using it, it might as well be trying to do something useful.

The other DC stuff I find on the net seems pretty silly to me, such as finding the most efficient "Golomb Ruler" or finding 52-bit encryption keys via brute force(for what I wonder).
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 14, 2002 11:10 am

UD cure for Cancer research

Worhty cause! I have been doing it since late Jan. and I crunch numbers 24/7 on my 3 units. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Tue May 14, 2002 12:32 pm

any pay rec'd, or tax deduction for charitable causes- pay a hefty electric bill w/ 3 machines going 24/7, as well as wear and tear on components, cost of replacement (initial cost of equiptment, electric bills, maintenance of equiptment- at a min a tax write off, though i'd prefer pay myself- someone down the line is profiting from it, such as r&d for drugs- multibillion dollar drug co's are not charitable, they live to make money). anyway, i'd do DC as long as i get paid for it, or in some way can profit from it (extract worthwile data, that need supercomputer scale calculations that can yield some major raking action). just a fool w/ a computer, hey it's cool, DC for me, provided there is some green for me. only thing that comes to mind is using distributed computing for modeling the stock market, which could give an edge w/ all the info that is necessary to go through- each person's input can yield some desired info, as well as a data base that can be used- why just listen to the analysts, when you can use the power of a computer to model market data- put the whole market into perspective, so there is more certainty that an investment will produce (analysts say buy, means that they will be selling, when they say sell, they are probably looking to gobble up a load of shares- still the fundamentals need to be there for this to make sense). i say stock market DC is for me, so long as i can have access to the data!!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War