I Need Case cooling tips.

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I Need Case cooling tips.

Postby Fridgester » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:50 pm

I've read the cooling 101 topic. It mentions placing 1 case fan at the botton front of your case to suck cool air in and one case fan below the PSU to blow the hot air out. Heres a picture of the bottom front of my case.

Notice the small vent at the bottom. I'm worried that this will create bottleneck and my case won't be as cool as it could be. Have you got any alternatives with resorting to case moding or anything else drastic.

I allso have a side hole that fits a fan.

thanks guys
Fridgester
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Sabrewings » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:42 pm

That hole will be fine. That's what its there for.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby RockyAMD » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 am

Make sure when setting your case upright you have a board underneath the case, allow the vent to be open on the bottom hanging off a board to allow air to be sucked in.

Less air coming in and more going out. Too much ventilation causes too much heat to sit in the case as your try to blow it all out thru the back or psu.
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 3.8ghz
8800 GTS 640MB
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Gigabyte DS3R
RockyAMD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: I Need Case cooling tips.

Postby KineticNRG » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Fridgester wrote:I've read the cooling 101 topic. It mentions placing 1 case fan at the botton front of your case to suck cool air in and one case fan below the PSU to blow the hot air out. Heres a picture of the bottom front of my case.

Notice the small vent at the bottom. I'm worried that this will create bottleneck and my case won't be as cool as it could be. Have you got any alternatives with resorting to case moding or anything else drastic.

I allso have a side hole that fits a fan.

thanks guys

That hole at the bottom is there so that you can put a standard comercial air filter in there. Go to wal-mart or something - you'll find them in housewares. Just look for mini-air-filters that are designed to be placed inside the standard floor & ceiling vents that are scattered throughout households. Buy the fattest ones you can find and shove them in there. Just note that the holes for your intake fans don't line up perfectly with the bottom slot, so after you shove it in there, use a pencil or something to slide it over the vent holes.

Also, what Rocky AMD said about airflow isn't 100% true. Your intake to exhaust ratio doesn't have to be exactly 50:50 to avoid "stale" air from being in your case. You could probably go as far as 65:35 before stale air would become a problem. Plus, if your case is like mine (which it looks to be), you can a little imbalance to your advantage...
I have 4 output case fans and 2 intake. My front 2 are the intake, and I have two on the back, one on top, and one on the side for exhaust. Anyone that paid attention to high school science can tell you that if suck air out of one hone in a container, air will try to rush in through the others. This means my front two fans will be caught in a vaccumm that forces them to spin faster and displace more air. The extra suction pulls my air filter tightly against the vent holes and prevents any dust from sneaking in around the sides...
...You see - the filter only let's air through when it blows hard enough. Airflow that is too soft and two slow treats the air filter like a solid piece of a paper - it goes completely around it. Standard 80mm case fans only suck in air hard enough to use the filter 25%-35% of the time. The rest of the dust just flows right around the edges of your filter and enter your computer. Even if you go so far as to tape the filter into place, if you have another intake fan, it'll take over 80% of the intake flow.
If you need an example of this, just block the holes with your hand. At first you'll feel a strong pull as the pressure inside the case drops and tries to pull air from the outside. As you hold your hand there, you'll hear your other intake fans accelerate, followed by a weakening of the suction on your hand. What happened was the 3rd fan has picked up some of the work that was being done by the other 2. That extra airflow from the 3rd fan increased the air pressure inside the case, thus the pull of the vaccum between your fingers lessened.

But do whatever you feel is right. Maybe 50:50 is better for your setup, even if you use an air filter. Maximizing airflow effeciency is a matter of trial and error - every case is different.
KineticNRG
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Twisty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm

The size of that hole is not significantly going to restrict the airflow of an 80/90mm fan unless you sit the computer on a deep pile carpet. Adding a filter will affect air flow, but that is the price one pays for dust extraction.

You may want to experiment with the side vent. Depending on the situation of your side vent you may get lower CPU temps if you put the intake there, as they tend to feed cool air towards the CPU HSF. However but this may be at the detriment of case temps, especially if you have lots of hard drives at the bottom of the case.

Regarding intake to exhaust ratio, for me the primary concern is dust! If you have more intake than exhaust then your case will be positively pressured, which is good if you are running filters because you get little dust collecting inside your case as almost all the air going into the case will be going through the filters. Conversely a negatively pressured case will draw air and dust through every available orifice.

Bear in mind two filtered intake fans will not provide a 50:50 ratio with two identical exhaust fans because of the restriction caused by the filters.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby RockyAMD » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:15 pm

im not a science wiz. :lol:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 3.8ghz
8800 GTS 640MB
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Gigabyte DS3R
RockyAMD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby tonycarr » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:53 am

I have drilled holes in the bottom of case faces like that to increase airflow as much as possible .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks