Possible Project - DIY Projector

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Possible Project - DIY Projector

Postby Snowfire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Anyone ever do this before? I've been doing lots of research lately, and I'm thinking of saving up to try this out. The main site I've checked out (and am really interested in, is LumenLab.

So, anyone have any tips, suggestions, things to consider?
Tono Sien

Love is the greatest conspiracy, by the most loving genius.
Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:32 pm

I haven't used LumenLab's plans before myself, but I know someone that has and an electrical engineering professor that tried it out as well. They both had great results, and one of them used a high quality laptop screen displaying 1680x1050 res.

I know there are tons of different ways you can go about this, but I spent a lot of time in the LumenLab forums over the summer and it helped out a lot in getting ideas.

The only thing that has kept me away from building one is the size of the projector itself, and trying to plan out the design of the box. It would look very unsightly wherever I put it compared to a retail one that's a sixth of the size. Even if I mount it on the ceiling.

I dont really have anything to suggest. If you build it right, it will be one of the best technological additions to your house....screw a big LCD monitor or HDTV, this will put it all to shame.

This has been on my "to do" list for a while now. Maybe we could both build two projectors that are very similar? :D

I'm thinking to buy a desktop LCD to strip down.
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Snowfire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:01 pm

What are your thoughts on researching for laptops that had excellent monitors, but then finding those laptops with only the monitor working (or even using a replacement monitor)? That might be cheaper depending upon where you look and how high the price was originally for the laptop.

Yeah, size does kinda suck, but they also have the lenses for 10" and less monitors for sale also. Granted you might not be able to get 1080i res, but that could certainly work as a practice model. Just get a broken portable dvd player (maybe one of the screens for taking your PS2 on the go), and make one with that? I thought about the screen that Rob used in his case mod, but quickly removed the thought as I recalled how horrible the picture was, and how ghosting was possible...
Tono Sien

Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Snowfire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:14 pm

Oooh, been looking around, and I've decided that a HD Projector would be awesome. There is a thread started in the forums of a guy that's making one with a Samsung 940MW (which is one I considered getting for my comp before I saw it used for a DIY projector), I can't wait to see how it turns out! I'll be following it over his entire project duration, and I'll prob link his results that are in his project log when he gets finished. Then I'll have a base example of a project I could do.

I've been lurking that forum for 3 hours or so, and I REALLY wanna start working on one... I've even got possible schematics running through my head, doing calculations, imagining the distance I want it sitting away, etc. I think I'm really starting to get pumped, even though I need a few months to save money to do anything! :lol:
Tono Sien

Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:51 am

The only thing I noticed that I should point out is that in one of the movies the place is pitch black. I wonder what it would look like in day light.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Snowfire » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Well, considering the room the projector will go in will be in the basement, I should hope that won't be much of a problem. :D

Of course I'll test it out in my room upstairs! I gotta see if MY project (made with MY money and not the Old Man's!) is worth keeping upstairs...

From what I've seen, as long as I have a good material (which I'm sure someone must know of one :) ) and a good bulb, then no amount of light should matter really... We are using LCD screens anyways... Just think of that!

Oh, and the section for Rear Projection TVs is pretty sweet!
Tono Sien

Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Just think of not having to worry about paying hundreds of dollars to replace a projector bulb.
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby filecore » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:15 am

Just found this thread now, but for a while I've been looking to destroy an old laptop (for motherboard and screen, controlled via VNC) and get a secondhand OHP (apparently they go for 20-40 euros in recycling yards) and perform this project: http://inventgeek.com/Projects/HomeThea ... rview.aspx

Anyone giving it a go, let me know how you get on!
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Snowfire » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:51 pm

Yeah, that's essentially how most of the DIY projectors began, I've been debating whether to build just a 720p projector, or just go all out for just a little bit more and make a 1080p projector... Then again, I do have the opportunity for another area at work, so I'm a bit busy deciding that right now mainly... The Projector stuff may be on hold for a bit...

I encourage you guys to check it out! Bonds between suppliers and enthusiasts are starting to strengthen to the point where a few of them are starting to be a middleman in the buying process. Language barriers are starting to lessen a bit as the "grasp" of the other's language is a bit tighter than it's been. I know that the guy that supplies most of the LCDs and controllers for the Projects at LumenLab (Carpow is his username) is a great guy and the prices he has are amazing! I'm trying to decide between his 15.4" LCD and Controller kit, or his 10.6" LCD and controller Kit. I know JonJandren has been able to make a 1080p projector with that 15.4" kit, and 720p is attainable with that 10.6" kit... The 10.6" kits are fairly new to the forum, and there's quite a few PLOGs using them...

Maybe that's something that Tribal could think about in the future? Projector cases and design? I could easily take care of the internals, and if he made the cases and such (with his skill and style), it would totally kill!
Tono Sien

Snowfire
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:28 pm

This thread is a little old... but never the less, interesting...

Not really sure the practicality of making one yourself though. I remember when I used to work for staples a couple of years back, they had Benq projectors for $899CAN sometimes during the year.

Now they seem to have one for $588 CAN
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... xedcode=WW

Never heard of an Optoma projector though
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to System Modification