New sticky?

Techniques, tips, and advice for the performance PC enthusiast on overclocking.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New sticky?

Postby ethan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:06 am

Hey, I was wondering if Tolemac or perhaps another mod might consider revising or writing an updated "Overclocking 101" sticky. I'm not sure if the programs mentioned are still the best to use and it seems like there's some new considerations with the newer BIOS's. Thanks!
ethan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Oylpann » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:24 am

Though I personally think that overclocking through the BIOS (which can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer) is still probably the best way to go about doing it, I do agree that some of the overclocking stickies here are getting a little long in the tooth. :wink:
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 am

If I had more experience with the A64 X2s and the Core 2 Duo, I'd do it. On s478 and socket A, I still consider myself to be quite the OC guru. 8)
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ethan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Hey Oylpann and SW, thanks for the replies on this matter, and thanks for the consideration to do it, SW.

Every review site on the net is constantly talking about overclocking, but no one goes it to the depths of it. It's very confusing if you don't have a solid foundation with it. I've been looking around the web and have found a couple of decent guides, most notably this one, but nothing comprehensive. I was thinking that if Motherboards.org could put out a current and comprehensive OC guide as one of their How-To Articles, this would not only be a great resource, but it also could be something that really attracts people to this awesome site! :D

And by comprehensive, I'm thinking about the when, how, and why for voltages, memory timings, the memory divider, CPU temperatures, testing applications, what the results mean, plus the basics on FSB, multipliers, all that goodness etc. Maybe one of the other article writers here at motherboards.org could give some thought to this. Thanks!
ethan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TouGe » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:10 pm

And by comprehensive, I'm thinking about the when, how, and why for voltages, memory timings, the memory divider, CPU temperatures, testing applications, what the results mean, plus the basics on FSB, multipliers, all that goodness etc. Maybe one of the other article writers here at motherboards.org could give some thought to this. Thanks!

That would be nice to see. I've spent many sleepless nights trying to figure out the best overclock for my AM2 FX62/590 chipset.

Everything I've found in regards to all the different memory settings, not the timmings, is built around DDR memory w/o much reference to DDR2. Also with all the available options comming from the 590 chipset there's still so much to learn and tweak.

I wouldn't mind donating some money through paypal for an overclocking guide in PDF format if it were all-inclusive seeing that there'd be alot of time involved taking on such a task.
TouGe
Initiate
Initiate

Postby aussiejunior » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:08 pm

That would be a totally awsome idea to update the overclocking 101 sticky. I don't consider myself to know lots about overclocking but I do know enough about the amd x2's and overclocking. Just take a look at the oc in my rig lol. I think thats qualifies as knowing alil about it lol.. I'd be willing to share my knowledge on how I went about it if you guys would like.
Cheers
core i7 920@4.0ghz
asrock x58 extreme 3
6 gig ocz ddr3 1866mhz @ 1600mhz
evga gtx 460 1gb external exhaust *2
Creative x-fi xtreme gamer
custom watercooling loop for both cpu and gpus
aussiejunior
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Overclockers Anonymous