Should Zalman Adapter Sit Flat? Frusterated with high temps

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should Zalman Adapter Sit Flat? Frusterated with high temps

Postby mike norwood » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:42 am

When I was putting on the adaptor to use the Zalman 7000 on my 775 mobo, I noticed the adapter did not sit flat on all 4 of the nipples (see here: http://www.zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/ZM-CS1_eng.pdf ). The adaptor seemed flat when I put it on a table. Only one washer was used between each nipple and the mobo. I wonder if my motherboard is warped so I can't get good contact between the heatsing and top of the CPU.

I've got a system with an Intel 945GNTLR motherboard and a cheap case, I think a Raidmax or a Roswell, with one fan blowing into the CPU tunnel, two fans blowing out in the back.

For about a year I ran a non-OCd 3.0 ghz cpu (90 nm) with the stock HSF and arctic silver. Under load (folding one instance) would exceed 70C so I had the core utilization turned down to 85%, even with enough room air conditioning to make it chilly. Idle was about 50C. I reapplied the HS several times according to instructions on the arctic silver site.

I recently switched to a 3.4 ghz PD (65 nm) again non-OCd, but this time with a Zalman 7000 ALCU and the Zalman thermal paste (can't find my Arctic Silver). With folding at 80% cpu utilization (one instance) and the Zalman at max speed, it runs at about 68C and if I surf the web at the same time it shoots to about 70-75C. Idles at 49-51C. I've put this Zalman on 3 times.

This is the first computer I've installed CPUs into.

Either (a) I don't know what I'm doing and have incorrectly applied the thermal paste about 8 times
(b) my mobo is to blame
or (c) both heatsinks, or both processors, or a combination of the above is defective.

The bottom of both heatsinks look smooth. The tops of the CPUs look smooth, too.

Removing the side panel of the case does not improve idle temps.

Any thoughts?
mike norwood

Postby mike norwood » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:07 am

Almost forgot:
Temps above are using Intel's Desktop Utilities.

Speedfan reported an Idle temp difference of 2C lower than the Desktop Utilities. I couldn't compare load temps because when I opened up speedfan, Desktop Utilities stopped working until I rebooted. Speedfan load temps (80% folding) was also about 70C, I forget exactly.

On startup, BIOS claims CPU temp is 67-68C.
mike norwood

Postby Ryn » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:33 am

Try to reapply AS5 again, only a small amount about the size of a grain of rice. Reseat your HSF and make sure that it is snug fit. Your temps youldn't improve that much as of yet coz' the AS5 needs around 200hrs for it to cure. If after 1 week and you're still getting the same results, better get yourself a beeter HSF.
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Tramontane » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:40 am

if you give up on the zalman i recommend the swiftech MCX6400-V if it will fit your board i used it after i had problems with my zalman, install went much smoother. you do have to wait for the as to cure like Ryn mentioned. keep in mind you have to buy the fan separate if you go with the swiftech. i opted for the vantec tornado but it is rather loud with out the fan controller to throttle it down.
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby mike norwood » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:59 pm

I know it takes some time for the thermal paste to cure, but won't I only see a 2 to 3C drop?
mike norwood

Postby mike norwood » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:31 am

OK, I got lower temps with the Arctic Silver. Radio shack had it, they seem to be catering to the enthusiast crowd with a wall full of Typhoon coolers and LED fans. My CPU is at 64C with 2 cores folding at 75% and the room cool enough to make my nose and toes chilly. I'll try adding a 120 mm fan to the front of the case, next.
mike norwood

Postby mike norwood » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:07 am

The 120 mm case fan did nothing for temps. I could feel the air inside the case. I could really hear the fan, too, so I'm leaving it unplugged.
mike norwood

Postby Sabrewings » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 am

That is a HOT processor. That's just how they were made and that's why they never caught on too well. If you have a Conroe capable board, I'd say sell it and get a Conroe.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mike norwood » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:58 pm

The mobo is about 1 1/2 years old, so no Core 2 support. Plus, the wife lost her job a couple of weeks ago, so I won't be upgrading any time soon. :(

I'd like to try the 7700 zalman I've got, but the PSU is too close. I wonder if a different case would help. Eventually this mobo/cpu combo will end up as a caseless folder, so I'll be able to use the 7700.
mike norwood

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks