gpu temps

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

gpu temps

Postby lilpaki » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:35 am

hey i think my gpu may be overheating when playing games, i was wondering if there is a program that records gpu temps while im playing so that i can see the temp after iv exited? the reason i want something that records is because after quiting the game, i have to wait abit for the memory to free up so i can open nvidia or something and the time wasted mean that the card cools down abit.

also i have a bfg 7800gt oc, i was wondering if i should take off the cooler and replace the thermal pads with artic silver?

TIA
to build or not to build,
that is the question?
lilpaki
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby lilpaki » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:06 pm

anybody?
that is the question?
lilpaki
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tedybear » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:46 pm

Carefull with the HS unit and replacement of the pad for AS-5. BFG comes with that lifetime warrenty...but I'd expect in the small print's a disclaimer about any mod done to the card.

Are you getting artifacts and trashola on the screen during heavy gameing? That's a sure sign of overheating...

Might want to run the system with the side cover 'off' and a fan pointed at the video card for some extra air flow to see if it improves.

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby lilpaki » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:12 pm

erm no artifacting, but like there is pausing in games, lock up requiring restarts.....
that is the question?
lilpaki
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tedybear » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:26 pm

lilpaki wrote:erm no artifacting, but like there is pausing in games, lock up requiring restarts.....

Pausing in games can be caused by a whole host of problems.. Locking up..stuttering...etc...

Could be a heat issue.. Memory getting wonkey... Weak psu starting to buckle...

I'd first suggest updateing all the system drivers and ensure all service packs are up to date. Try running programs with as little as possible running in the backround as well. Could even be a nasty bit of spyware or a virus lurking around in the backround...

Suggest trying Memtest to see how the memory is holding up...Driver updates and checks.. For suspected temp issues running the side cover 'off' with a box fan pointed at the mobo's a good way to check overheating..

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Re: gpu temps

Postby whale » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:34 am

lilpaki wrote:hey i think my gpu may be overheating when playing games, i was wondering if there is a program that records gpu temps while im playing so that i can see the temp after iv exited? the reason i want something that records is because after quiting the game, i have to wait abit for the memory to free up so i can open nvidia or something and the time wasted mean that the card cools down abit.

also i have a bfg 7800gt oc, i was wondering if i should take off the cooler and replace the thermal pads with artic silver?

TIA
does this happen with all games or just 1 or 2 of them?
whale
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks