modern motherboards and video card questions

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

modern motherboards and video card questions

Postby psdoff » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:12 pm

i haven't built a system since the Pentium II days, so I need your guys advice.

Am I still able to use my video card from 1998? Its an AGP card based on the ATI RAGE chipset I believe. Does an SLI mobo accept old cards like this?

What is SLI? How does this work? Does this help with rendering for doing stuff like 3D Studio Max or Maya?

Are the integrated boards w/ video better than that ATI card I have? Should I just get an integrated board? I don't plan to doing 3D rendering right now, just in the future, long future, maybe even on my "next" build, so I just want to know if this video card is still usable with the new mobos or not and if I should buy one with or without integrated video.

Thanks!
psdoff
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: modern motherboards and video card questions

Postby Roach412 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:53 pm

psdoff wrote:Am I still able to use my video card from 1998? Its an AGP card based on the ATI RAGE chipset I believe. Does an SLI mobo accept old cards like this?

an SLI board will not accept an AGP card, as they require the newer standard PCI-E.

What is SLI? How does this work? Does this help with rendering for doing stuff like 3D Studio Max or Maya?

SLI is simply placing 2 video cards together into your machine, and they will share the load of rendering video output. essentially does twice the work...theoretically. rendering won't be improved, since it won't be using the video card for anything except for drawing what's on your screen. code/video/music rendering is based off of the CPU and RAM.

Are the integrated boards w/ video better than that ATI card I have?
Should I just get an integrated board? I don't plan to doing 3D rendering right now, just in the future, long future, maybe even on my "next" build, so I just want to know if this video card is still usable with the new mobos or not and if I should buy one with or without integrated video.

there are still motherboards out there that use AGP, and are quite nice. as for your card, some of the higher-end integrated boards actually might be better...but i couldn't say that for sure, as i don't ever use integrated video boards... :? if you're looking for getting a new board and don't plan on doing any rendering or video gaming, then you probably could easily get away with an onboard solution. once you start bringing in any taxing applications (visually) though, you're going to suffer...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset