Time Zones

Please post here with problems or errors you receive while using the forums. This is not for hardware tech support. If you are having problems logging in or registering please post here (you can post as guest - post the username you are having issues with - DO NOT POST YOUR PASSWORD)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Time Zones

Postby warbenekar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:08 am

I could be mistaken, but I believe the time zone difference are a bit off, by an hour. In my profile I have the time zone set to GMT -5, but unless I am mistaken it acts as though it is GMT -6. As my PC's clock says 10:05 AM as I write this, but the forum says 9:05.
Fold Team 33258
warbenekar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:21 am

The forum does not recognize daylight savings time....
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby warbenekar » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:32 am

well that answers that question. May I ask why?
Fold Team 33258
warbenekar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 pm

times are based on GMT which apparently does not observe daylight savings time.....
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:11 am

DST (Daylight Savings Time) is not used everywhere. That is so we can take advantage of the earlier sunrise to do work chores. Some areas do not observe the DST change in the USA and elsewhere. The GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is the official start/end of a day's course. At the Equator, there is no need to switch time function.. but at the polar extremes, there may be need.. as there is up to 3 months of 24 hour daylight during the year. Indeed, "Monday" may be a very long day, at the polar outpost!!!! (Geez.. been here two weeks, and it is still Monday!!) :wink:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:02 am

This problem has been here ever since the new forum software was implemented. I do not know why. It's not just DST isn't working, the time is always a bit off...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:34 am

If the servers are on 24/7, then there are available links to the Atomic Clock function at local time-standard labs. Many newer TVs, VCRs, watches and clocks pick up the 'free' signal to maintain time standards within a few seconds per day. The real-time clock in any computer can be off by as much as 5% per day! It is a PLL type VDO setup, and it must have an exact power source to maintain better than 1% accuracy. There is no provision with computers to monitor the AC line frequency as with clock radios or other devices.
Try this little "atom" of reference.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 pm

evasive wrote:This problem has been here ever since the new forum software was implemented. I do not know why. It's not just DST isn't working, the time is always a bit off...
That is true... Also I remember Mobocop stating the DB server and the http servers are in different locations IIRC.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:28 pm

Why they've kept this silly convention developed for the duration of WWI is beyond me...

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Forum Problems/Errors