evga geforce 6800gt is overheating.

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

evga geforce 6800gt is overheating.

Postby hed » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:01 pm

I've had this card for about a year and a half with no problems. But earlier today i loaded up WoW and my screen went crazy about 20 seconds later and my comp locked up. Rebooted and tried again and the same result. I assumed it was overheating so i shut down for 15 minutes let everything cool off and booted back up. I opened the nvidia tool and it said my GPU temp was at 70°C right when i booted.

I loaded up WoW again and the temperature very quickly made a steady climb up to 120° (my Core Slowdown threshold) and then the screen went funky again and the comp froze. Sitting here right now it's at 91° and is "stable" but i don't dare open any games.

Any ideas on things to try to remedy this? And any ideas why it all of a sudden today started overheating? Rest of the system specs are in sig.
Athlon 64 3500+
ABIT KN8
1gb ddr400 pc-3200
EVGA Geforce 7950GT
hed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby tedybear » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:12 pm

If the video card has a cooling fan? Might want to examine it to see if it's spinning while the system is 'on'. Active fan cooling on video cards IMO is kinda like active chipset fans...They never last as long as we would like.

If the card is 'passive' cooled? (fins..and no fan) Please ensure there is no dust build up on the fins. This would lead to poor heat control and allow the temps to exceed recommended specs.

If you find the fan has gone 'south' (if it has one) One neat test is to give it a small push with your finger (system OFF!!!) A normal working fan should spin freely...and when it comes to a rest/stop? It should kinda bounce back and forth a few times. It's hard to describe... But if the fan does not spin freely? Not a good sign.

In any event? Check the manufactor for warrenty information if the fan is kaput... Many times getting a universal replacement fan for a video card is a pain.

If the card does not use a fan-and after cleaning up the 'fins' it still overheats? Might want to check out and invest in a PCI slot cooling solution. My better half's video card started to overheat..and we went with a dual PCI slot fan which blows air directly onto the cooling fins. Works quite well.

Best-

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby hed » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:16 pm

thx for the reply, the card does have a fan, and it is spinning. There was a bit of dust in/on the card & fan, but nothing major. Anyways i blew it off but the card's still running super hot.
hed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:46 pm

Changed anything in the case? Something that might affect airflow?
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby tedybear » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:56 am

double post..also in tech support. Might want to lock this thread and divert over to tech support?

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby hed » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:40 pm

srry about the double post, tried deleting one but i guess it's disabled on these boards.

anyways no i haven't changed anything at all recently, everything was running fine for months and months while doing heavy gaming the whole time. This all just started happening yesterday afternoon. In fact i played all morning and then when i tried getting back on in the afternoon it was overheating.
hed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby hed » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:50 pm

well i bought one of those neat zalman gpu fans and popped that on there with some of that arctic silver paste and so far so good.

idles at around 43° and runs games at 62°

we'll see if it holds, i guess those evga fans just crap out (and aren't that great in the first place) :>
hed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:02 pm

I would have actually RMA'd the card if i was you. Excessive and unexpected heat is a VERY bad sign, one which i ignored, and which lead to my 6800GT dying...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby hed » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:10 pm

would it still be RMA'able even though it's nearly 2 years old?

i know it's probably shouldn't be anymore anyways since i opened it up, but just curious
hed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby whale » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:29 am

hed wrote:would it still be RMA'able even though it's nearly 2 years old?

i know it's probably shouldn't be anymore anyways since i opened it up, but just curious
evga has a 1+1 warranty on their cards. if you registered it then it has the 2 yrs :D , otherwise only 1 yr :x :(
whale
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks