TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 2:39 pm

Thanks dude:) Check out the blackout update:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Sat May 20, 2006 2:49 pm

As always, I'm amazed Tribal. You're a mod god lol.

Conrats with the recognition at AC Ryan. :D
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks rash:)
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sun May 21, 2006 4:55 pm

So the fountian didn't work. I'm pissed. I have to figure this out. I know whats wrong I just have to think long and hard about it. I have to understand it completely to figure this out. The are other methods for creating a fountian effect but this is the method I really really wanted. Just need time to think. I'm going to push this one off to the side for now and start another. Here's whats happening,...

May-20-2006

I explain at the end but for now,... here's the new shaft or the old one just modified. The see the grooves I cut, they are keep the system from pushing all the water up through the shaft. It's worked:) But didnt. LOL.
Image Image Image

I put the grooves just above the bubble rnig should any bubbles pass through the grooves. I still dont know if the bubble ring works! I know it does but I want to see it work:(

All back together. Thats my breath you see on the inside, not 800grit wet sand:)

Now,... this is how much water I wanted inside the reservoir at all times. The water that movoes up the shaft and down the walls hits the bubble ring keep the moving water from splashing therefore preventing the bubbles. With the new shaft I know it would of worked because the amount of falling water was greatly reduced.

Heres the reservoir in action. As you can see to get it to run at all I had to fill the reservoir up alot higher then planned. You see all the bubbles. That because the bubbles ring is submerged.

Coming out of the top of the shaft.

Bubbles, lots of them. Noisy too.

Failure.

Ok,... here is whats happening. I wanted it where you only had to have a minimal amount of water inside the reservoir so you could get more of a fountain effect. Now,... when the system isnt running the water inside the shaft is level with the actual reservoir water. When you turn it on,... the pump starts pushing water up the shaft and down the walls. Now, thereis air in the space above the water that will be filled with water soon enough. Where the water thats going to fill that empty space? In the pump. Once the pump fills that space with water where is it going to get water from to fill itself back up? In the reservoir. So as the water moves up through the shaft, the water below the ring moves down, being pulled into the pump. Buts theres not enough water there. So the pump takes in air instead which then keeps the pump from pumping. Understand? So I have to fill it up more to compensate for the space that will be filled by filling it with more water. The more the water inside the less of the fountain you'll see and the more bubbles that will form. Sucks doesnt. I'll figure this out. Like I said though, there are other ways of making a fountain,... if I cant get this way to work I'll do another.

I have to work some OT the next couple of days so there wont be any real activity going on over here. We'll see.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed May 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Ok,... so POD still doesn't work. I'll figure this out. For now I'm going to put her aside and keep moving on. I really need time to think POD through. I know there a way. I just have to figure it out.

May-24-2006

Here's the baffle or cover I ws going to make to keep the port from sucking upwards. I didnt do it because I had a gut feeling it wouldnt work. So I tried something else.
Image Image Image Image

Instead,...

Yeah,.... you like it:) The whole idea is to get the port to suck in all the water in that chamber evenly. The holes are progressive. The smallest holes by the port itsel;f and the larger ones farther away. What cant get sucked through the smaller holes gets sucked through the larger holes next to the smaller holes and it keeps on going like that. It's to even out the vacuum. i think it worked too. I dont remember right off the top of my head. It's been like two days since I tried it plus alot went on inside the reservoir. I'll explain it a minute.

Now,... the reason why I'm putting off the reservoir for a while is because I cant open it open like I was doing before. Reason #1 is because evertime I open her up and made new parts I had to sand down the outside and I dont want ot wear the sides to thin. Reason #2 is because the disc I just made get sealed to the shaft like sooooo. This was actually very cool. This is just to prove what I have been saying all along,... filing/ sanding is the finest means of cutting. Cut away the tape for the hole and made sure it was a bit smaller then the diameter of the shaft just to be sure. I used the scroll saw to cut away as much of it as possible. I then sanded thehole to size. Just big enough to squeeze the shaft into the hole. It ws a perfect fit! Snug as hell.

Roll pof sand paper I used to sand the hole open.

Here the vacuum chamber glued together.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Heres the whole thing back together again. Notice there are two chambers now,... a vacuum chamber and the reservoir chamber.

Problem but not really. I forgot that I added length to the reservoir and the shaft is alot shorter now. But this is not a problem.

Here's the whole thing down. I havr to flush it out. acrylic dust inside.

Here's a problem. The grooves are below the bubble ring now. When I ran it there was a larger bubble caught below the bubble ring. I am pretty sure its the grooves being under it that caused this.

Last shot. It's very pretty to look at and very well put together. To bad it doesnt work at the moment.

Now,... this is the wierd thing. When I first turn it on it takes in air but not as much. It can still see the pump pumping. the water is coming out of the the grooves but theres not enough pressure to get the water up the shaft. But there is some water up the shaft just buncing around. Now,... if I let it sit while running. It's weird but I guess pressure build up the pump letting go of some of the bubbles and out of no where and the water will blast out of the top of the shaft. But its real quick. Air gets back into the pump and it will do it again. It was kind of fun to watch. It was very random. lol. The main reason the pump was taking in air is because there was a large bubble below the bubble ring and because of that there was more water above the ring which caused my buble when the fountain would work. I'm blaming that on the grooves being below the ring. So I cant tell whether it does work or not. If the grooves were above th ring you think it might work? Well,... off the start it still takes in air. Hmmm. I dont know. I have to think this through. I have another reservoir planned. I have several actually but one at a time:) I haven't posted this in all the forums yet but I have found a studio that we will be opening probably early next month. I am going to put blackout off tothe side until the shop opens. Once it up and running smoothly I will double time it and get blackout finished. Thats my goal. I want to start a custom computer I have planned. I need to finish BO first. Once I have this studio running,... all you locals can feel free to stop by. You can probably even mod some of your stuff there too! Details for all this will will be at the tribaloverkill.acryan site thats being designed right now. I'll let you guyz know when it's up and running for your viewing pleasure. PEACE! Oh,... and Sponge Bob, He'll be there too:) With all his little torturable friends,... MUH HA HA HA HA H!!! SB is kind of messed up. I might have to get some more SB dolls, lol.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 27, 2006 5:11 pm

New reservoir, hAF534T. Let get started, lots of pics.

May-27-2006

Grinding a cylinder to be used for the reservoir.

A good finished surface after grinding. Here's trick I just realized,... when grinding acrylic with a sander like this, put tape on the acrylic where your grinding. The tape prevents melted build from forming. Cool eh?

Exactly 4". Damn I'm good.

Marking a line to cut the cylinder in half long ways. I'm using a tri-ruler on the table to mark a straight line. Straight, very important.

See the lines lined up nicely? I used a special ruler thing that finds the center of tubes and such. Going to cut in between the lines.

You see how I taped the ruler to the table like so? To keep the ruler from moving/ lifting while marking. Straight, very important:)

Cut right smack dab in the middle. Nice.

Used a mini hack.

AHHHHHHH!!! AHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Saw. No friggin way I could do it. I'd end up dying in that nasty poopy bathroom.

Cut comppletely in half. See how even they are,... straight lines, very important.

Cutting away a thin thin strip of tape on each side. Whatever acrylic is exposed will be ground away. This is how I will get a nice even finsh on the edges.
Image Image

Bottoms.

New tools. You guyz know what these are. I got tired of step drilling so I got these to drill once per hole. Just choose your size and drill:)

And the reason you can drill once with out stepping it up is because these are designed to scrape to cut. Perfect for acrylic:)

You see, no gouging here. A flat cutting surface.

You see the little slope thing,... thats what does most of the cutting. scrapes its way through,...

I had to alter it or MOD it though. The bit was to long. When I put it on the drill press and turned it on, so wobbly. So I cut off almost all the slack and now it hard steady. Cuts great!
Image Image

Nice. You have to becareful with starting the drill though,... the very tip doesnt really cut all that much so it tends to just cause friction which melts the acrylic to the blade. You'll have to cut the acrylic off once that happens. Use water or cutting oil too. you dont have to but it helps.

Baffles,... makes sure the bubbles reach the top instead of being sucked intothe out port. I glued them together to cut them together. What a time saver.

Everything glued in place.

Excess acrylic ground away with sander.

Everything ground together to form a flush mating surface. Yum.

So flawless.

Oh yea. Thats cool looking. LOL.

I believe it's been sanded to 400grit here.

Polished.
Image Image

It's not done. I'm going to finish it or them tomorrow:) Till then,... GAWD, I cant wait to make the next one after this. It's going to be HOT! OH, some pics of the studio we might be renting very soon,...

Just outside shots. Forgot my camera when I went inside. It basically two 12'x12' rooms, a suite. One room being an office and the other being a mini warehouse thing,... its just an open room with concrete flooring. Office has carpet. 10' high ceiling and a nice 10' bay door. I ask him if he could upgrade the power to 230 so I can TIG in there. He said he'll talk to the electrician. I was told that its easy. If I cant TIg weld,... we're going to have a problem. I'll probably rent it monthly until I find anoter place where I can weld. Anyways.
Image Image Image
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Mon May 29, 2006 5:30 pm

DONE! hAF534T is done. Check it out.

May-29-2006

If you haven't guessed by now,... this reservoir is only half of what the other reservoirs are, LOL. Stupid joke but seriously. It's only half a normal reservoir. I wanted something that you could mount flush against anything really. It's thin, narrow and very sexy;) I love it. Now the first couple of pics are the first attempt. I broke the backings you see in this pic while drilling. My lazy A@# didnt clamp it down while drilling. I held it and I wasnt using acrylic drill bits. So it gouged and lifted the backings up while I was pushing down. It broke off that corners. I swear,... I have the garage door open, all everyone heard outside was FUUUUUU@#!! LOL.

Going to look great. There are two backing here as I said before. They are taped and glued together. saves time.

Cut out and sanded to shape. this was the last pic I took before breaking the damn things.
Image Image

Here where I begun to remake them. This time I drilled before cutting it out and I clamped it down like a good little boy:) There extra material around the drilling site because I havent cut and sander it away. The extra material adds stength for the drilling even though I didnt really need it I figured why not.

WHAM! All done.

you know you like it:)
Image Image

I love the shape of it,... its very beautiful.
Image Image

Baffle. You can run this thing with the water line just above the baffle:) But of coarse your going to fill this biatch up so she's lit:)

Very nice and very flawless.
Image Image Image

I made two of these just for the hell of it. Maybe ACRyan would want it I dont know. I might just give it away:) Maybe I'll throw a little contest for it or something I dont know. Anyways,... NEXT! Going to start another tomorrow when I get home! ARGH!!! I have so many to make! I feel like I cant make them fast enough!!! The one im making tomorrow will have you at your knees:) Im going to make two of them too. till then. Oh,... I'm goign to get pics of the inside of the new shop soon. I'm hoping to have this place open and running by next month. I have to move out into my new place/ home so I want to do one at a time not both at the same time. LOL.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Wed May 31, 2006 5:02 pm

Ok,... time for another flow indicating reservoir. I call this one,...... RPL213u! LOL. Creative huh? One with the show,...

May-31-2006

Had this all in my littel head but I drew it out last night while at work. It's a reservoir witha spinning inside like the first one but this one projects the reservoirs core light at set intervals. Meaning,... as the inside spins it flashes four beams of light in two positions, 0 degrees and 45 degrees of the reservoirs center. This will create a strobe like rotating light. It will make you sick. LOL. Probably not but the cool thing is that if you look at it just right it will also look like the light is spinning the the oposite direction of the reservoir.

New bottom thrust block thingy,... I redesigned it a bit. It will slow down the insides. Different angle, much steeper.
Image Image

Here's how it's going to work. It's going to work via fiber optics:) The very outside panels will be made of the tinted acrylic I have. They will be held together with 1/8" clear acrylic. The clear acrylic is whats going to carry the light from the core and project it outside the reservoir. The core being UV blue this time, will be a tideous to make, 8 point star. That wil give you the 0 and 45 degree lighting positions. The core or star will be dusted (maybe) with the edges polished. The idea is to get as much light out through the polished edges. The dusting the surface helps to hold light in then I will do it if not then no. Once the barrel spins around the the clear fiber optic tranfer lol,... ARGH! The friggin clear things that hold the tinted things together lines up with the UV blue edges the light will flash through. That is going to be a pain to make and I have to make two of them.

Heres the tinted 1/4 panel and the friggin fiber clear thing that bring light from center to out. ha ha. The thing you see connected the the clear tranfer whatever is the tube to this thing will spin on. I dont know if I will use a whole tube, I dont know.

4" body. Easy. I forgot to make two, damn. Have to go back and make another.

Here's the bottom disc thrust thing. I'm basically going to grind away everything up to the top line. Then peel away the tape between those two line and then grind that down on the new angle. Problem,.......... none of my equipment supports this new angle so I have to improvise. Sucky.

Going to grind the clear down on the new angle. I not going to to make it sharp. I have to leave and 1/8" flat at the top to achieve the right angle. How I figured that out,.. i'm to friggin tired to explain. Try me later. LOL.

Ok,.... so yea. The piece in that last picture,... F'ed it up. That and another one. I dont khave to a way to hold it evenly and firmly without griunding my finger tips off. Plus the piece was over heating and losing it's shape. So I came up with this. A tape hinge. LOL. It worked but I have to perfect it a bit.

You just push it up ther against the wheel. The bottom of the piece is harnessed with tape so it cant move any close to the wheel. Only the top moves close to the wheel. Am I grinding and the right angle? I dont friggin know. I just glad that I'm grinding at an angle thats less then 45 degrees. LOL.

You have to be careful not to heat it up tomuch because #1, it will bow and lose it's shape #2, it gets sticky and gets pulled on really hard by the wheel leaving you with an uneven grind.

Thats a pretty even grind there. I just wish there was a more accurate way of doing this, a milling machine:(

Here's what the finish block will look like, kind of. I'm not using this one because its messed up plus I have to perfect this system here because I have to make two identical ones.
Image Image Image Image Image

Tomorrow I will get back on it. Friday I have to do some OT because Im getting behind on my bills, again so I wont be able to do any work that day. Sat I will be free to do this. Mon I will not be because I am doing another 16 hours of OT to pay my damn bills. ARGH! Anyways,... till then guyz! TRIBALOVERKILL over and OUT! I want to start using another name too,... I think I mentioned this before, C.V.R.IV. It's my intials. So I will start referring to myself as that too. Ok? C.V.R.IV out.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 am

WHO'S THE MANNNNNNNNNNNN! Whats an amazing update. I'm so excited. LOL. I did it! Check it out,...

Jun-01-2006

Here's the new design for the bottom thrust plate. I thought this up last night at work. Doesn't explain much but you'll see.

I'm going to use the drill press to tackle this task. It's the only piece of machinery that will allow me to cut at an angle less then 45 degrees so I have to use it. But How? Here I am lining up a rail with the chuck. In the chuck is a straight aluminum rod. I know it's straight because when you turn the press on it doesnt wobble when it spins. Anyways,.. I want the rail absolutely perpendicular to the chuck. I'm using a right angle to test for that.

Theres the rod in the chuck.

Now im going to use the largest hole cutting bit I have which is 1-1/4". I have to mod it for this type of work though, LOL. Here I am going to use this cutting disc I got from Bill(mnpctech.com), THANKS BILL! I'm going to pull a bobbit and cut off most of the cutting bit's shaft. I'm doing this so when Im cutting, the bit is sturdy and doesnt jump around. If it does it could snap off a kill me.

I also have to grind off the point on this thing. I dont need it.
Image Image

Now,... I though I could get away with just cutting off the tip but it stills needs more work. The bit's surface is a bit concaved. So if I was using it, it would leave rings in the acrylic. I need it flat. Let me explain real quick. I'm goignto use the press like a milling machine. With a milling machine you lock down your work and slide your work into the cutting bit using cranks and such. I cant do that with the press so I going to feed the bit to the work. It's like drilling a HUGE hole using a flat bit. Nice and flat.

I then ground a new cutting edge. See. Remember,... you want to scrape to cut acrylic. If this bit was to gouge like a regular bit,.. the acrylic would literally explode in the face. Even with the bit ground right I was still afraid of that.

Here's the first run. Now,... the way all this works is that the acrylic piece slides along the rail using it's flat back that I gave it. The rail is use so I dont have to adjust he height of the acrylic on the table. I just slide it across for each cut. Secondly,... I figure out how much travel I want the bit to go. Once I figure that out I lock that position using the press's lock thingy. So when I pull down on the arm the bit wont go past that point. At this point all I have to do is slide the acrylic over by about 1/4" at a time until I reach the end line. I have to make sure the bit doesnt catch the table too. The bit would snap right off.

Here's one side done. You see the chip,... LOL, I was figure out the bit travel the edge of the bit was resting of the acrylic. When I was pushing down it wouldnt go. I was like what the hell? So I pulled down hard,.. CRACK. I swear I almost had a baby! But the chip doesnt fall in the area in which I need so it's all good. PHEW!

Look how precise. I'm mean for what I have thats friggin good! LOL.

Look at that perfect angle. So yummy. When you pull down to cut YOU HAVE TO GO SLOW! If you sneeze and pull to hard, you work WILL explode in your face.

Ok,.. skipping to the end,... done. Well not really but for the day.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Look how beautiful that is compared to the last one. THIS is why I do not settle. Because there is almost always better. Never gie up. Try try try again.
Image Image

I drew this last night at work. I was pondering how the hell I would pull this off and this is what I came up with. The best part is that its a one piece design as oppose to what I was trying, which was two pieces. NAILED IT!

So yea,... this is all im doing today because I am really tired and I have to work 16 hours at the hospital tomorrow. I need my sleep for that. Peace out.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:07 pm

I fixed the links sorry guyz.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification