TribalOverkill's LiquiD EvolutioN

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Bracket mock-ups. YeeeAAA.

Dec-18-2005

Here's the mock-up. You understand how this is going to work? It's not exact but it should give you the idea of how it's going to be. It an auto-tensioning bracket. Remeber the pump clamps I made that clamped to the back the the pumps to keep them attached the the tower? Well,.. I was going to do that with the bolt in the back but that was to sloppy for this. To much. I needed something that would tension and hold the reservoir just by mounting it. This is what I came up with.

When its not bolted down,... it's slides over very easily.

When it's bolted down it pulls the out band towards the case pull the reservoir into that cetner thingy. The center thing will have longer arms thingies and will be padded just like the inside of the band.
Image Image Image

Reservoir mounted. Barbs facing out and away from teh case for mounting inside the case.
Image Image

Barbs facing towards the case for mounting it outside the case.
Image Image Image

The shields will mount to this these brackets. What is not shown here are the tabs that I make by folding the aluminum. There will be about 8 of them. The shields will be mounted to those. Any questions class? Class dismissed. Gawd I love the look of the thumbs!!! It's crazy cool looking!!! You know,... it would be great if you guyz used thumbs too:) It would speed up the site and makes it faster for anyone. You don't have to but it would be nice. The site owners would love it.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Shield Mockups. They are not complete or even accurate. Just an idea of what they will look like.

Dec-19-2005

A dog trampling my work:)
Image Image

Lights off,... LEDs on.
Image Image Image

Lights on,... LEDs on.
Image Image Image Image Image

Now as I said they not not exact nor accurate. The shields will be held up about a 1/4" off the reservoir so there will be planty of room for the hoses to fit over the barbs. I might add some design and I might take some away. We'll have to see what happens. Does anyone have an idea of what to call this thing?
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:22 pm

New shield mockups. I only made one side because I ain't waisting time on the mockups. Rather get started on the real deal. I LIKE EM! Yea. The new desidn is kindof like that last except I removed alot more material so you guyz can see more of the coil action. I love it. To the pics,...

Dec-22-2005

In the dark.

Lights on.
Image Image Image

I love the under grill or grooves especially with the little support bar in the middle of the grooves. It's supporting the longer grooves. Alos,... I added little boxes here and the too. Very cool.

Let me know what you think!!! I'm goign to get started on the real ones now. I plan on using my new 30" bending brake for these shields. Never used it before so cant wait to see how I do!

Also,... I got myself a web host nowto serve my pics. I went with www.site5.com. So far its cool as hell!!! I got 11GB of space and 400GB of bandwidth a month, more then I will ever need. So Im going to upload all my pics to that server. I am going to update the images links for only the reservoir logs. I am going to recreate an updated log with teh updated image links at my home at acryan. This way if any old pics should die,... you can head over to acryan to and check them out over there. I am going to get into the habit of creating a final log with nothing but my posts and those available at acryan. If the forums want this final log too they can have it by all means:) Now,... any new updates for blackout will be posted as usual within the fourms. Yea. I think thats it? Also,... acryan gave me access to my home so I can spruce it up a bit:) I am goingto post a FAQ there with the most popular questions such as,... where do you get your acrylic from? What type of glue is that? Can you make a custom something for me? LOL. Yea,... so if you ask something I will probably answer you but also point you to the FAQ. There's goign to be news and stuff there too. Not goign to waiste to much time on it seeing that my work resides with the designing of this stuff but I plan on spending some off time on it:) OH,... I named the reservoir. I mentioned this in a few of the forums already, I though tI wold say it again. I named it,... xPO352r. And I am serious. LOL. I decided to name everything like this because it's easy. I found myself thinking about names insted of thinking about whats next. So yea. Unless acryan, of coarse,... acryan disagrees:) So yeah,... you guyz can still name this stuff. Just has to be absolute randomness like the one I picked here. Bye!
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:23 pm

Ok,... an update before I start cutting the shields or the first shield. I came to a compromise with the images. I upped the larger images to 640x480 instead of 320x240. The thumbs are going to stay 100x75 though. Cool? The way I see it,... if you can read at high resolutions,... you can see the thumbs:)

Dec-23-2005

Here are the two raw pieces or aluminum I am goingto use for the shields.

Here I had to make my own compass to draw the outer radius for the shields. My other compass couldnt draw a diameter this large.

Can you guess what I just did? Yes,... I did.

Glued both pieces together to cut the main shape of the shields.

Worked great with the table sander!!! It worked better then I though it would!! LOL.

Just have to be careful because a lip forms underneath that catches the edge to the table. If you are not careful you will flat side you round edges very easily.

I had to. So damn cute. Look at that pink belly! Totally out, while I was tracing my designs onto the shields.

Now,... I'm messing with the dog. Dog didn't wake up all. So funny.

Awwww,.... Plankton, I think she likes you:) Whats that? You like her too? *COUGH*PERV*COUGH*

Awwww! YO, I am totally not setting this up. This is the dog doing her own thing, LOL.

Finished drawing the first shield.

Finished cutting out the design. I made sute I press hard enough to scratch the design into the aluminum so that if the tape should come off, which it most likely will, I won't be lost. Cool looking:) Definitely see myself using this technique later on down the road to air brush:)
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:24 pm

F@#$%$#% Tired.

Dec-24-2005

Pretty much finished the first side. I still have some more to do but the most of it is done. Just got done with the scroll saw.
Image Image

All filed down nicely.
Image Image Image

I have to run to the store and get some scroll saw blades. I was using my last one to cut this side! I was hoping it wouldnt break and to my surprise it didn't. So yea. I'm goign to bed and I will be waking up later to get started on the other side. Till then,... PEACE!
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:25 pm

Ok,... so I just got done with all the scroll sawing. That is very time consuming work. I hate it but love the results. Oh well. Check it out. Oh,... and I upped the size of the thumbs too. They are 160 now. I can't go any bigger with the thumbs. The larger pics are 640. I have to take into consideration there are going to be a S@#$ load of pics being served. I am dishing out like 5, 10+ pics almost everyday. I'll be doing this for I dont know how long. LOTS of pics. Also,... I would like to make some more videos for you guyz too. I need all the bandwidth I cant get. So yea. I'm trying:) TO THE PICS!!!!

Dec-25-2005

Here,... I taped the second shield and clamped the first to it. I used a scalpel to cut away the tape on the second shield using the first as a template. Worked great, saved tons of time.

Here I am done cutting and even filing. Practically two identical pieces. This is by far my best cutting and filing job yet. The whole cutting away evrything except the blue tape idea is a hell of alot better then just cutting inside scored lines. I can see the tape alot easier. All the cuttings/ dust would cover up the scored lines.

WHAM! How hot is that! I have to sand them down and then bend baby! After that is polishing time:)
Image Image
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:26 pm

I think alot of you have been waiting for this. Although it's still not done but VERY close,... you have been waiting for this as much as I have.

Dec-26-2005

Ok,... so I sanded down the shields using the scotchbrite discs. I love those things. So fast. I basically got out all the major scratches.

Here I am banging on my pipe:) LOL. Yea. I used to piece of black pipe I had vised and used it to bang the shields round. I know I sid I was going to use the bending brake,... something told me not to. So I didnt.

Here are the shields nice and round. They are not perfect but pretty damn close:)
Image Image

Here I just got done using teh scotchbrites again to get out all the dings. Very nice.
Image Image Image

I just got done wetsanding to the best of my abil,... I mean patience. YES,... there are certain things I do not have patience for and sanding down a piece of aluminum shaped like this is one of them.
Image Image Image

After doing a bit of 400grit wetsanding I gave up. I took that mofo right to the buffer baby:) You would be surprised how many scratches a buffer can take out with a good rubbing compound:) CHROME BABY!! CHROME!
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Now,... the brackets aren't done. So I kind of just fitted the shields over the reservoir. Alot of blue tape but you get the idea.
Image Image Image Image

I little bit of UV light,...
Image Image

Lights out,... blue tape os covering up alot of it. Oh well. you get the idea.
Image Image

Totally wicked! I don't want to sell it, LOL! MINE MINE MINE!!! Ehhh,... I wish. Oh well. So,... it will be done very soon. Kind of fell behind with all the aluminum work. Forgot how much time it takes up. If you are interested in it, don't forget,... you have to email tribal@tribaloverkill.acryan.com with the amount you are willing to pay. Also remember that the amount you bid might not be the amount you will get it for. You might not even get it. Totally random. Kind of like a contest:) Ok:) I'm going to do a bit more work then head to bed. PEACE OUT MODDERS!!
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Can't quite decide.

Dec-30-2005

Should I do something like this to the mounting hardware? I think it would somewhat compliment the shields. BUT,... I am not sure. Either this or somehtin like it or,....

This. I mean not this not kind of like what I did for the blackout reservoir,... the support band with the arm. You know the design grooves and stuff. Picture that holding this reservoir down. So which do you think? Blackout style straight band like mounts or sure I add a little something extra to break the straight band like look?

Let me know.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Ok,... this is tiny. I'm working on it now. I am posting this because I am taking a little break to think about this before I go on any further.

Jan-01-2006

Here I am making little tabs for my mockup.

Mockup complete. This is the exact position of the tabs that will hold teh shields to the bands.

Here are the bands traced and ready to cut. I decided to go with the curved idea. I am goign to add the curve using additional shields. The tabs at the very ends of what you see here will be used to bolt those on.

I dont know what Im doing for those shields yet. I have an idea but still not sure. Anyways,... happy new year guys!!! OH,... it's Blackout's 1 year aniversary!!! Exactly one year ago,... I started her.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat May 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Ok,.. this is what I have been up too.

Jan-09-2006

Here are the first mounts I made. Very beautiful. They would have worked but when I was bending the tabs for one of them,... one of them broke off. So,... I had to scrap it.
Image Image Image Image

Now,.... here the new brackets. Same thing except no tabs. Someone told me about thread-serts and rivet nuts. So for now on I will be using themn instead of bending tabs. Tabs use up to much time and material. I ordered the thread-serts and they should be here soon but,... I dont think that thread-serts are goign to be good for how I plan on using them for this. I have to do some testing. So far I think they will but I have to make sure its full proof. I'll explain in a minute. In this pic,... they are ready for wet sanding and polishing.

Polished. You see the 6 holes? Those are for the thread-serts. They, right now are only pilot holes. I will drill them wider when I get my thread-serts in.
Image Image

Here is an ACE thread-sert. I got it from ACE Hardware. It has 8-32 threads which is to big. I want 6-32. This is why I am not using them. Plus these are friggin expensive!!! 8 for like 6 bucks. I got 100 for like 20+ bucks, 30 something shipped. Anyways,... heres the bottom. The very top of the thread-sert is pulled inside the bottom porting of the sert. When it get pulled inside it expands the lower portion making it impossible to yank out. They come in one piece. When you start cranking it with teh proper size bolt,... the top snaps off from the bottom as its being pulled together. SO,... when its set,... it's actaully two pieces. One within another. I will get detailed photos when I actually use them for the mounts. My fear is that when I bolt the shields to this side,... that if I yank hard enough the inside piece will come out. But I doubt that. I want to rulle that out by testing them.

This is the top of it. Technically,... you are suppose to use this side when bolting anything down. Im using the other side because Im using the body of it as a spacer,... plus, this side is fairly flush. This side is goign to go again the reservoir. There will be some sort of foam or some material that will go over this to prevent scratching. I am going to sand this down some so its smooth. I have to be careful not to sand to much because if I sand the head off it will come out.

The set height is about 3/16" which is pretty much what I am looking for. This is goign to work out very well. Will look better then the tabs.

So,... I am goign to start working on the lower shields now. Hopefully thet serts will be here soon. Peace.
Last edited by tribaloverkill on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to System Modification