Updating HDD from ATA to SATA - need some help

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Updating HDD from ATA to SATA - need some help

Postby Firebird » Mon May 15, 2006 8:44 am

I want to upgrade my old WD 5400 rpm IDE drive to an SATA drive, preferably a Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive. I know the raptors are better, but I don't want to spend the money on one. Here is my situation - I have a Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard, so it should support 3.0 SATA, right? I only plan to run ONE drive, this one, no raid or anything like that. So what SATA port should I plug this into? Is there anything I should know when installing my 1st SATA drive?? Thanks
Firebird
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue May 16, 2006 6:16 am

Check the mobo manual to note which SATA port is #1. That is the primary drive port. You will want to install the OS to that port. If using one SATA drive and no RAID setup, check in the BIOS page under "advanced" settings for the control line to set the status of the serial drive ports. Set to "Auto" is the best. Ensure in your boot order preference that the drive is listed as the next choice to boot to, after a default such as the fdd or CD-ROM. You have to assure the CD-ROM is first in the boot order, when installing. You will be prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM" when the bootable disk is sensed. You have only a few seconds to respond, then the path continues to the next bootable device. You should have to press a key only one time. Ignore the remaining prompts.
There are inexpensive adapters so the IDE drive can be connected to a SATA port. Set the drive to 'master' for SATA ports. There is no 'slave' setting with SATA. Those adapters also work well with optical drives.
If your OS is going into a new mobo or CPU setup, it will require a full reinstall.. those "repair" deals do not work well. Too many mobo driver changes.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General