How do I keep my Norton Updates for a mobo change?

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How do I keep my Norton Updates for a mobo change?

Postby Cas141 » Sat May 11, 2002 8:46 am

I am about to change the mobo and processor of my system and will use a new Hard drive also. My present Norton Systemworks has had about 6 or 7 anti virus updates since being loaded . When I re load the Systemworks on my "new " system I can see me having to go to live update and having to download all those definitions etc. I only have a 56K modem and it will take ages. I have a CD re Writer. Is there any way I can save the present definitions at present on my HD to a CD to re load when i make the change.If so, where are they located please.
TIA
Cas141
Initiate
Initiate

Postby timmib » Sat May 11, 2002 11:29 am

Greetings,

I'm not familiar with Norton's specifically but ... <s&g>

Perhaps the s/w documentation will tell you where the updates are kept. Like a database, these may be in a directory separate from the program material. Therefore, when you're ready to upgrade, save this data. After upgrading, reload Nortons then repopulate its data folder, or whatever it calls its updates folder.

Hope this helps.

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Rewrite

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat May 11, 2002 2:04 pm

What you could do is write the program directory to a CDR.
Get the new system up and running, install a fresh copy of the program into the same directory (using the same path). Then, once installed, use the CDR and copy the contents back and overwrite the current program.

Theoredically this should work. But I cannot guarentee it. If anything in the registry is used to determine how up-to-date it is, then it could end up screwing it up.

Good luck.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Sat May 11, 2002 8:39 pm

You will only have to download the latest AntiVirus update and not all of the previous ones. The latest update includes all previous updates.

Reloading SystemWorks will also restart your free update period again.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

You would think that...

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat May 11, 2002 9:08 pm

You will only have to download the latest AntiVirus update and not all of the previous ones. The latest update includes all previous updates

You think that Aussie, but that is not the case. When you update the virus definitions you have to keep downloading until it says "There are no more updates" - depending on the install (ie if his is a 2000 or 2001 version) this could take forever.

We're running into this problem at Compaq.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Sat May 11, 2002 9:27 pm

I never use LiveUpdate or Intelligent Updater I prefer to manually download and install AntiVirus updates. It's a little over a 3Mb download and once downloaded it takes about 2 seconds to install. You also get later definitions than through the "automatic" services.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

The update available currently (12th May) on the above page is dated 10th May 2002 for example.

The sort of problems you are seeing is exactly why I don't use the service.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Recommended

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat May 11, 2002 9:47 pm

I prefer to manually download and install AntiVirus updates

The link you provided is via the "Intelligent Updater"

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Sat May 11, 2002 10:11 pm

I stand corrected, when the update is downloaded and run the "Intelligent Updater" is what actually updates the AntiVirus program.

My argument regarding "manual" as opposed to "automatic" updating still stands though. Manual updating is a "one hit" process, the file takes me about 10 or 12 minutes to download on a 56k connection and about 2 seconds to install, job done.

I usually burn this file to a CDRW so that I can update customers machines in the shop or out in the field.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Cas141 » Sun May 12, 2002 2:07 am

Thanks for the inputs gents- If I understand you right, Aussie, after I have changed the mobo and loaded Systemworks, instead of using Live Update, I should go to the url you mention in the first reply of yours and download some definitions (zip file? ). How do i load them into Norton, are there instructions?
Cas141
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aussie » Sun May 12, 2002 2:17 am

Yes, that is correct. After you load SystemWorks go to the URL I provided and download the single executable file (exe not zip) at the top which will be named mmddi32.exe where mm is the month and dd is the day of the update.

Once you have the file on your hard drive double click it and follow the instructions, it simply asks if you want to update (yes/no) and then informs you that it has updated at the finish about 2 seconds later - dead easy.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General