Chatrooms

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Chatrooms

Postby BorderGuard » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:34 pm

Folks,

I am having a problem setting up a chatroom on my website and was wanting to see if any of you know how to fix this problem.

First, I use Freewebs.com to setup my domain and handle my account.

They have an offer of helping to setup a chatroom by adding some code supplied by the site and putting it anywhere on the site that one desires.

I do not think that I can show that code directly because it is supplied by Freewebs but if anyone uses Freewebs, please let me know how you went about doing this.

I have put a blog, guest account, etc. on my site (all the usual stuff) but have not figured out how to get my Chatroom to work.

You visit my site at http://www.hardenstravels.com/.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by BorderGuard on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BorderGuard

Postby DAVE1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:43 pm

the link you put in goes to Freewebs site
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BorderGuard » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Yep, you were right. I changed it though and it now goes to my website. :wink:
BorderGuard

Postby Reader » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:08 am

Borderguard,

It works with Internet Explorer, freezes and crashes Firefox.

Java-based chat works, but it's not as reliable and fast-loading as phpMyChat.

Freewebs doesn't support PHP, mySQL , cgi, perl etc.

You've put a lot of work into the site. Treat yourself to a webhost that gives you full features. You can use Coppermine to quickly update photos from your trips etc. when it supports PHP. A good site will only cost you around $100 a year.
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Reader » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:48 am

hmmmm.

Logging into your java-based chat yields some strange results...like it reports that YOU entered the room when I did.

You code looks like:
Code: Select all
<applet
  codebase =" http://members7.freewebs.com/fwschat/"
  code     =" fwschat.FwsChat.class"
  name     =" FwsChat"
  width    =" 900"
  height   =" 600"
  hspace   =" 40"
  vspace   =" 0"
  align    =" middle"
>
          <param name="user" value="Bo's">

</applet>

If this java client works like most others, param name="user" value=" " is the correct setting. Otherwise, everyone who logs in will be listed in the userlist as 'Bo' (the apostrophe probably cuts the string there...) There should be LOT of other parameters you can invoke.

The width and height settings are excessive. The hspace is probably linked to leaving 40 pixels for the list of logged-in-users. You can experiment with those settings.

------------

There are working versions of java chat that would seem to perform better than this one if you don't want to pay for a php-enabled server.

This has nothing to do with your freeweb host. It's a remote server that you can link to and create your own private, non-listed chatroom.

http://www.webmaster.com/products/download.htm

Conference Room chat allows you to customize the code. It can get pretty complicated, but its a more advanced version than what you're getting. (Color text, smilies etc.)

Also, consider bringing up the chat window as a resizeable popup...otherwise, users aren't able to navigate away from your page in that session.

JavaScriptKit has an excellent popup window code generator that's simple to use.

Hope that helps!
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Programming